Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What the heck does John Ryan have to do to get some medium-term stability on his life, ffs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ryan was offered a contract for the rest of the season by Munster, which he turned down to play in Super Rugby. Whatever about what happened with Wasps, the current situation is his own choice.

And seeing as he knows where he'll be playing next season, he has medium term stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He'll be 35 when this new contract starts. He's doing OK tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

he turned down Munsters offer to take up the contract in New Zealand. He was unfortunate with what happened with wasps but anything else is on him and as he knows he has medium term stability as he has contracts until the end of 23/24 season

I'd be wary about pinning blame solely on Ryan. Do we know what the initial offer was that he turned down? This initial offer also would have been tabled before he put in some absolutely critical performances in more recent games. A two-year deal, taking him to the tail end of 36yo, surely warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What they’re offering now isn’t too much different to a two year deal, in that it won’t start for another 9 months or so (he’ll probably make more playing a season in New Zealand than half a season for Munster, plus a once off experience), then a year with Munster, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this deal was in part underwritten by the IRFU after consulting Andy Farrell, as it makes Ryan available for the World Cup, so it could be a good lucrative deal for Ryan, with potential to sign on again if he goes well.

Either way he definitely has 'medium term stability in his life'.

Or at least as much as any 34 year old rugby player has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I suppose this also makes him eligible for the RWC?

Not the worst emergency backup

If the tournament was starting now, I'd have him in the squad as the #3 option. He's an obviously better scrummager than Tom O'Toole, and I haven't seen much from O'Toole around the park to suggest there is a whole lot else to his game. He's probably the #3 THP at Ulster.

I know he's in the squad as a development style player like Joe McCarthy, but given the injury worries around Furlong, I think that's a gamble in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Archer is fit again, so having JR head off to the SH for the remainder and come back after Archer retires is less expenditure overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

By October of this year, he'll have spent the previous ~18 months or so living in

Ireland, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Ireland.

Stable if you're a bar-tailed godwit, perhaps. But a man with a young family, less so.

He's knows where he's going to be playing until summer 2024. That's stability for a 34 year old rugby player.

He turned down a Munster contract to go to New Zealand, even with his young family. It was his own decision.

I've no idea why you're trying to make something out of a situation which, since he rejoined Munster, is of his own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,285 ✭✭✭✭phog

In the last block of games excluding our win over SA in PuC we have played 10 and won 7. Three of the wins were one score games, Ulster away being a last minute snatch and a one point win.

Over the course of the 10 games we scored 242 points and conceded 168 points with a PD of +74

We lost 3, Toulouse (x2) and Leinster all one score games. The PD of 3 the losses was -10 points and we outscored the opposition in tries scored in two of those games. I think had we played Toulouse in Thomond Park in the last round we could well have beaten them there and had we been a bit more careful with the ball in the game we played there we should have beaten them, iirc, we gifted them a try and a penalty.

It was tough block of games for us with so many injuries to our second row players and here's hoping for the next block we see RGS coming back to full health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Why be wary of the offer given but not wary of him chosing to experience super rugby before retiring?

He spent a decade playing with his home club thats a more stable career than most. Hes dead right to travel professionally while he can

Just looking ahead in this spread out block of 3 home games, it’s noteworthy that we’re playing 3 former champions, Ospreys, Scarlets and Glasgow.

Looking at their recent form the three of them have all been playing winning rugby recently, so these will be proper tests of our squad.

I think luckily the Ospreys will be short quite a few, but Scarlets won’t be missing as many, and Glasgow have a few foreign players to keep them going.

It’ll be fascinating to see how these rounds go.

The postponed match today and the two postponed matches in three weeks time will bring all the results in line, so all teams will have 14 matches played going into round 15.

With 4 matches left and the table up to date it will be really interesting to see how it will all shake out.

I must have a look then at the remaining fixtures and see what the likely 1-8 seeds will be for the playoffs, right now it’s too difficult to call, but probably Munster will finish 7th and face Stormers away is my guess. But a few wins and a few results going our way elsewhere it could open up going into the tour to SA.

How is it probable that Munster will finish 7th? Stormers and Sharks play each other twice. All the SA sides come North the week before the HCC last 16 so will likely send second strings. Ulster go to Glasgow and then SA on a 6N weekend. Glasgow also go to SA on a 6N weekend and have to come to TP. All these teams are going to drop points.

With the next three games, Munster will have close to a full team for those games. We'll more than likely get Kilcoyne, Coombes, Casey and Crowley back from the Ireland camp for these games and we'll also be getting Healy back from Scotland.

I fully expect 14 points from these three games and to travel to SA with a close to full strength squad. Top 4 is tough, but it's very achievable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Another trip to SA for a QF would be a bit of a nightmare. We’re already heading over for the European Round of 16, back home for Scarlets, then 2 more weeks over there.

If we beat Sharks and Bulls beat Toulouse we'd play them in Thomond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We might not be getting Casey back now if JGP is indeed injured

That result today changes things for sure, it’ll take a few more rounds yet before it’ll become clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

as great as it is to have the stronger SA teams in the competitions, this sort of thing makes me question the longevity of having them in the URC and euro comps

We play Scarlets before the European match.

We’ll either have a down week if lose, or else Toulouse away or Bulls at home if we win.

Then back to SA.

There's a lot of travel and if timing is bad it can be a real headache but hard not to see it as worth it.

Will Greenwood did an interview after the England loss and said they should be much better as the Premiership is the best league in the World. I thought it was blind exceptionalism, England aren't great because neither is the Prem.

The South African teams has made the URC likely the number one league in club rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Will Greenwood did an interview after the England loss and said they should be much better as the Premiership is the best league in the World.

Was this the Sky Sports interview? Because if it was, he didn't say that. He essentially said that because the Premier League in football is the best league in the world, English fans can sometimes be guilty of assuming that the Premiership is the rugby equivalent, when thats not necessarily the case. Here's the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ULfjxwCn4

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah! That's what I get for listening while working. I owe Mr. Greenwood an apology.

Andrew Conway underwent another operation on his knee last week and is out for another 3-4 months. That looks to be the whole season gone for him.

Nash is rehabbing his rib injury.

Snyman has stepped up his training load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,285 ✭✭✭✭phog

Conway having a year he'd sooner forget, really gotta feel for him.

Advertisement