Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i didnt see the incident at the time and maybe it was a contentious one. but if we take it that he was killing the ball, then i applaud the ref for not messing about and using the card early

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Frisch played extremely well. He has that injection of pace that opens up defences, plus his distribution is excellent and he sucks in defenders to create space out wide.

I think he did go off his feet but it was not cynical, he was trying to win the ball back in a fair contest. The ref came to the opinion that Ospreys might have scored if it wasn't for Daly slowing the ball, so it's fair enough tbh

I think the Ospreys yellow was very similar to the Antony incident in the 6 nations, and that was cited and he got a 3 weeks ban

The ref was grand. Munster were outstanding.

Carbery had a really good game apart from his place kicking. The conditions might have played a part in that, his kicking percentages are defintitely a concern, but he had a lot of really good moments. He brought the ball to the line and delayed passes to open up the game and that led directly to at least 2 of the tries (not to mention the try he scored himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can only play what's in front of you but there were some great scores there tonight, I thought the ref was quick with the YC for Daly. I also thought he could have gone for a RC for the shoulder to the head. I'll be shocked if we don't see a citing and a ban coming during the week.

I missed what happened JOD, hopefully, he'll be available to us again for the Scarlets game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Frisch Man of the Match for me (and his first try for us?), was outstanding in that first half, when the game still had to be won.

No complaints with Gav Coombes getting it either, mind. Continues to put in serious shifts for us, and his try scoring is ridiculous at this point. Would love to see him rewarded with some involvement vs Italy. I think he deserves it.

Thought Fineen had a good game too, especially in the first half. Abrasive, putting himself about and some good charge downs too.

Patterson is great for us, but still on occasion his pass quality goes astray imo.

Maybe to be expected from such a young player who plays at such a high tempo. But with the way we’re playing, a sub-optimal quality of pass at speed is nearly better to us than a perfect pass off slow ball.

Delighted for Coughlan as well, his first time getting a decent run out.

• Advertisement

We're the first team in the URC to put 58 points on a team this season and that's with Joey missing a few kicks at goal.

And we kept them out despite being down to 14 men at the start of the game.

The Ospreys were not at the races, but I'll be interesting to see how Leinster get on tomorrow against an equally discombobulated Dragons team.

If Penny and Deegan can't match the performances of Hodnett and Coombes in todays game at home against the worst of the 4 Welsh regions then should some people be re-assessing the pecking order?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Coombes is ahead of Deegan, those rungs of the pecking order are not up for debate.

Penny and Hodnett are a bit closer, but the latter's carrying, awareness in contact, and just overall form surely edge it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There was no reason to believe he was killing the ball. The Ospreys player was isolated with two defenders, Daly and Fekitoa there for a guaranteed poach only Daly fell over. There was zero chance of a try and it was a bizarre card to give.

The ref had an excellent game otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Frisch was excellent tonight,my MOTM easily and Fekitoa had his best game for us by some distance, the attacking patterns are a joy to watch and becoming so fluid they'll up open a much better team than the Ospreys at ease.

I don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kilcoyne, Beirne, Casey, POM, Murray, Earls and Crowley all missing due to national duty. Various others still out with other injuries.

And to still put 58 points on them, and not concede a try. I don't care that they were down a rake of players themselves (14?) that's insanely pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Some short highlights

This made me laugh out loud. :)

Just to add, I think our wingers were comparatively quiet, in large part because everything was coming thru 10, 12 and 13. Joey had an off night from the tee (and his kicking this season, unusually for him, hasn't been great), but I thought he played really well other than that.

2 of those hat tricks were against Ospreys

They must hate him in Swansea

He must have a tonne or braces as well on top of that.

Edit: Quick look; he's got 7. Three of them this season.

Coombes seems to be at the heart of everything. What do Munster do when he's not available and they need to shift the focus elsewhere?

I don't know if him and Doris in the same side would be unstoppable or if they'd get in each others way a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Thought Jack O'Sullivan did very well off the bench yesterday - got through a lot of work in JODs absence. Won't get the same recognition as Frisch, Fekitoa, Coombes etc (probably rightly so to be fair, those were classy performances) - but thought it was easily JOS' best game since coming back from injury - if not his best game to date in red.

Not available due to injury would be a bummer, not available because he's away with Ireland or The Lions I'd be thrilled for him and of course wouldn't be hugely missed by Munster then anyway as we've fewer matches clashing with international window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Hodnett was motm. He is some player. Involved in everything.

Be interesting to see how the regions go this evening. Munster were clinical last night but Ospreys didn't show up and made no real effort in defence. I would call it an embarrassing display but I can't shake the impression this performance was tied up in the wider issues with the WRU.

Leinster likely doing a number on the Dragon's this evening either way but if Cardiff don't show up against Benetton and Scarlets role over for Edinburgh it would suggest that the regions have downed tools also.

Ospreys have been going well, are missing a lot of players but so are Munster so it's not an excuse for a result like that. This is just bad for rugby full stop.

I thought JOS did everything right as well. Really busy and intense, tackling, jackling and carrying very strongly. I'd like to see more of him against stronger opposition. There's one hell of a back row pool building up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just someone mentioned highest score so far this URC season, and next best result I could find was Edinburgh defeating Benetton in Edinburgh 53-8 (Won by 45) Back in middle of October, week 5.

So 58-3 (won by 55) is 10 points better than the best result, plus no try scored against.

I’m wondering now did Munster with 9 tries score the most tries in a URC match too? And by extension 9 tries to nil being a record for the season.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's happening in Welch rugby is a shambles. People's livelihood at play here. Shocking stuff really.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

You're not helping their cause with your spelling 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Not sure if Daly wasn't knocked off his feet by Fekitoa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Scarlets and Cardiff both won with tbps in the end. Leinster are already 1 try up against Dragons so would expect them to hammer them alright.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

It's a real pity that things haven't worked out for Fekitoa off the pitch in his time with Munster. Because on the pitch, himself and Frisch have really been blossoming as a midfield duo these past few weeks. Both their games compliment each other really well, espeically with their ball skills and the support lines they run.

Our attack looks really potent now. Especially I think the improvement has been noticable each of the last 5 games, and its showing on the scoreboard. Ospreys were bad for sure, but still to hang +50 points on a professional outfit is impressive.

Advertisement