Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

Francis has no desire to position himself as an informed rugby commentator. He is a troll and has been for a long time and he is completely self aware about it.

The first I'm reading about the comments he made are written in that apology and I would have been oblivious to them otherwise. That I'm certainly not alone in that, and the fact that the page itself is chock full of ads should really tell you how much you should be caring about either his original article or this correction.

Francis has gotten exactly what he wants, more notoriety and more clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Freejacks signed Poland! Was very impressed with him at u20 level.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Who??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Who??
    John Poland. was 20s 2016. was around academy for short period with Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Who??

Team in the US league sign talented young Munster scrumhalf.

• Advertisement

The IRFU have a deal with the freejacks as a kind of development team.

So I think we will see more of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

When was this announced?

My bad, I thought something like that was said when they announced the development series last year... But I can't find any mention of it now.... So I'm probably mixing things up.

My bad, I thought something like that was said when they announced the development series last year... But I can't find any mention of it now.... So I'm probably mixing things up.

The Scottish Rugby Union are part owners of the new team in Washington DC. Is that what you're talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A few contracts here or there in the MLR isn't a bad idea. Perhaps one or two players will emerge as a future option for the provinces.

• Advertisement

A few contracts here or there in the MLR isn't a bad idea. Perhaps one or two players will emerge as a future option for the provinces.

Yeah, I think the SRU might be onto a winner here.

Offers a pathway for potential exiles as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The AIL is a better solution for the provinces. The MLR is a good option for anyone who isn’t going to make it here, offers a good alternative to Pro D2. It’s not a pathway in any meaningful way.

According to the head coach, the freejacks have some kiwis arriving too. He said mlr and the miter cup don't coincide and that several kiwis will play mlr.
    The Irish contingent at the freejacks:
    Leader
    Poland
    Kindregan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The AIL is a better solution for the provinces. The MLR is a good option for anyone who isn’t going to make it here, offers a good alternative to Pro D2. It’s not a pathway in any meaningful way.

The MLR is professional isn't it? so the guys will be paid.

It will keep them in a professional rugby environment with training etc. A lot of Irish coachs have gone over and I would expect to see more over the future.

It seems to be getting money pumped into it. Players go over, they have 5 years before the Eagles would be able to play them so IRFU can jump in after 4 years and offer them a home province contract if they see something in them and think they can take the step up.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The MLR is professional isn't it? so the guys will be paid.

It will keep them in a professional rugby environment with training etc. A lot of Irish coachs have gone over and I would expect to see more over

It seems to be getting money pumped into it. Players go over, they have 5 years before the Eagles would be able to play them so IRFU can jump in after 4 years and offer them a home province contract if they see something in them and think they can take the step up.

I agree with that. I think it's another way to the pro ranks for some lads. The quality will improve if it kicks on. It's safe to assume that there's a few lads who were overlooked by the provinces, who could potentially impress over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's no chance of them making it playing at that level though, the league would have to seriously improve in standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Training squad for WC is out, all of the starting 15 for Munster in the Pro 14 semi final are named, apart from Botha, presumably not eligible or whatever.

If they are naming the whole team I am a bit surprised they didn't call up Jack O'Donoghue for a look at him in camp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

mystic86 wrote: »
    Training squad for WC is out, all of the starting 15 for Munster in the Pro 14 semi final are named, apart from Botha, presumably not eligible or whatever.

If they are naming the whole team I am a bit surprised they didn't call up Jack O'Donoghue for a look at him in camp.

Botha is capped for SA I believe.

Disappointed for JOD tho, thought he could be a bolter after coming back from injury. TOD named tho which was a surprise to me. Would love to see him getting a shot in the warm-ups, he's been plagued by injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

aloooof wrote: »
    Botha is capped for SA I believe.

Disappointed for JOD tho, thought he could be a bolter after coming back from injury. TOD named tho which was a surprise to me. Would love to see him getting a shot in the warm-ups, he's been plagued by injury.

He usually gets a serious injury just as he's hitting form and approaching an international window. This year he cleverly got injured 6 months ago so he's fit again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFXuVTAPNU

Departing players highlights.

Would have liked to have kept Fitzgerald and Johnston, but makes sense that they've moved on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any suggestions as to players who might join the academy for next season? There might be a spot for a back five forward in particular where there are only three academy players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Just saw a pic of Craig Casey standing between Liam Coombes and Shane Daly.... he's bloody tiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Just saw a pic of Craig Casey standing between Liam Coombes and Shane Daly.... he's bloody tiny!

Yup, very small fella. It's a shame because it will almost certainly hold him back to some extent. In terms of bravery, technique, talent etc. he is as promising a scrum half at U20 level as we've produced. But size will have to have an impact at some point. Where Conor Murray is an incredible defender and sweeper that teams take into account when attacking, someone who is 5'5" will be taken into account for the exact opposite reason.

There are dimminutive scrumhalves who have reached the top of the game but even the likes of Youngs, Care, Parra, Dupont etc. are all significantly bigger than Casey. For context, if his stats are accurate, Stringer is bigger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Buer wrote: »

. For context, if his stats are accurate, Stringer is bigger than him.

for the younger audience, so is Caolin Blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yup, very small fella. It's a shame because it will almost certainly hold him back to some extent. In terms of bravery, technique, talent etc. he is as promising a scrum half at U20 level as we've produced. But size will have to have an impact at some point. Where Conor Murray is an incredible defender and sweeper that teams take into account when attacking, someone who is 5'5" will be taken into account for the exact opposite reason.

There are dimminutive scrumhalves who have reached the top of the game but even the likes of Youngs, Care, Parra, Dupont etc. are all significantly bigger than Casey. For context, if his stats are accurate, Stringer is bigger than him.

Was it the number 8 monster Casey took down in the France game for the U20?

If he is good enough then you play him and get someone to cover him....or when they are playing 13-2 then he drops back to help the FB....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Faf de Klerk would be towering over him!!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Was it the number 8 monster Casey took down in the France game for the U20?

If he is good enough then you play him and get someone to cover him....or when they are playing 13-2 then he drops back to help the FB....

think it was jordan joseph? whos only 10" taller and 34 kgs heavier :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Advertisement