Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jm08 wrote: »
    Once you've got a certain amount, money isn't a huge motivator (particularly when you are obviously very successful in your business dealings and the job at Munster facilitates that with its proximity to his businesses which is something he won't be close to if he gets a job outside of Ireland).

Duration of contract might be a much bigger issue I think ;)

That’s utter nonsense. He’s a successful business man because it is a motivator. Im not arguing that it’s a reason he’s leaving btw I’m arguing that your point was nonsense. He could well be leaving for many reasons and good luck to him but to say it’s not money because he has plenty is not a sound argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bearing in mind that one of Fla's businesses is Maxmedia (co-director) which made a profit of about 800,000 last year, I doubt if Fla is particularly worried about being unable to pay for the groceries on his Munster paycheque.

The business making a profit doesn't mean Flannery took that much from it. He is a co director so its possible he got zero from it.

Of course his Munster paycheque matters if he feels Munster lowball him because they think they can get him for far less compared to what he thinks he can expect to command

Plenty of people in his type of position lost homes 10 years ago on the back of a recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ever hear of the pot bro?

This sounds like a really dodgy pitch at selling someone weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This sounds like a really dodgy pitch at selling someone weed.

Some people are best stuck on ignore.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Some people are best stuck on ignore.....

Yes, yes indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you know anything about the company? do you know if they pushed the profit back into the business to grow it further?

Yep. Seems to be growing. It employs about 80 people now - they have expanded into UK. I heard is partner saying that they had paid off their 5-year bank loan recently. Then of course Fla has the pub in Limerick as well.

Fla was doing a great job for Munster, nothing has been confirmed if he was or wasn't offered under his value. If Munster did then they are idiots.....

Someone here had heard that Fla may have been offered a contract that undervalued him.

Not sure why anyone would mention his other business interest as reasons to why he should/shouldnt accept a contract with Munster
    Only offering a different view as to why I think that money would not be a reason for Fla deciding to leave Munster. He has a lot of business interests to keep him there.

Everyone including Woodie said they had no idea why he left but he suggested that maybe Fla/Jones seens themselves as a team. Jones maybe wanted out because of the comments about bringing in a new coach, Fla followed him. Again that was nothing confirmed.

No one seems to know - but that doesn't stop anyone from speculating what the reasons are.

The reason I heard was that the length of contract extension of 1 year was the issue (which would have allowed Felix and Fla to help the new coaches settle in before they got the boot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Bearing in mind that one of Fla's businesses is Maxmedia (co-director) which made a profit of about 800,000 last year, I doubt if Fla is particularly worried about being unable to pay for the groceries on his Munster paycheque.

Hate to break it to you but that 800k doesn’t all go into his back pocket, employees to pay and as co director I’m sure he made closer to 10-15% of that, however he is linked with London Irish and no doubt if joins kiss and kidney over there with the squad their building that Munster will live to regret lowballing him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but that 800k doesn’t all go into his back pocket, employees to pay and as co director I’m sure he made closer to 10-15% of that, however he is linked with London Irish and no doubt if joins kiss and kidney over there with the squad their building that Munster will live to regret lowballing him

I know he wouldn't get 800K, but he would have got director's fees. The profits of 800K suggest that the company is trading successfully.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fla ended up with London Irish. There is a Barry Murphy interview on joe.ie (part of the andrew and Bas thing they do there) where he talks about the great environment in Munster during the 2006-08 period and that he under appreciated the coaching staff at Munster for that, so he is obviously a big Declan Kidney fan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Duration of contract might be a much bigger issue I think ;)

Ping!

We have a winner - same way they shafted Penney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Only offering a different view as to why I think that money would not be a reason for Fla deciding to leave Munster. He has a lot of business interests to keep him there.

So because he is an accomplished businessman, he would be more likely to accept a contract he feels undervalues himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bizarre if true

It's very hard to imagine that IRFU would sanction Pollard after moving Carbery south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pollard is reportedly getting 1.2m a year at Montpellier. While the provinces aren't poor, I don't think any player ineligible for Ireland would get near that money from an Irish side.

A top class international 10 would be a boost of course but Carbery is the man for the next three years at least with serviceable backups available.

I imagine there has been significant money freed up with the 11-12 players being let go. Maybe we'll see one or two names added but I doubt they'll be in the Pollard range.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ping!

