Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Mathewson is over 12 months now at Munster, each short contract has been extended and who is to say it won't be again....Murray was fit and back playing and he still was resigned last year

McCarthy was promoted to the senior team in 2017-18. So he has had 2 full seasons and played 36 times including and semi and final of Pro14.

He was playing and was on bench right up till his move was announced and then Leinster played some of the younger guys, I think he had an injury as well which ruled him out.

Bill Johnson was promoted at the same time, potentially is a better player and could progress to international caps. Munster gave him 12 caps over those 2 years.

You're not comparing like with like. The stats you're quoting for McCarthy aren't just from 2017-18 onwards. They're from when he was added to the Leinster academy. Which was more than a year before Johnston was added to the Munster academy (McCarthy is 2 years older).

Also, add in the fact Johnston had been plagued with injuries over the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Regardless of how we rate JJ and Tyler, the decision to extend all three flyhalves ahead of Johnston was the end of his chances at Munster and it was sensible to leave him walk a year early. I'm delighted that he'll get an opportunity at Ulster. Now the door is open for Ben Healy and/or Jake Flannery to develop and make senior appearances as opposed to Johnston remaining as fourth choice for a season before being inevitably released.

Hopefully Johnston can push on at Ulster and likewise Healy/Flannery at Munster and we can look back at this in a few years' time as a win-win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

Regardless of how we rate JJ and Tyler, the decision to extend all three flyhalves ahead of Johnston was the end of his chances at Munster and it was sensible to leave him walk a year early. I'm delighted that he'll get an opportunity at Ulster. Now the door is open for Ben Healy and/or Jake Flannery to develop and make senior appearances as opposed to Johnston remaining as fourth choice for a season before being inevitably released.

Hopefully Johnston can push on at Ulster and likewise Healy/Flannery at Munster and we can look back at this in a few years' time as a win-win for everyone.

Agreed. It would be great to see Johnston do really well up in Ulster and become first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »

Also, add in the fact Johnston had been plagued with injuries over the last number of years.

So was McCarthy, as I posted he had injury last season which restricted him......hence why the original post was ridiculous.....

Don't throw stones in glass houses....

The poor Munster card has been played for many season....we dont get XYZ.....unfortunately it doesn't really work.....some will still try to play it on a regular basis

I would think Munster fans would be more interested in the new season with a great new coaching team and excited by the season....not watching what Leinster are up to or Ulster or anyone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

So was McCarthy, as I posted he had injury last season which restricted him......hence why the original post was ridiculous.....

The poor Munster card has been played for many season....we dont get XYZ.....unfortunately it doesn't really work.....some will still try to play it on a regular basis

I would think Munster fans would be more interested in the new season with a great new coaching team and excited by the season....not watching what Leinster are up to or Ulster or anyone.....
    Poor Nick McCarthy having to move to Munster because his spot at Leinster is blocked by a kiwi scrum half.

• Advertisement

Says Leinster fan on Munster thread. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Says Leinster fan on Munster thread. :confused:

Yeah, plenty of Munster fans on the Leinster/Ulster/Connacht thread....its a forum, are people not allow discuss other provinces?

I don't see the same on the other provinces thread, what is so might about Munster that other supporters can't comment on them? especially when ridiculous comments are been made about the other provinces?

Read back, did I mention Leinster or Ulster ? or NIQ?

Your statement might work if I started the conversation....

If you want it for Munster only then get the Mods to change the thread to "Munster only supporters thread".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Here's hoping Mathewson gets another contract extension

🤪

Yeah, plenty of Munster fans on the Leinster/Ulster/Connacht thread....its a forum, are people not allow discuss other provinces?

I don't see the same on the other provinces thread, what is so might about Munster that other supporters can't comment on them? especially when ridiculous comments are been made about the other provinces?

If you want it for Munster only then get the Mods to change the thread to "Munster only supporters thread".....

