Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

Probably leaning towards Healy leaving at this point. Not sure if Jackman would be so assertive if he didn't have good information and not sure if Blair would be going quite so public if he wasn't confident also.

I think that's a loss to be honest, much like many in the squad there is a decent argument that Healy is another victim of the VanGraan era and with a competent coach he could have shown more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Healy is another victim of the VanGraan era

Quite the opposite I would have said, Healy was absolutely miles ahead of Crowley in JVG's eyes and got all the opportunities that were going.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And the reason he wasn't seen for 6 weeks is confirmed. MR obviously decided to go with the guys who'll be around next season. Healy will still see plenty of game time this season, but he won't be starting any more big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

That's disappointing and while it was as good as confirmed a few weeks back I really hoped he'd stick around. Now that it's confirmed he's going I wish him the very best of luck and hopefully he'll have a very successful career in rugby.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That was confirmed quicker than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Very disappointing to see Healy go. Very accomplished player with room to improve.

Personally would have preferred to see joey leave. Maybe not a popular opinion but would have preferred Healy and Crowley going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Such a shame but suppose it has its positives and negatives

Not nice handing fellas international training etc too them to turn around and say 'no thanks'

Positive is definitely our strength in depth in the Irish pool

Wish him all the best and hopefully we're not seeing him score a last min Penalty/Drop goal beating us in the World Cup

Well was he omitted because he was leaving, or did he leave because he was omitted?

The latter seems more likely tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’m not sure he was ever handed international training?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Disappointed to see him go but you’d wish him all the best.

Beautiful long-range lofted pass on him as well, to go with his kicking range.

The latter seems more likely tbh

Only to those that want to see it that way and I think not many would agree with your view.

Ben signing one year contracts in his previous two contracts shows he was always looking at options elsewhere but while he was still committed to Munster he got game time.

He's shown ambition in moving and I genuinely hope it works out for him

Post edited by phog on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Dissapointing to see him go but admire his ambition ….we have an international standard 10 in carbery and as of now an unknown talent with lots of poteintal in Crowley ….who’s best performances came from 12 ……if Crowley dosnt progress and goes way of Jj ….will be a huge loss to Munster and possibly Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well, it's done now. Not ideal by any means. But a small silver lining that he's remaining in the URC #bestleague.

You'd hope Rowntree's comments don't speak to any brewing discordance between him and the paymasters, whether that be at provincial or national level.

That said, if Crowley hits the ceiling we all think is within his grasp, and if Joey can finally keep injury free and show the sort of consistency he was showing before Christmas, but on a longer timescale, this may turn out to be the best decision for all concerned.

More money in the pot for Marx? <crosses fingers>

Not nice handing fellas international training etc too them to turn around and say 'no thanks'

When did this happen?

Do you think he was well coached during this time?

I would say his development stalled while his opportunities soared, but development is pretty damn important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

The worrying thing I think about losing Ben Healy was that his weaker parts to his game, ie. running, taking the ball flatter, bringing the backs outside him into the attack, etc, etc, looked very much improved versus Ulster and South Africa XV. If he continues to figure out how to be a good attacking flyhalf, you have a serious player there. Because the other aspects of his game, kicking, passing, decision making, those attributes are already at a high level.

Just not ideal losing a young player right in the middle of his development when you don’t know how good he is. But it’s understandable on Ben’s part to go to a place that he thinks there is a better opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I wonder is the timing because there is a possibility he gets called up to an extended 6N squad for the Scots. That would have forced everyone's hand. We're about 2 weeks away from those announcements.

To be fair he'd have a fair chance in getting ahead of Ross Thompson and he's not far off Adam Hastings. The Scots arent currently blessed at OH, showpony Russell aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

As an out and out 10 he’s better at this moment in time than Crowley who if we’re all honest bar maby an ok game v Australia hasn’t shown he has all the attributes needed to play in that position ….munster coaches played him more as a 12 ….says a lot …big big pressure comming from Irfu I think to make a 10 out of Crowley

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think the timing was due to the fact that Mike Blair was already talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Disappointing to lose a homegrown player. Would have been better to move him to Connacht or Ulster if he wanted more playing time but looks like he’s been given guarantees that Scotland will see him as a viable option if he goes well for Edinburgh.

Obviously the decision came from himself so maybe he didn’t back himself to get past Crowley or Carbery in the short term in either red or green. He’s also behind Ross Byrne at international level. Probably behind Burns and Carty although he should be passing them out with regular game time. Farrell and co also prefer Harry Byrne.

Pity he didn’t stay in the system for another couple of years as there’s going to be a big rush for the Irish 10 jersey in 12 months time. He’s a decent bit behind the likes of Russell and Hastings for Scotland so will be interesting to see if Scotland cap him quickly to tie him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So is this what it feels like to be a Kiwi?

I don't know TBH, he had Stephen Larkham coaching him all that time and I assume he knows a fair bit about being an out-half.

Crowley had JVG and Larkham too, but none of the opportunities, yet he's got a couple of caps for Ireland.

It's always disappointing to see a young guy leaving Ireland but not sure we can pin this on JVG

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Only to those that want to see it that way and I think not many would agree with your view.

Well, my guess is that he wasn't getting what he wanted from Rowntree and is moving on. I think that's fair enough, happens all the time.

The way you want to see it is that a young guy thinks battling for the back-up role at Edinburgh is more attractive than battling for the back-up role at Munster. That's a damning indictment of Munster and I have to say I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

carbery would generally get parachuted straight back into the team whenever he wasnt injured though, even when healy (or JJ) was playing well enough to keep his starting place. whether that was a call by JVG or the IRFU is a different story though

its a shame hes moving imo, out of the current options in the munster squad hes the closet to a 'general' at 10 from what i've senn. hopefully crowley will come good in this regard but i have a feeling this could turn out to be bad business

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wonder will we see Tony Butler get more game time for the rest of this season as a result of this announcement?

He's out injured at present but due back shortly.

Look, we all know your MO here so not surprisingly this post from you is no different to your usual postings here

I think the fact that he signed two one deals with Munster would indicate he was hedging his bets all along with a view to getting caps with Ireland or Scotland. 2022 has shown him that it's not Munster holding him back but the lack of a call up to Ireland that makes him think he might as well try Scotland. In the few months that Rowntree has been head coach he has shown that he will give youth a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

This could all have been avoided had the national side locked Healy down with a cap. That might sound cynical but it would have been the smart thing to do. It's not like we're bursting at the seams with quality options at 10.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see him get some game time but I wouldn't be dumping on Ben either, we'll need him when the two lads go into Irish camp anyway.

Advertisement