Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

World rugby regulations require that clubs release players for the squad camp prior to the 6 nations

The International window for the 6 nations starts on 30th of Jan

but there is a squad session that starts the Monday before this window and ends Wednesday

Munster play Benneton on 28th, but Healy would need to be released to camp on 23rd, 24th and 25th (if he was called up)

I linked to this regulation above

Carbery and Crowley will both be with Ireland (almost certainly)

Healy is our only other 10 apart from academy player Tony Butler

Scannell Could play at 10 at a pinch but that's not ideal

Technically there is no clash with Benneton as players can come back from the squad session to play their game, but in practise, these players are unavailable most of the time

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And Butler has been out with a knee injury for the last 6/8 weeks and isn't yet back to full training as far as I know.

I think he's played very well in his last 2 appearances. He seems to have worked on his biggest weakness which was his predictable distribution. The opposition could read him too easily and he rarely took the ball to the line and made breaks. Last week he scored a try and swiched up his distribution. He has plenty of motivation to perform tonight even if he's just trying to prove himself to Townsend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There is a certain Irony in all of this.

Crowley has skipped healy in the Munster and Ireland pecking order because of his performances on the Frawley tour to SA, a tour designed with the primary objective of advancing the development of one of the primary players considered to be Sextons replacement, which in fact benefitted Crowley not Frawley and what it has done is give a good young talent increased impetus to emigrate thereby putting Munster and Ulster in a weakened position, and by extension Irish Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If you had "several pages of chat regarding Scottish rugby, and its depth at 10" on your 2023 bingo card you're certainly ahead of the game. 😂

I'm actually very intrigued about the game tonight. It can't have escaped the coaches how ineffective the more lateral attack was against Ulster, and how deep Crowley was receiving ball at 10. Add to that the over-reliance on Coombes for carrying in the tight channels and surely they've been working on mixing things up.

And interestingly, from 10-15, tonight's backline are all units. All 6"2 or more (bar Scannell) and most touching the 100kg mark. I'm looking for the likes of (L) Coombes and Daly to come in off the wing more, hitting the tight channels around the ruck hard with direct lines (either as decoys or otherwise). Take the pressure off (G) Coombes in this regard.

Lions are a tough side, they are fast and compete well at the breakdown, but they do lack the size of the other SA outfits. So tonight's game could be a good environment to try a few things out on the ground. Be a bit more direct. Work on the formation and organisation as you bring in big wings in as first receivers. Etc.

Or, with lads that size, you could see a lot more hoists, which will suit Healy. And height across the backline will also give Patterson a bit more margin for error as he develops his box kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

For some reason i always thought of liam coombes as having a slight frame, didnt realise he was that size.

Do you know what, you might actually be right. Just looked him up and Wiki says he's 90kg.

Maybe my brain refuses to compute "Coombes" and "not unit" together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

People keep saying he's underrated by Ireland as though that's the reason he's leaving. It's not. He's leaving because he's not rated at Munster.

He was never, ever, and I mean never, close to Carbery for Munster. Never.

He was also behind JJH, then he left. JVG really didn't like Crowley, but it seems Rowntree does and that's curtains for Healy.

The guy has done absolutely nothing to warrant a national call up. He is a loss to Munster only if Crowley fails to progress and he's no loss to Ireland at all.

He didn't have a brilliant season last year. He stank the place out against Exeter and lost the game against Toulouse.

Munster will hammer the Lions tonight and everyone will be talking about how great Healy is, but he has never played well against a top team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,285 ✭✭✭✭phog

For those down the back, I'll repeat.

Healy is leaving Munster because he's looking play in international rugby, after giving it two seasons here he knows that won't happen under Farrell but may happen in Scotland so he has taken that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I’d bet one of his goals is to play in a World Cup, and his best chance of that would be for Scotland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He fell out of favour at Munster after the decision to move was made (which was likely weeks ago). He was number 2 at Munster right up to the November internationals. The fact that Harry Byrne (NZ tour), Frawley (SA dev Tour games+ Nov Int) and Crowley (SA dev Tour + Nov Int) all leapfrogged him internationally with far less provincial experience in the last 6 months was I imagine the deciding factor in his decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Munster seem to pick teams (not by choice usually or mostly forced) that are just weak enough to make the result questionable. That is a light pack, and no crowley even on the bench is a choice.

Oh keep an eye on Venter tonight too. Ferocious carrier.

Him and/or Tshituka as any time try scorers would be a fairly decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Goes a bit OTT but overall point is spot on. I know Ben. Think he's a good player but should Munster broke the bank to keep him. no. And he hasnt been close to Carbery. Nothing wrong with that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think the comments regarding the exeter and toulouse games negates any sort of credibility the original post might have had. to blame healy for losing the QF is indefensible imo

and to be fair to him, healy has definitely pushed to be the starting 10 in the bigger games but carbery gets parachuted straight back in as soon as hes available without (imo) ever really deserving it

its too late now either way but i think this is a big loss for munster

Wycherley (108), Barron (98), Salanoa (123), Coombes (110), Kleyn (121), JOD (109), Hodnett (105), Kendellen (105)

Smith (124), Botha (100), Ntlabakanye (138), Venter (118), Landsberg (111), Cairns (101), van Heerden (100), Tshituka (106)

879kg vs 898kg

Front row is really the only place I'd have any concern about a size mismatch. Will be a serious test at scrum time. Love how Lions practically play a 7s style of rugby but stay true to Saffer heritage by keeping two absolute brick sh*t houses at prop.

That's nowhere near what FFF has said though and I'm not sure anyone advocated breaking a bank for Ben.

If you know Ben can you enlighten us with as to when and why he made the decision to leave Munster/Ireland

• Advertisement

Anyway, back to to tonight's game , just arrived in Cork, terrible weather here, wind and rain.

Musgrave Park is 4G, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yes but that won't stop the wind nor the rain.

Currently blowing from behind the south goals

I get that Healy is a young local lad and people don't want to be hard on him, and it's unfortunate that he was put in the position in the QF but if you're looking for international recognition, then those are the situations in which you need to show your mettle.

He did not play well against Exeter, apologies if "stank the place out" was a bit inflammatory but again, it's a European knock-out match and he didn't perform. There was absolutely no question that Carbery wouldn't come straight back for the home leg.

So counter my argument, in what big games, against proper teams, has Healy shown us he's worthy of Ireland caps? Like, everyone got excited about the South Africa XV game but they were an absolute rabble.

Whatever way you slice it, it's only a loss for Munster if it ends up that Healy is in fact better than Crowley. If Rowntree and Prendergast are right, then it's reduced squad depth and no more.

Will be interesting to see how much running Lions will be capable of.

A nice soggy grass pitch would have slowed them down completely. 4G gives them a slim chance to get some moves going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can't believe this jersey clash. There's been a few in rugby over the years but this is definitely the worst.

I can't believe the Lions tighthead is a professional athlete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Did that go over the posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Nice for Buckley to get that try. I've been looking to see him get a good opportunity to play this season. We need more talent coming through at hooker.

Advertisement