Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kevin O'Byrne 2020
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 2
    Eoghan Clarke Year 2

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2020
    Liam O'Connor 2020
    Jeremy Loughman 2020

James French Year 2
    Josh Wycherley Year 2

Stephen Archer 2020
    John Ryan 2022
    Brian Scott 2020
    Ciaran Parker 2020

Keynan Knox Year 3 & 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Billy Holland 2020
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Sean O'Connor 2020
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 2

Arno Botha 2020
    Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Conor Oliver 2020
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 2
    Jack O'Sullivan Year 3

Craig Casey 2021
    Neil Cronin 2021
    Alby Mathewson Nov 2019
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Jack Stafford Year 3

Tyler Bleyendaal 2021
    Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Ben Healy Year 2
    Alan Tynan Year 3

Sam Arnold 2020
    Shane Daly 2021
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2020
    Rory Scannell 2021

Sean French Year 2
    Alex McHenry Year 3

Andrew Conway 2020
    Keith Earls 2021
    Mike Haley 2021
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Liam Coombes Year 3
    Jonathan Wren Year 2

2019/20 Movements:
    IN: Nick McCarthy (SH, Leinster)
    OUT: Mike Sherry (HK, Gloucester/TBC), Dave O'Callaghan (FL, Biarritz), Duncan Williams (SH, TBC), James Hart (SH, Biarritz), Ian Keatley (FH, Benetton), Bill Johnston (FH, Ulster), Matt More (CT, South Africa), Jaco Taute (CT, Leicester Tigers), James McCarthy (WG, Wales/TBC), Ronan O'Mahony (WG, Retired), Stephen Fitzgerald (WG, Connacht)

2019/20 NIEs:
    Arno Botha (capped), Chris Cloete (uncapped), Alby Mathewson (capped)

The senior squad for 2019/20 now stands at 44 players, including Alby Mathewson for the RWC.
    The new academy year one players are to be confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That list if players out vs players in is mental.

I know a lot of them were well behind in the pecking order and the squad was arguably too big, but that's a huge cut of players to be leaving the setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I know a lot of them were well behind in the pecking order and the squad was arguably too big, but that's a huge cut of players to be leaving the setup.

I'm sure a few players will join the academy to balance it out slightly but it's a clearout alright, particularly as I've included players that left during the season. Johnston is probably the biggest loss, given his upside, which is a good sign.

Looking towards this time next year, there are a lot of scope to make changes to the forwards. Billy Holland turns 35 in August 2020 so next season is probably his last and you'd hope Wycherley or someone else will be in the first choice 23 by then. Keynan Knox is already signed up to join the senior squad for 2020/21 so there will be movement at THP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its well needed IMO. No need for such a huge squad. Also some of those players have been announced as leaving for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

jm08 wrote: »
    From listening to/reading some interviews with ROG and Scott Robinson where they explain their coaching philosophy, they place a huge emphasis on the players playing together from a young age and recruit for their academy from all over NZ rather than later in their careers so that by the stage they get to play Super Rugby they play instinctively because they know all their team mates are likely to do in a given situation. ROG seems very taken with this strategy. One of the things that ROG also said was that he has charge of the 17 backs in the squad, and he worries more about the ones who don't play than the ones who get to play.
    Munster dont have to worry about kids not having played together when young enough they all do...
    In Munster, most of the backs haven't played with each other for more than a few games and Joey is new into the squad. In Leinster, the bulk of the academy seems to come from one or two schools so there are plenty of lads who have been playing together or against each other since they were 12 or 13. When you look at the Munster team, ROG and Stringer were playing together from the age of 12 or 13, and the Munster forwards were mainly made up of the Shannon team that won several AILs.
    that forward pack was a completely different era. cant be compared to know and of that pack there was plenty from all over province who were in shannon for a short period...
    and the bulk of leinsters academy isnt really 1/2 schools. far better distribution than munsters

thats a good thing that the players out list is far longer. much smaller squad should benefit everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Confirmation that Doug Howlett is returning home and that Munster have been aware of it for a while. https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/20/howlett-to-return-to-new-zealand/

Munster Rugby Head of Commercial and Marketing Doug Howlett has confirmed his intention to return to New Zealand in the autumn

Munster Rugby Acting CEO Philip Quinn said: “With Doug excelling in a senior management role we were always informed of his future plans to return to New Zealand.

Confirmation that Doug Howlett is returning home and that Munster have been aware of it for a while. https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/20/howlett-to-return-to-new-zealand/

Munster Rugby Head of Commercial and Marketing Doug Howlett has confirmed his intention to return to New Zealand in the autumn

Munster Rugby Acting CEO Philip Quinn said: “With Doug excelling in a senior management role we were always informed of his future plans to return to New Zealand.

Yup nothing to see here basically. Its click bait news. Old news at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Yup nothing to see here basically. Its click bait news. Old news at that.

Munster rugby officially confirming him leaving 20 minutes is not old news or clickbait:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

My god lads will ye stop entertaining the WUMs - this thread is a shocker, if some of the stuff trolled here was on another thread they'd be bans handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

phog wrote: »
    My god lads will ye stop entertaining the WUMs - this thread is a shocker, if some of the stuff trolled here was on another thread they'd be bans handed out.

What is a WUMs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What is a WUMs?

Wind

Up

Merchant

s is the plural.

Squatter wrote: »
    Wind

Up

Merchant

s is the plural.

Everyone is accused of that, once they have a different opinion they are automatically a troll or wind up or something else.....

Everyone is accused of that, once they have a different opinion they are automatically a troll or wind up or something else.....

Yep.

And you'd want to see what the Mods here do to posters who believe that rugby threads are a form of contact sport!

