Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,609 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rowntree and Larkham. Great job by Munster and the IRFU.

Great appointments but they can only do so much it's the players jobs on the field

Both on a pretty penny I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

How could the Aussie fans on the Internet have been so wrong.

Great appointment by Munster. Exciting times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great appointments but they can only do so much it's the players jobs on the field

Both on a pretty penny I assume

They players on the pitch haven't been playing to their potential due to poor coaching. No more excuses now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That has to be one of the most experienced coaching tickets for a domestic side in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Very excited about next season now. Hopefully get a decent pool draw next Wednesday now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Still need a backs coach.

If we get in an experienced backs coach, I'll be happy with the coaching ticket.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yerrahbah wrote: »

If we get in an experienced backs coach, I'll be happy with the coaching ticket.

Larkham is essentially a backs coach.. and an experienced one at that,

Why would you need a backs coach when you have Larkham? If anything that'd just be more bloat in the management structure.

Rowntree will be the forwards/scrum coach, Larkham is an attack/backs coach with some top level experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The article says he was appointed as a senior coach. Which I took to mean an assistant coach. If he's backs coach then happy days.
    It does say that we are on the lookout for an additional coach, a skills coach perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Copying Leinster again I see. :p

That's a fantastic appointment, and a serious statement of where Irish rugby is now and how its viewed that we can attract the level of coaches we have over the last few years. Should make for an interest couple of years ahead.

• Advertisement

The article says he was appointed as a senior coach. Which I took to mean an assistant coach. If he's backs coach then happy days.
    It does say that we are on the lookout for an additional coach, a skills coach perhaps?

Similar to Lancaster who's listed as a senior coach, but is ultimately our forwards coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its officially confirmed in Munster website. Delighted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    How could the Aussie fans on the Internet have been so wrong.

Great appointment by Munster. Exciting times.

It's still not confirmed by SH media so it cannot be taken as true

phog wrote: »
    It's still not confirmed by SH media so it cannot be taken as true

Because they're all in mourning at losing the person they all thought was being held in the background as Cheika's successor :D

They original plan was a new 5th coach when Flannery and Jones were there. It's still possible that they'll hire one, but they'll discuss the need with the new coaching team first.

It's actually mentioned by Phillip Quinn in the press release.

“We now have a four-man coaching team with head coach Johann van Graan supported by senior coach Stephen, forwards coach Graham Rowntree and defence coach JP Ferreira.
    “It has been our intention to recruit one more member for our coaching ticket and we will evaluate our needs prior to progressing with that process.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Because they're all in mourning at losing the person they all thought was being held in the background as Cheika's successor :D

Or asleep!

Caranica wrote: »
    Or asleep!

Shhhhhh no it's clearly because they're drowning in salty kangaroo tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

To get Larkham is an amazing piece of business. Excellent for Munster and Ireland
    Joey Carbery must be Delira and Excira!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Great news about the acquisition of Stephen Larkham. With the other recent additions, things are looking up at Munster. I am excited.

Wallabies door still open for Larkham after Munster move: Johnson
    Rugby Australia director of rugby Scott Johnson says Stephen Larkham's move to Irish club Munster will only help his long-term ambition to be Wallabies coach.

Subject to receiving a visa, Larkham will join the Irish province as a senior coach for three seasons starting in August and ending in June 2022, the Pro14 club confirmed overnight.

Larkham will work under coach Johann van Graan and alongside forwards coach Graham Rowntree and defence coach JP Ferreira at his new club.

Johnson said in a statement on Saturday afternoon that Larkham's move would be a positive one for his career.

"Stephen departs with Rugby Australia's full blessing and we wish him every success with Munster," he said.

"Stephen made the decision to join Munster in full consultation with us and we will remain in close contact with him during his time in Ireland.

"We believe the experience Stephen will gain from a senior role internationally will grow his coaching capabilities significantly and we are very keen for him to remain part of the Australian Rugby coaching system.

