Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd add to this - if Kyriacou can send a front row of Loughman, Barron and Archer down to hold their own against Kits, Dweeba and Malherbe.... Jager should get just the guidance he needs in the set piece.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Holy ****! Awful news.

9th November 2023 By The Editor

Andrew Conway has today confirmed that he will retire from professional rugby with immediate effect.

Unfortunately, I have been advised to retire from professional rugby because of a knee injury.

An incredible amount of work has been put in by the Munster and IRFU medics to get me back and I can’t thank you all enough for your commitment. Thank you to all the backroom staff I’ve been lucky enough to cross paths and work with over the years. You know who you are. A special mention to Damien Mordan, Keith Fox, Dr. Jamie Kearns and Dr. Ciaran Cosgrave for your care and support through the years. Thank you to Rugby Players Ireland and my agents for your guidance in the past and into the future.

I’ve been very fortunate to have been coached by some fantastic people. Thank you all. In particular to Felix Jones for showing me the way, Andy Farrell for having such belief in me and Graham Rowntree for your support in these tough times.

To my team-mates from my first Leinster cap in 2010 all the way to my last Munster cap last month. It was an honour to go to battle with you all. I’m more grateful than words can express.

Thank you to all those in Blackrock College, Blackrock College RFC and Leinster Rugby for giving me my first opportunities in the game.

My love for Munster goes back to the 2006 European Cup final in Cardiff with my Dad. I’ll never forget walking into the stadium to see it full of red jerseys, the cameras panning to O’Connell street in Limerick… it was always Munster. To play for this great club was the best decision I ever made. Thank you to all the Munster supporters that embraced me as one of your own!

Playing for Ireland was my dream come true. Singing the national anthem with my team-mates, watched on by family and friends was the proudest I’ve ever been.

To my parents and sisters, thank you for your unconditional support over the years. Through the ups and downs I’ve always known you were there for me and it meant so much to share the journey with you all.

To my wife Liz, it’s no coincidence that my career started to take off when you moved down to Limerick. Your support and sacrifices over the years have driven me on more than you’ll ever know. Having you in the stands for game days always gave me comfort and I’ll forever cherish the last day with yourself and Hailey in Thomond Park.

Lastly, I’ll miss the big days in red and green but not as much as the daily pursuit and shared team goal of reaching our potential.

I’m not exactly sure what is next but I’m very excited to take all the learnings from the last 14 years into the next chapter.

Forever Grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Still had a tonne to offer province and country. Awful news.

I’m not exactly sure what is next but I’m very excited to take all the learnings from the last 14 years into the next chapter.

Hopefully a coaching role emerges for him somewhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the big question is actually, can he stay uninjured and get a good run at it.

he can scrummage, carry, pop pass, pull back and do his lineout duties efficiently. The issue with him, in my opinion, is he just doesn't do anything at an exceptional level. He is a steady eddie, which is the main reason two young props leap frogged him in crusaders, in Tamati Williams and Fletcher Newell. Williams is a freakish physical specimen, and Newell is a powerhouse of strength and an excellent technical scrummager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

Two big characters gone now with Conway and The Man in the last few weeks.

Wishing him al the best in whatever he decides to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I kind of don’t like this for munster. He’s a good player but imo munster need one elite signing in the front row to really level them up.

The absolute ideal situation is that Salanoa gets fit for extended periods of time and Jager is a really good back up.

They should aggressively go after an upgrade at hooker or LH for their last NIQ slot.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats awful for conway, but he can be very proud of the career he looks back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wow, that came out of nowhere. Really, hope he has something to fall back on.

As already said that 's too huge players for Munster and Ireland retiring this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That's a real shame, Conway was absolutely electric when on his game. I remember seeing him in an A match years ago for Leinster and he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, was absolutely delighted when we signed him. Going by his (touching) statement he found his home.

That try against Toulon is one of my all-time favourite Thomond moments, getting shivers now thinking about it!

If ever there was a case of a player maximising his ability Conway was it, always gave 100%, fearless in the air, was great to watch. And he had more to give as others said. Signed it all off with a try... one of our greats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Gutted for Conway; when you see the likes of Earls and Sexton, 32 seems a young age to bow out.

Exceptional talent at his best and in the conversation for best Munster wingers. I'd have Keenan as the only player in Irish rugby on a par with his ability under a high ball at present, tbh.

And that try versus Toulon... you'd go a long way to seeing a better individual try. Was a brilliant Thomond Park European Cup moment.

You'd wish him absolutely every success in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Terrible News - Almost feels like the game a few weeks ago was a case of "Get me on the pitch one last time before I have to go" and if so I'm glad he got that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Yeah. You’d hope he has something to fall back on. If it’s sudden (and it seems like it) he mightn’t have planned for it. Hope a coaching role or punditry is available. Best of luck to the guy. Great, honest, player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well, that's **** news about Conway, hopefully it works out for him in the future though (he seems to have a good head on his shoulders though so I don't doubt it will). Always gave his all on the pitch and had a real eye for the tryline, intelligent player. Cursed by injury, in the last few years though, real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Awful news about Conway. A fantastic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to Conway on his retirement, glad he got a URC medal. That try against Toulan is one of the great Munster Rugby moments

Jesus yer man Oli looks about 40 but is only in his late 20s

Some strike rate from him...

(also... Coombes is outrageous)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

One of the great European rugby moments imo. Unbelievable individual try but the fact that it was at that time and in a game of that calibre was the cherry on top.

Unbelievably talented player. Coming out of schools, his hype and skillset meant that he got a lot of comparisons to Luke Fitz. Unfortunately that turned out to be more true than we could ever realise. Definitely a career unfairly hampered by injuries but the fact he still had the career he did was a testament to his ability and work ethic.

Hard to imagine that Coombes has passed out CJ and is only one behind Earls

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Since 2013? Coombes must be doing that in a fraction of the number of games too. Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Unfortunately he didn't get a URC medal as he didn't play a minute last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Such a shame

The last few seasons went so fast and covid times so you'd forget

From Munster site:

Played first from the Academy in Sep 2018 v Cheetahs. Only 8 appearances that first season. Scored 15 in 22 in 20/21 season (club record). 14 in 22 this past season.

He's got 36 tries in 76 appearances, he's 26.

EDIT: So I don't fully understand my previous post!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Frank is always a mess.

Hume flopped to seal off at the ruck there as Frank was looking down at him. Hadn't a clue what he was looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Harsh yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

That's not even a bloody penalty!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Rugby union is a fecking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

That facial injury, eek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

I don't know how that became a penalty. Surely the attacker has some level of care on how they go into contact

Advertisement