Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I imagine had Munster been forced into promoting Casey six months ago we wouldn't see Nick McCarthy or Cronin on the books next season.

Not the first time a province was "forced" into offering contracts based on another province being interested in a player and it won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭slingerz

troyzer wrote: »
    Exactly.

You've hit the nail on the head. If Munster had decided to back their academy they probably would have another game or two but they'd have unearthed a quality prospect at 9 and wouldn't have wasted money on Mathewson and wouldn't have felt the need to sign McCarthy. They probably would have kept Cronin anyway.

Instead, they never let him near a game and it was up to the U20s team to let him shine.

Mathewson is the 2nd best scrum half in the country, pretty close to being the best IMO. Hardly a waste of money to bring him in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

slingerz wrote: »
    Mathewson is the 2nd best scrum half in the country, pretty close to being the best IMO. Hardly a waste of money to bring him in

If he was so good then why was he without a contract before Munster picked him up?

Also, if he is so good then why are half the clubs in France/England not knocking the door down to sign him? instead he takes a short term contract with Munster which means he is unemployed just before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Exactly.

You've hit the nail on the head. If Munster had decided to back their academy they probably would have another game or two but they'd have unearthed a quality prospect at 9 and wouldn't have wasted money on Mathewson and wouldn't have felt the need to sign McCarthy. They probably would have kept Cronin anyway.

Instead, they never let him near a game and it was up to the U20s team to let him shine.

That's not even remotely true. He's decent but I wouldn't have him ahead of Cooney, Marmion, McGrath or even Blade.

It's a waste of money bringing him in when you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Should post it up on the Leinster thread everytime they mention that they are the academy for Munster

I'd rather not:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I imagine had Munster been forced into promoting Casey six months ago we wouldn't see Nick McCarthy or Cronin on the books next season.

I would really hope they would still have proceeded with the McCarthy deal. He's no world beater but he's at least shown himself to be capable of performing at Pro14 level.

I would be very uneasy at putting too many eggs in the Craig Casey basket, yes he's a great prospect but most great prospects don't go much further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If he was so good then why was he without a contract before Munster picked him up?

His family have gone back to Australia, so possibly on his way back to them when Munster offered a short term contract.

Also, if he is so good then why are half the clubs in France/England not knocking the door down to sign him? instead he takes a short term contract with Munster which means he is unemployed just before Christmas

Suits to remain in Ireland on short term contract until after RWC and the start of super rugby season.

jm08 wrote: »
    Suits to remain in Ireland on short term contract until after RWC and the start of super rugby season.

Not according to him:

“Yes, for me, long-term would be ideal. It has been tough the last two years for me. I have lived in five countries the last two years, just as I said, picking up contracts here and there.
    “I am looking for something long-term. It is tough on my family, my oldest son is eight, he has been to five different schools in the last two years and this is probably the toughest period, I have never been away from him for this long and obviously over Christmas it makes it even tougher, but I sort of said to him that it is not forever, just for myself and for them, long-term (contract) is the plan.”

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    jm08 wrote: »

Not according to him:

“Yes, for me, long-term would be ideal. It has been tough the last two years for me. I have lived in five countries the last two years, just as I said, picking up contracts here and there.
    “I am looking for something long-term. It is tough on my family, my oldest son is eight, he has been to five different schools in the last two years and this is probably the toughest period, I have never been away from him for this long and obviously over Christmas it makes it even tougher, but I sort of said to him that it is not forever, just for myself and for them, long-term (contract) is the plan.”

It also makes no sense to go back to Super Rugby. He could make way more money in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

surely Munster need to let more academy players go abroad or elsewhere eg Connacht in the hope that they come back by 23/24?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    surely Munster need to let more academy players go abroad or elsewhere eg Connacht in the hope that they come back by 23/24?

It's easy on paper to say this but many academy players are attending university at the same time.

phog wrote: »
    Not the first time a province was "forced" into offering contracts based on another province being interested in a player and it won't be the last.

I agree and it wasn't a criticism of Munster, just thinking in hindsight. IIRC Casey was out injured throughout his academy stint and only came to national prominence during the U20 6N. Munster cannot wait around if a player like McCarthy becomes available when there is a need for SH depth.

More to FF's point, with the current SHs under contract there's no need to press Casey into service just yet. I do hope he gets a run of games in the Celtic Cup to press his case however.

On another note (not at you phog), the Mathewson discussion is getting as tiresome as Zebo talk. Pages upon pages concerning one player who isn't a starter. Can we just let it go?

That's not even remotely true. He's decent but I wouldn't have him ahead of Cooney, Marmion, McGrath or even Blade.

Streets ahead of those guys.

I agree and it wasn't a criticism of Munster, just thinking in hindsight. IIRC Casey was out injured throughout his academy stint and only came to national prominence during the U20 6N. Munster cannot wait around if a player like McCarthy becomes available when there is a need for SH depth.

More to FF's point, with the current SHs under contract there's no need to press Casey into service just yet. I do hope he gets a run of games in the Celtic Cup to press his case however.

On another note (not at you phog), the Mathewson discussion is getting as tiresome as Zebo talk. Pages upon pages concerning one player who isn't a starter. Can we just let it go?

The scrum halves Munster have after the RWC will be Murray, Cronin, McCarthy & Casey. For me McCarthy will be second choice, i think Cronin needs to up his fitness to get to the rucks especially later in the game. Casey will play primarly in the A team games & AIL depending in the injury situation. He may see gametime from the bench in PRO14 during international windows

Well there's a clearly a wind up happening or could it be the beer?

Such a pity there is a game tomorrow that they'd be interested in

semi final sold out? nothing on ticketmaster?

Streets ahead of those guys.

Alright, we'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Munster do have some high quality academy lads. Wycherly will be seeing a lot of time next season, so will Liam O Connor. I expect Shane Daly to be in the mix also.
    The likes of Nash and Coombes could also see a lot of time next year!
    That's not a bad return.

Bitter Leinster next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Will put a very interesting spin on each team's season depending on who wins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

leakyboots wrote: »
    Will put a very interesting spin on each team's season depending on who wins

Probably more important for Leinster to be honest, their pride got a battering today, they need the win more than we do to restore their confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Probably more important for Leinster to be honest, their pride got a battering today, they need the win more than we do to restore their confidence

I dunno... you lads just had two coaches turn their backs on you...

Where's the buildup thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I dunno... you lads just had two coaches turn their backs on you...

Where's the buildup thread?

And they needed Nigel to gift them a win against Treviso. No wonder Felix and Flannery resigned in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Clegg wrote: »
    And they needed Nigel to gift them a win against Treviso. No wonder Felix and Flannery resigned in shame.

ah here

Does anyone else think the Anthony Foley memorial trophy is a bit... underwhelming?

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the Anthony Foley memorial trophy is a bit... underwhelming?

Looks like a joke trophy from a pound shop.

Mike Ruddock is the latest name being touted for the position left vacant by Fla's leaving...this one is almost a definite imo

Buses to the match on Saturday
    Munster Rugby SC
    @MRSC16

MRSC members - buses from Limerick and Cork to Dublin for this Saturday's PRO14 semi final with Leinster available via your MRSC account now. Tickets cost €20. #SUAF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Who is this "experienced rugby coach" currently coaching in the English Premiership, that talks are taking place between himself and Munster rugby, according to yesterday's Sunday Independent?

• Advertisement

Who is this "experienced rugby coach" currently coaching in the English Premiership, that talks are taking place between himself and Munster rugby, according to yesterday's Sunday Independent?

Deccie

Advertisement