"He has made it clear that his ultimate goal is to coach the Wallabies and the next three years will give him a solid platform to achieve his coaching ambitions."

The former Wallabies attack coach parted ways with the national team in February due to philosophical differences with coach Michael Cheika.

At that time, Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle kept the door open for Larkham to return to the Wallabies fold in the future.

While there was a school of thought that Larkham could throw his hat in the ring to return to the national setup, this move all but quashes that possibility in the immediate future.

Larkham has been in a national coaching advisory role for the past four months, working with the Junior Wallabies, Wallaroos, Sevens and Super Rugby sides.

He had been Wallabies attack coach for three seasons prior to that.

“I am very excited and honoured to be joining Munster Rugby," Larkham said in a statement.

“A big part of my decision lies in the values of the club and the importance they place on community. I have come from a very similar environment and know how effective and enjoyable that can be.

“I have had a number of conversations with Johann and I’m very excited to be working with him, as our views on rugby are very similar.

“I’m also looking forward to meeting and working with not only the other coaches in Graham and JP but also the very talented group of players that Munster have.”

Munster Rugby Acting CEO Philip Quinn said: “We are very pleased to add Stephen to our coaching team and look forward to welcoming him to the province in August.

“Stephen’s values are very closely aligned with those of Munster and huge credit must go to the Professional Game Board and Johann for their work in bringing him to the province.

“Stephen is a very successful coach who had offers from other clubs so we are delighted that he has decided to join Munster.

“We now have a four-man coaching team with head coach Johann van Graan supported by senior coach Stephen, forwards coach Graham Rowntree and defence coach JP Ferreira.

“It has been our intention to recruit one more member for our coaching ticket and we will evaluate our needs prior to progressing with that process.”

Larkham's Wallabies replacement is set to be named as early as next week, with a number of Super Rugby candidates in the mix for that role.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Pretty happy with that conference particularly the disjointed season we could have ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Leinster folk seem very unhappy at the notion that they are ranked as the second Irish team. Pretty sure the seeding system is the same as last year and the year before, we just happened to benefit this time!

Leinster folk seem very unhappy at the notion that they are ranked as the second Irish team. Pretty sure the seeding system is the same as last year and the year before, we just happened to benefit this time!

Last year there was no seeding as the conferences remained the same. I can't remember how they created the conferences in the first season of the Pro14 but I assume it was by seeding from he previous season's Pro12

Had Leinster not taken their foot off the pedal once they secured a Home SF then they might well have been seeded above us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Last year there was no seeding as the conferences remained the same. I can't remember how they created the conferences in the first season of the Pro14 but I assume it was by seeding from he previous season's Pro12

Had Leinster not taken their foot off the pedal once they secured a Home SF then they might well have been seeded above us.

there should probably have been a few points allocated for winning the knockout games really.

The first season Munster were Ireland 1 and Leinster were Ireland 2 (just like this season), but Ireland 1&4 were in Conference A with the Welsh 2&3. They've changed this so that Ireland 1&4 are now in Conference B with the Welsh 2&3.

Personally I think they swapped the Welsh and Irish seeding because if they hadn't then only Scarlets and Ospreys would have swapped conference and they wanted a bigger change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Meh, I don't think anyone is that put out by it.

The odd thing is that no-one knew whether the knock-outs took precedence over league standings or not. You'd have thought Pro14 would make it clear (I presume the teams knew though).

Doesn't really make much odds. It's a bit of an anomaly that you have the champions and runner-up in the same pool but that's a quirk of the pool system.

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    there should probably have been a few points allocated for winning the knockout games really.

Why? It's clearly stated in the rules that the seedings for the conferences will be decided on a combined table of the two conferences. We were told this two years ago after we went to conferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Eod100 wrote: »

Thrilled to say that @jerryflannery returns to @JOEdotie & @SportsJOEdotie in a full time role as rugby analyst & content creator from July, ahead of a massive year of rugby on all fronts.

:) I called that one that he would more than likely get involved in his various businesses.

Advertisement