Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That rumoured appointment seems to be more to do with convenience rather than getting someone in who is the right man for the job. Ruddock hasn't coached pro rugby since 2010. I'm sure he has something to offer and has proven in the past to be a canny operator but there must be an inherent risk with hiring someone who has been out of the top level for so long.

I would imagine there's a touch of wanting to bring in someone who has links to Irish rugby too though although I'd prefer Munster to bring in the best person they can regardless of their history/nationality.

I'm surpried that JVG isn't looking at just taking on the forwards himself, to be honest, given his background.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That’d be a big shock for me if it happens. Very surprising stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ruddock as a temporary appointment while they wait for their real coach to come back from Japan might make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some good news on the injury front
    The Munster squad started their week’s training at the High Performance Centre in Limerick today ahead of Saturday’s sold-out Guinness PRO14 semi-final against Leinster at the RDS (2.30pm).
    Keith Earls, Joey Carbery and Rhys Marshall return to full training this week and will be monitored as the week progresses.

The following are progressing with rehabilitation: Jeremy Loughman (hamstring), Alex Wootton (knee), Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Good news, though Earls has had a couple of false dawns. Would be great to see both Earls and Carbery fit and firing this weekend (though you'd be a little worried about rustiness / rushing them back).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

POM, Joey and Beirne on Midols Champions Cup 15 of season. https://twitter.com/Jamesonrugby/status/1127923747132989441?s=19

Officials for Saturday
    Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU)
    AR1: Lloyd Linton (IRFU),
    AR2: Keith Allen (SRU)
    TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was a story in the Sunday Papers saying that the contract offer to Flannery and Jones were ones that could easily be turned down, as in Munster didn't try too hard at all to keep them.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There was a story in the Sunday Papers saying that the contract offer to Flannery and Jones were ones that could easily be turned down, as in Munster didn't try too hard at all to keep them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that 100% believes everything they read in the Sunday papers

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

phog wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that 100% believes everything they read in the Sunday papers

seems that same line was expressed by ruairi o connor last night on MNR.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

sydthebeat wrote: »

That guy fact hunts on Munsterfans.

shure if it was repeated it really must be true

phog wrote: »
    shure if it was repeated it really must be true

in the absence of any other reason... it certainly could be.

Both men turned down the contracts offered.

so either the finances and / or terms of employment were not so attractive that they couldnt be turned down....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

in the absence of any other reason... it certainly could be.

Both men turned down the contracts offered.

so either the finances and / or terms of employment were not so attractive that they couldnt be turned down....

Is something "could be true" not a fairly low bar? Reality is only those involved have full knowledge of it

Jesus lads, not everything is a slight... You're unbelievably precious about this.

Its undeniable that you didn't expect Jones and fla to refuse the contracts offered, or you would have had replacements set up.

Its also undeniable that they were not offered a contract they couldn't refuse as eh, they refused what they were offered.

Nothing else has been suggested anywhere, other than the contracts were not robust enough in their terms and / or their finances....
    So in the absence of anything else, yes that's the bar I'll set at.

If they were being released with munsters blessing this would have been reported in a competely different fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Jesus lads, not everything is a slight... You're unbelievably precious about this.

Its undeniable that you didn't expect Jones and fla to refuse the contracts offered, or you would have had replacements set up.

Its also undeniable that they were not offered a contract they couldn't refuse as eh, they refused what they were offered.

Nothing else has been suggested anywhere, other than the contracts were not robust enough in their terms and / or their finances....
    So in the absence of anything else, yes that's the bar I'll set at.

If they were being released with munsters blessing this would have been reported in a competely different fashion.

It's most likely not the money, but the need to be stepped back to a supporting role that wasn't agreeable, especially with Jones

Erik Shun wrote: »
    It's most likely not the money, but the need to be stepped back to a supporting role that wasn't agreeable, especially with Jones

Agreed, and im wondering did fla and Felix view themselves as a two parts of the one coaching team... And also, did munster, going by the reports that they were both offered similar contracts?

Erik Shun wrote: »

Agreed, and im wondering did fla and Felix view themselves as a two parts of the one coaching team... And also, did munster, going by the reports that they were both offered similar contracts?

The narrative I heard was that they were taking something of a home town discount as it was and were expecting something closer to market rate.

When Munster offered them below what they were hoping for and also made it clear they were looking for extra staff, that was the nail in the coffin.

Either way, Munster bottled it. They should have demanded an answer months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

A long interview here with Scott Robertson and ROG. Really interesting stuff about the coaching setup in the Crusaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMmOOzn9R-k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

troyzer wrote: »
    The narrative I heard was that they were taking something of a home town discount as it was and were expecting something closer to market rate.

When Munster offered them below what they were hoping for and also made it clear they were looking for extra staff, that was the nail in the coffin.

You've been reading the comments section of the Indo for your narrative again

troyzer wrote: »

Bearing in mind that one of Fla's businesses is Maxmedia (co-director) which made a profit of about 800,000 last year, I doubt if Fla is particularly worried about being unable to pay for the groceries on his Munster paycheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jm08 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that one of Fla's businesses is Maxmedia (co-director) which made a profit of about 800,000 last year, I doubt if Fla is particularly worried about being unable to pay for the groceries on his Munster paycheque.

Not sure what that has got to do with his coaching career?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure what that has got to do with his coaching career?

Counters the claim that was made that Fla left because the money wasn't good enough with Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Counters the claim that was made that Fla left because the money wasn't good enough with Munster.

I really have no interest in this debate but it certainly doesn’t counter that claim, he must have a sense of his own self worth and having other income doesn’t mean he would take lower money than he deserves.

:p

Are you actually been serious now or just trying to wind people up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    :p

Are you actually been serious now or just trying to wind people up?

Ever hear of the pot bro? You are the pot..

salmocab wrote: »
    I really have no interest in this debate but it certainly doesn’t counter that claim, he must have a sense of his own self worth and having other income doesn’t mean he would take lower money than he deserves.

Once you've got a certain amount, money isn't a huge motivator (particularly when you are obviously very successful in your business dealings and the job at Munster facilitates that with its proximity to his businesses which is something he won't be close to if he gets a job outside of Ireland).

Duration of contract might be a much bigger issue I think ;)

salmocab wrote: »

Once you've got a certain amount, money isn't a huge motivator (particularly when you are obviously very successful in your business dealings and the job at Munster facilitates that with its proximity to his businesses which is something he won't be close to if he gets a job outside of Ireland).

The figure still matters. It is about how much he feels he's valued and adds to Munster.

If they gave him what he perceived to be an insulting offer, it would go a long way to explaining how abrupt this was.

• Advertisement

Do you know anything about the company? do you know if they pushed the profit back into the business to grow it further?

Fla was doing a great job for Munster, nothing has been confirmed if he was or wasn't offered under his value. If Munster did then they are idiots.....

Not sure why anyone would mention his other business interest as reasons to why he should/shouldnt accept a contract with Munster

Everyone including Woodie said they had no idea why he left but he suggested that maybe Fla/Jones seens themselves as a team. Jones maybe wanted out because of the comments about bringing in a new coach, Fla followed him. Again that was nothing confirmed.

Advertisement