We have a winner - same way they shafted Penney

That's an urban myth. The opposite is the truth. Ignore what you read in the papers or Twitter on this subject.

p.s. The discussion is on Fla and Jones leaving is completely valueless. Without facts it holds no water at all. They could be leaving for any number of reasons, and we'll never know which.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's an urban myth. The opposite is the truth. Ignore what you read in the papers or Twitter on this subject.

p.s. The discussion is on Fla and Jones leaving is completely valueless. Without facts it holds no water at all. They could be leaving for any number of reasons, and we'll never know which.

I thought it was widely considered accurate that Penny took a 3-year deal in Japan vs a 1-year extension to his Munster deal?

EDIT: I'm not agreeing with the previous poster that that amounts to "shafting" but duration of contract seems to have been an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

aloooof wrote: »
    I thought it was widely considered accurate that Penny took a 3-year deal in Japan vs a 1-year extension to his Munster deal?

He originally signed a 2 year deal with the option of a third, which Munster wanted to invoke. It was the standard IRFU contract at the time. Mark Anscombe was on the same contract in Ulster and had initially agreed to his 1 year extension before he quit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

EDIT: I'm not agreeing with the previous poster that that amounts to "shafting" but duration of contract seems to have been an issue.

Forget the "widely considered" stuff.

Penney messed Munster around. He isn't well thought of at Munster Rugby as a result.

Forget the "widely considered" stuff.

Penney messed Munster around. He isn't well thought of at Munster Rugby as a result.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Penney got flack from everyone at Munster, including fans, press, ex player etc. Even Keith Wood who never really has a go at coaching staff was on "Off the Ball" on a regular basis giving out about him. Saying the style didn't suit Munster, he should revert back to the old way etc etc etc

All of the fans wanted Foley to take over and Penney was never given a proper chance.

Not sure why people are pointing at Penney? it was clear Munster and everyone involved wanted him out and Foley to take over

Similar to Matt O'Connor at Leinster....but the push for Leo wasn't the reason MOC got the boot. The day MOC made those comments about players away for 6 nations he should have just walked out the door.....also his kick the s**t out of the ball tactics would never last long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes, that is exactly what happened. I wouldn't consider it a 'shafting', results under Penney weren't exactly stellar so I don't think he had a divine right to a long-term extension.

Ultimately, Penney knew he was just warming up the seat for Foley. Maybe he would have moved into a DoR role with Foley as head coach or something, I don't know, but Foley was the anointed one.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Not sure why people are pointing at Penney? it was clear Munster and everyone involved wanted him out and Foley to take over

Once again you are completely wrong.

Penney was actually offered an attractive new contract by Munster.

How?

Regarding his contract renewal. It was quite a drawn out saga and the detail wasn't as widely reported or believed.

Suffice to say he's not popular with the big cheeses.

Regarding his contract renewal. It was quite a drawn out saga and the detail wasn't as widely reported or believed.

Suffice to say he's not popular with the big cheeses.

He had a 2 year contact with the option of a 3rd. He chose not to sign it, instead taking a 3 year deal in Japan. I don't see where he messed Munster around. Equally, I don't see where Munster messed him around.

As I said earlier don't believe the media on that

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Once again you are completely wrong.

Penney was actually offered an attractive new contract by Munster.

no he wasnt.

Garreth Fitzgerald himself said that Penny wasnt offered an approved deal over his original contract.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rob-penney-leaving-munster-for-coaching-role-in-japan-29999777.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no he wasnt.

Garreth Fitzgerald himself said that Penny wasnt offered an approved deal over his original contract.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rob-penney-leaving-munster-for-coaching-role-in-japan-29999777.html

Don’t believe the truth

sydthebeat wrote:

You need to read that again. Slowly.

Garrett said that his offer wasn't increased. That's not the same as saying it was the same as the original contract.

It'll be impossible to satisfy you and others on this but mark my words - Penney isn't well regarded in Munster Rugby regarding those negotiations.

Don’t believe the truth

No just don't automatically believe what you read in the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Don’t believe the truth

No just don't automatically believe what you read in the papers.

Yeah, believe some guy on the internet instead.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You need to read that again. Slowly.

Garrett said that his offer wasn't increased. That's not the same as saying it was the same as the original contract.

It'll be impossible to satisfy you and others on this but mark my words - Penney isn't well regarded in Munster Rugby regarding those negotiations.

maybe you should take your own advice....

that offering an improved offer on his current deal "wasn't considered".

Penny was never put onto a second contract over the original 2 + 1 he was on.... therefore that was the "current" deal that was referred to.

if you have information to the contrary, please feel free to share.

Advertisement