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Munster rugby officially confirming him leaving 20 minutes is not old news or clickbait:confused:

Any Munster fan with his/her ear to the ground has known Howlett has been intending to leave for some while now. Its not news to me and its certainly no cause for alarm, he was on the commercial advisory panel ffs.

The click bait merchants are going as if this one further crisis for munster or something. Its not.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think Howlett moving is a big deal. He was on one of the podcasts a few months ago and I remember getting the impression that it was more Munster doing him a favour to build his CV as he transitioned to a new career. He was always going to move on when he got his fill and good luck to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There's opinion and then there's fact. You recently posted that

1. Jerry Flannery had built one of the best defence's in Europe when our defense coach is JP Ferreira, and

2. That Craig Casey will never see first team action while in Munster, when he had made his debut off the bench 10 days previously.

And that's only recent stuff off the top of my head. You're entitled to you opinion, but stuff like that is why you seem to cop so much flak.

aloooof wrote: »
    There's opinion and then there's fact. You recently posted that

1. Jerry Flannery had built one of the best defence's in Europe when our defense coach is JP Ferreira, and

2. That Craig Casey will never see first team action while in Munster, when he had made his debut off the bench 10 days previously.

And that's only recent stuff off the top of my head. You're entitled to you opinion, but stuff like that is why you seem to cop so much flak.

1. I will give you, but I do think forwards have a small bit to do with defense.

Not sure what the Craig Casey bit is about, nothing to do with me.

I did say Johnson wasn't getting enough time and getting blocked. I think that was an opinion.

The point I made about Flannery was he was an excellent coach and shouldn't have been let go, is that incorrect?

Every few pages the order here seems to be come up with a new acronym to try and insult posters. Bit sad really. Doesn't seem to happen on every other thread.

Ask a question or raise a point and expect 20 posts of insults and bashing instead of a decent answer

The point I made about Flannery was he was an excellent coach and shouldn't have been let go, is that incorrect?

We won't really know that until he has proved himself at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm sure a few players will join the academy to balance it out slightly but it's a clearout alright, particularly as I've included players that left during the season. Johnston is probably the biggest loss, given his upside, which is a good sign.
    Its well needed IMO. No need for such a huge squad. Also some of those players have been announced as leaving for some time.
    thats a good thing that the players out list is far longer. much smaller squad should benefit everyone

Yeah I agree that given the squad size it's the right size, more just amazed at the size of the list than anything. And as said, other than the likes of Johnston, the rest didn't really have much of a prospect other than being dirt trackers for a season or two longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

1. I will give you, but I do think forwards have a small bit to do with defense.

Not sure what the Craig Casey bit is about, nothing to do with me. I did say Johnson wasn't getting enough time and getting blocked. I think that was an opinion.

Here is a direct reply to this article about Leinster approaching Craig Casey.
    Shefwedfan
    Indo seems to forget the rolling contracts handed out to Mathewson....shocked I am

He will never see first team action while in Munster

Ulster could be a decent move for him, Connacht are loaded and Leinster ok with McGrath and JGP

Casey had made his debut against Connacht 10 days previously.

I'd have prefer to have seen him staying on as well. But I don't think it's correct to say he was let go. We know he (and Felix) were offered a contract and they both turned it down. Anything else beyond that is speculation. I'll admit it's far from ideal, and something doesn't seem quite right with it, but I suspect we won't know what happened for sure for quite some time.
    Ask a question or raise a point and expect 20 posts of insults and bashing instead of a decent answer

You absolutely can but your "Doris the tea lady" type posts just aren't gonna endear you to anyone.

• Advertisement

I just think the easy answer is sack the lads.

Ah sheffy sheffy sheffy which is it was he sacked or let go?

:pac:

Look no he shouldn't have been 'left' go but what can Munster do? He didn't want to accept the contract offered to him. Its pointless discussing it. We don't know what happened, what the contract length was, money involved or other caveats about new coaches being appointed to oversee him or Jones whatever.

I wish Flans the best and whoever gets him are lucky. Its such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

New Munster home and alternate strips behind launched THIS WEDNESDAY. Many months earlier than usual!

Caranica wrote: »
    New Munster home and alternate strips behind launched THIS WEDNESDAY. Many months earlier than usual!

Link?

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Link?

Email from Lifestyle sports, no time or further detail just the usual pr spin

"Your armour may change, but the battle stays the same.

On Wednesday, 22nd of May, the thread reforms and the new Munster Rugby Home and Alternate Jerseys will launch exclusively to Life Style Sports.

#LiveMunster #ProudSponsor #MunsterRugby #SUAF"

On Wednesday, 22nd of May, the thread reforms and the new Munster Rugby Home and Alternate Jerseys will launch exclusively to Life Style Sports.

very strange its so early. MRSC vouchers dont typically come out until September/October

we have the Euro jersey for another season anyway,

So we will have a new Pro 14 home jersey and an away jersey.

Plus all the training gear etc.

Maybe they're launching it earlier because its a new Pro 14 jersey and they don't want the launch to clash with the RWC build-up,

There were no MRSC vouchers last season! 10% code should still work but the days of the 20% vouchers are over since Leinster moved to addidas/Lifestyle too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Definitely in crisis mode if launching the kit this early :pac:

Mc Love wrote: »

Season doesn't start until 27 September so I guess it's a matter of trying to keep interest. Or allowing people to save up to buy them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

From TRKs on Twitter
    At the end of the 2018/19 season, Munster Rugby recorded an attendance increase of 15% with ticket sales up 10% across the season #SUAF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Mc Love wrote: »

Adidas want them launched before the WC jersey launch I'd imagine.

plus it'll be like 90 euro :pac:

Advertisement