Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

If you can't see how the wording of your post might be deemed inflammatory, you might be better off avoiding the Munster thread entirely.

(Even if I did get a good chuckle out of OTHP arguing with Mike Ross about bloody scrummaging of all things).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Team v Connacht on NYD

Munster: Simon Zebo; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; Tony Butler, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Eoghan Clarke, Oli Jager; Fineen Wycherley, Tadhg Beirne (C); Tom Ahern, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Jack O’Donoghue, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Seán O’Brien, Shay McCarthy.

• Think we have enough to beat them. They're the team under most pressure for a win IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Mods moderate posters post - clear enough for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Big night for Butler but has reasonable personnel around him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It will be fun to see him play. Interesting prospect as he was a good gaa player and is a really good athlete although a bit small.

Should be interesting to see who turns out better between him and tector as they were in same u20 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Glad to see Clarke getting a good chance to show his wears - we've little option I know but I doubt he'd have gotten much game time but for the injury curse. He didn't look out of place last weekend so I'd be happy to see him signed until the end of the season anyway (he's only on a short term deal correct?).

I'm happy enough to see both Clarke & Butler start, there's no doubt it's injury driven but both are capable of a good game.

It's not a match we need to win, though a win would be great. Escaping without more injuries and getting a few lads back for Toulon & Saints is far more important at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

A strong enough team to at least be competitive, and hopefully strong enough for the win. Excited to see more of Tony Butler, he's looked really good in flashes so far this season.

You'd think Conor Murray will be out to put in a better display than his last outing, could be a help to Butler in that regard having that experience around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I reported the post for personal abuse, particularly as the mod in question had just threatened me with a site ban for something far more mild than calling someone a "dick", but the mods have obviously investigated themselves and decided they've done nothing wrong.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@Interested Observer 2 week threadban.

Who'd be a mod ref, eh?

Someone else mentioned it above, but Zebo's form has been great lately. I think it's his first real run at FB since coming back and he looks as assured as ever under the high-ball (out-performed Keenan in that regard last week).

Was much needed, particularly after the Calvin Nash at FB experiment didn't go particularly well. Nash hasn't quite hit the heights of last season yet.

I think he outperformed Keenan in both matches v Leinster this year, of course, that was partially down to Keenan not having his best game in either game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's great that Zebo has come through the Leinster game without picking up another injury. I'm still a massive fan of his and can't wait to see him come up against Mack. I'd it their first time playing against each other?

A review of 2023 would have to have winning the URC as the highlight, aside from the final, winning the QF and the SF away from home was huge for us considering where we were at the start of the season.

The lows are losing Earls (retirement), Conway (enforced by injury) Kleyn becoming NIQ and no leeway from the IRFU, the current injury profile, especially Edogbo's as it happened to such a young promising player.

Hopes for 2024, we get to the knockout stages of both competitions

We sign someone to replace RGS's profile but obviously in a different position. Carbery returns to full health and performances.

Crowley's emergence and claiming the starting 10 spot another to add to the plus column. Imo, he's shown performance above anything we've seen from Carbery.

And (touch wood) guys like Ahern and Hodnett finally getting an injury free run.

And we also have the Crusaders game to look forward to for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hard to look past Crowley as the highlight of 2023.

Honorable mention to Hodnett.

Edogbo as the young player of the year (even if that's largely off his URC appearances since Oct)

And Jager as the one we'll look back on as the best business of 2023. That and renewing Kleyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Zebo was at fault for the larmor try in the Aviva.

Keenan looks like he's a bit of post world cup hangover but still comfortably the man in possession.

With the security of a 4 year deal I'd be disappointed if Farrell didn't look to the world cup (as much as is permissible with the irfu policy of win every game)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Keenan has the safest job in irish rugby. There is no including zebo even in the same postal code imo. I think it would need some youngster like Ben O Connor, McErlean, or someone coming up to really blossom.

Or maybe.. Mack Hansen.

IRFU value 6 nations just as high as world cups so i doubt you will get your wish.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone's saying Zebo is in the Ireland reckoning. But he has played better than Keenan in those games (who had some very uncharacteristic errors).

Zeebs is a player who has attracted some criticism since his return to Munster, unjustified imo; I think he's shown he's been very worthwhile squad member.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think Zebo should have been moved to full back, long ago. Had the vision, and always seemed to have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Was it the 2012 game against the Springboks where he was a surprise selection at fullback? It's not as if he only started playing fullback 2 or 3 seasons ago or something. And also he's an excellent left wing, so he can do both.

Could he force his way back in for Ireland? He's very assured under high balls, is a playmaker, good kicker, has a spark running it back... I think there's a good case to be made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Hes to old to be bringing in at this stage tbh and cant stay healthy. Still a grest player though. He may well never have left the team had he stayed home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Could you make it up like. Do munster hookers and 2nd rows do some battle royale or something after training?

Connacht win the coin toss, Munster kick off to start the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭fire_man

Crazy analyst from TG4 standing in the rain.Surely can be done inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Why not just dot that down, bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

That's an absolute howler from Coombes

Advertisement