Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

Is Fekitoa leaving because he wants to leave (as he isn't happy off the field) or because Munster are letting him go early, or a bit of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a mutual decision afaik. Munster were struggling with getting him up to speed, and he was struggling with how Munster wanted him to play.

He was hired by JVG for a role that no longer exists under Rowntree. I think the Tsunami last year in Tonga really got to him personally and he wants to be closer to home for personal reasons.

I said last year that Coombes is our best player. And I was extremely annoyed when he was injured in that game against Leinster.

My thoughts on that are on record. But Coombes is is the kind of player that is complemented by other good players on the pitch. He can play well at 2nd row when he is needed, but the ultimate set up for Munster in a knockout must win game is, Coombes at 8, Beirne at 6. Hodnett at 7, with two fit locks playing 4 and 5

Himself and Frisch really gelled today, with Frisch assisting Fekitoa for a try, and then Fekitoa returning the favour for the next one.

He looked happy coming off the pitch and if he can continue this till the end of the season and help us win something then he'll go down as one of our best signings and no true Munster fan will bear a grudge against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I think it’s the gelling you mentioned that is the big thing. Obviously for a midfield pairing that’s hugely important. But Munster have brought in a lot of overseas talent with international experience the past 10 years; in the likes DeAllende, Saili, DeVilliers, Lualala, etc. I don’t think any of those players truely gelled or bedded in with a centre partner. Obviously DDA/Farrell and Downey/Lualala played a lot together, but they were more solid than good attacking midfields. Scannell/Taute had a good run one year I suppose.

I know I’m reaching here because Fekitoa/Frisch have only played about 5/6 times together, but I feel like they’ve the potential to be the best attacking midfield this club has had since Mafi/Tipoki. But we will see. Sad that Fekitoa is leaving nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Power needs power. Or in other words it doesn’t add it multiplies. If I’m looking for players who are underrated, power athletes in underpowered packs who still perform at a high level are obvious examples, and Coombes embodies that.

Yep. Coombes in an injury ravaged Munster pack has driven us forward at the Heineken Cup group stages. He can't win on his own in the knockouts, but if we can get some of our 2nd rows back and have Coombes in a 3 lock pack instead of covering 2nd row, then we can beat any team in Europe.

Would be happy to see even inexperienced players like Edogno or Jack O Sullivan in the 2nd row as I think they're good enough

I like our backs a lot. Any combination of Carbery/Crowley/Healy with Casey/Murray/Patterson, Frisch/Goggin/Scannell/Fekitoa with Nash/Daly/Haley, Zebo/Campbell/l. Coombes

Lots of quality who have all been blooded against proper opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

POM on the bench for me. Or playing at 7 with Hodnet on the bench.

It's a very different set up to the Irish back row going for power in the pack to make up for our relatively small front row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

No, just no, Pom Hodnett Commbes is our best backrow right now, and Salanoa is not small.

Knox was doing sprints after the warmup on Friday night so I expect he'll be back soon and he's a big lad as well.

I don't think we'll see Beirne anytime soon and we're heading into knockout games in the next few weeks so I'd plan without him, Kleyn and Ed would be a brutish 2nd row and the bacrow would have to be mobile to compliment that, luckily we have that with Pom, Hodnett and Coombes, we also might have the Luxury of a new signing soon, some lad called RG Simon or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Without Beirne, Snyman and with a load of other second rows out, think our best pack for Scarlets would be:

Loughman, Scannell, Salanoa,

Wycherley, Kleyn,

O’Donoghue, Coombes, Hodnett,

Replacements: Barron, Wycherley, Knox, Kendellen, O’Sullivan,

(Assuming Loughman, Knox, and O’Donoghue will be fit and Coombes available, If Edogbo is back then he’d be the lock on the bench, not sure who’s better between Kendellen and O’Sullivan)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

What was Liam Coombes injury, I know he went off after a tackle into touch but didn't get to see it again, yet

He limped down the sideline, looked like a sore knee to me, hopefully just a twinge

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Okay so here is my take on the Munster performance. Positive comments for all you Polyannas out there