Eh, what? Where did I suggest any of that?? You were the one suggesting Munster fans shouldn't be looking to what Leinster / Ulster are doing. I was merely pointing out your hypocrisy.

In the interests of moving the conversation along... I don't anticipate Munster making any more signings but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a back 3 player coming in, think we look a little bit light there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

mystic86 wrote: »
    Careful now, that's an opinion and they are outlawed.

Or having a bad word to say about munster and their contract with adidas/lifestyle :cool:

• Advertisement

Friday, September 13
    Munster v London Irish, Irish Independent Park, 7.30pm;

Saturday, September 21
    Connacht v Munster, Sportsground, 3pm;

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/07/15/munster-to-face-london-irish-in-pre-season-clash/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Friday, September 13
    Munster v London Irish, Irish Independent Park, 7.30pm;

Saturday, September 21
    Connacht v Munster, Sportsground, 3pm;

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/07/15/munster-to-face-london-irish-in-pre-season-clash/

Big welcome for PJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,801 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

9th time playing LI in 12 seasons. Knew it had been a lot but even more than I thought

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    9th time playing LI in 12 seasons. Knew it had been a lot but even more than I thought

That's just in preseason. One of those seasons we also had them in our HEC group.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Discussion is good. Stirring (you are extremely see through) however isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Greg O’Shea former academy and Irish 7s player reaching the pinnacle of his career by making it onto love island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

🤪

Aug 23 – 25
    Munster v Ospreys

Aug 30 – Sep 1
    Dragons v Munster

Sept 6 – 8
    Munster v Leinster

Sept 13 – 15
    Connacht v Munster

Sept 20 – 22
    Munster v Cardiff Blues

Sept 27 – 29
    Scarlets v Munster

Oct 4 – 6
    Ulster v Munster

Saturday, Oct 12 Final

PRO14-Fixtures-Twit1-1024x576.jpg

Good to get the SA trip out of the way early in the season though they might be tricky games with a depleted squad. Ulster away is again in the New Year period which is really disappointing.

The run-in is nasty, Munster might need a lead in the table by mid-April.

• Advertisement

Leinster game kept to the Saturday again rather than Stephen's day, I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Leinster game kept to the Saturday again rather than Stephen's day, I see.

I think while Christmas is mid week that will be the case

allows for a game on both weekends

once Christmas is Friday-Monday again it may be back to 26th

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think while Christmas is mid week that will be the case

allows for a game on both weekends

once Christmas is Friday-Monday again it may be back to 26th

Yeah I think it works out better to have it closest Saturday in that case. Get to enjoy Stephen's Day and have a match the Saturday to look forward to!

TP gets its best set of league fixtures in years. No Italian or South African teams. And no ****e kick off times. All Saturdays between 3pm and 6pm. And there's still a couple of game worth travelling down to Cork for. Delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Benetton on back to back weekends, don't think I've seen that in a league fixture before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, I don't think TP have ever gotten such good fixtures before, I might renew my season ticket :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Billy Scannell is off to Biarritz. Probably a good move for him, but still a pity https://www.the42.ie/billy-scannell-biarritz-france-4728049-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Caranica wrote: »
    Billy Scannell is off to Biarritz. Probably a good move for him, but still a pity https://www.the42.ie/billy-scannell-biarritz-france-4728049-Jul2019/

Disappointing to see that he’s leaving due to eoghan Clarke from leinster being a year ahead of him, both have similar levels of talent would of preferred to stick with the home grown talent

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Disappointing to see that he’s leaving due to eoghan Clarke from leinster being a year ahead of him, both have similar levels of talent would of preferred to stick with the home grown talent

Realistically with the ages of the 3 senior hookers we have, he wouldnt have gotten much game time anyway. He's probably better off trying to get regular playing time in France.

• Advertisement

Realistically with the ages of the 3 senior hookers we have, he wouldnt have gotten much game time anyway. He's probably better off trying to get regular playing time in France.

Could he not have done Love Island as a stop gap?

Advertisement