Shane Daly - 8/10. Had an excellent game, I couldnt say if he missed anything but he made some excellent breaks and would be one to avoid kicking to in future games for opposition. Which is the greatest compliment you can give a full back. The yellow card was for killing the ball after a tackle on re-watching the match; Liam Coombes - did well I thought in a comprehensive win 6/10, Antoine Frisch - really came in to his own admittedly against weak opposition. Strong running, good lines, good interplay with Fekitoa 9/10, Malakai Fekitoa - best game from him so far, pity about all the other things that seemed to get in the way of playing before this 8/10, Simon Zebo - had a good performance from someone coming back from an injury, probably needs to get some more speed into his game and could have scored with only one player to beat for a try at one point, took a nice try when the game was over as a contest 6/10; Joey Carbery - a few jinks, excellent footwork, bravery in the tackle, and overall one of his better performances in a red shirt 7/10, Paddy Patterson - his speed of getting the ball out of rucks was great, taking the ball out of ruck as quickly as he could with no other goal in mind. Ran a great line in support of Hodnett for a try 8/10; Josh Wycherley - workmanlike performance did a lot of the carries, unsung work taking quick ball and sucking in a few defenders 6/10, Niall Scannell - very few errors and did the basics well, great servant to Munster rugby 7/10, Roman Salanoa - pacy prop who was outshone by other Munster players in this match but has a big future ahead of him I think 6/10; Jean Kleyn - good performance 6/10, Fineen Wycherley - played well 6/10; Jack O’Donoghue (C) another good performance, better management of the ref ( no talking this time as far I could see ) 8/10, John Hodnett - it took 3 men to hold him up and still he got a backetball pass away for Pattersons try, not as prominent as in previous games but excellent work throughout the match 8/10, Gavin Coombes - possibly the best number 12 in an 8 jersey we have ever had. Timing, handling, vision, speed - not normally associated with a man of his size or playing where he plays. 10/10

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron - showed a nice turn of pace in a covering taxkle close to the end of the match, Mark Donnelly, Stephen Archer - didn't give away a penalty when he came on, Jack O’Sullivan, Alex Kendellen, Ethan Coughlan, Ben Healy - played well when he came on with a few trademark monster kicks out of hand, Rory Scannell - looked about 5 kilos over fighting weight but played well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Delighted for him and well deserved. Another player I'd love to see hit the 100 cap mark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Some good news and some definitely not good news in the latest injury update.

Nash and Loughman are back in training. However Liam Coombes (thigh), Paddy Patterson (calf), Jack O’Donoghue (calf) and Jack O’Sullivan (thigh) will all go for scans this week.

Continuing to rehab: Tadhg Beirne (ankle), James French (leg), Liam O’Connor (neck), Chris Moore (neck), Tom Ahern (shoulder), Eoin O’Connor (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Andrew Conway (knee), Mike Haley (ankle).

Bad news if we're without Patterson while Murray & Casey are away with Ireland good and all as Coughlan was last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

That’s a blow. I thought Patterson had come on no end in the last few games

Is Cronin available at least? Not ideal tho....

• Advertisement

Sure it says it in the update that Neil Cronin scored a try for Garryowen at the weekend and not mentioned on the injury list so can assume he's fit to play a part in the 23 for Munster v Scarlets.

I'm pretty sure he was one of the extras warming up on Friday evening, I'd nearly start Coughlan if the push came to the shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well the Scarlets game is on the 3rd, Friday week, which is the down week between Italy and Scotland.

If JGP returns to the national setup in the meantime, it's likely one of Murray or Casey gets released to play in the URC.

Is it possible JGP’s injury could impact that tho? (I’m not sure why he’s due back).

No I don’t think so, it’s possible, but I’d say in that situation Caolin Blade would be released instead.

He’s not included with the 37 man squad so it doesn’t look good for him to be back anytime soon, there’s no time frame stated yet, but I’d assume at least 2 weeks and probably more. They haven’t ruled him out though, much like Furlong, it’s probably week to week updates.

Jack O Sullivan is cursed the poor fellah. Hopefully it's not a long term injury but he just can't catch a break with Injuries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

John Ryan named on the bench for Chiefs super rugby opener. Nankivell starting. Lethal looking Crusaders side named.

Anyone planning on watching?

Advertisement