Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Casey has got serious potential. If the view is to not rush him, I'm good with that. Murray was fast tracked but it took him a few seasons to develop into a top international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Think there's a world cup left in Murray. He's still recovering from injury if you ask me. I think he'll love the Larkham style of attack, he's certainly able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

jmn51927 wrote: »
    Absolutely blasphemous to say that his selection is and elephant in the room. Murray at 20% is better than the rest at max. First name on the team sheet. Every. Single. Time.

Think its this kind of attitude that gives a perfect illustration of why the All Blacks win when it matters and we don't.

Murray hasn't played well in over 12 months, and yet his name is first on the team sheet! Do you think for a second that is tolerated in NZ? No, they'd throw Casey in and allow him to develop. His development would then drive Murray to perform.

At this World Cup, we went with Earls, Kearney, Healy, to name just a few, when players in the squad were in better form. NZ dropped Ioane, Smith, Crotty and went with in form rookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The big question is why is Kieran Read signed to play for a club in Japan and not Munster. From the pictures I saw after the match on Saturday, its clear that Read and POM are friendly. Why hasn't POM been in is ear selling Munster to him?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The big question is why is Kieran Read signed to play for a club in Japan and not Munster. From the pictures I saw after the match on Saturday, its clear that Read and POM are friendly. Why hasn't POM been in is ear selling Munster to him?

Munster have a lot of backrow talent. O'Sullivan, Hodnett and Coombes will hopefully step up.

• Advertisement

Friday night game probably rules out any of the RWC players, whether they were involved on Saturday or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The IRFu probably would have vetoed the signing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Friday night game probably rules out any of the RWC players, whether they were involved on Saturday or not.

I'd say they'll have a week off and start reintegrating next week with view to playing in the Ulster game. Some like Ryan and Kleyn who got little game time in Japan might be involved against Cardiff.

jacothelad wrote: »
    The IRFu probably would have vetoed the signing.

There's no probably about it. It would definitely have been vetoed. The current Irish no. 8 (who's 4 years younger than Read) is already playing for Munster, with some great prospects coming up behind him. Not a chance that would have been allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Stander
    Botha
    Jack ODonoghue

Yeah Munster should sign Kieran Read

• Advertisement

I wasn't actually being serious about Munster signing Read but it would have been great to a former ABs captain and WPOTY playing a couple of seasons for them. Seeing him chatting to POM and his daughter made me dream. Every year I see former All Blacks leaving NZ for clubs in France, Japan and England and I always think how great it would be if one of them signed for Munster (or any Irish province). Someone like Owen Franks would have been a great buy or Milner-Skudder. I know money is a factor but maybe one day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wasn't actually being serious about Munster signing Read but it would have been great to a former ABs captain and WPOTY playing a couple of seasons for them. Seeing him chatting to POM and his daughter made me dream. Every year I see former All Blacks leaving NZ for clubs in France, Japan and England and I always think how great it would be if one of them signed for Munster (or any Irish province). Someone like Owen Franks would have been a great buy or Milner-Skudder. I know money is a factor but maybe one day.

I had hopes a few years ago that Conrad Smith might sign for Munster, he had spoken very highly about Munster in the past. Mils Muliaina probably the last one for Connacht? I'd say we just can't compete with the salaries on offer elsewhere.

(As an aside, I'll wish you congrats for Sat here; I'm afraid to step in to the Irish threads yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Internationals back in Munster training on November 4th confirmed by JVG.

I hoped they would be in a week sooner but ah well, I'm guessing the few who played little rugby at the world cup will be in line to start against Ulster with the Irish starters in the bench.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/10/21/squad-update-team-news-ahead-of-ospreys-clash/

JvG mentioned today in the usual Monday presser that Cloete will be available for Europe at worst. That's great news considering the initial fears.

Alex Wootton back in full training so hopefully he'll feature on Friday.

Going by the link only Parker and Cloete are unavailable, internationals aside, which is quite remarkable in the modern game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-ospreys-2/

Munster team vs Ospreys tomorrow night

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; Tyler Bleyendaal, Neil Cronin; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jed Holloway, Billy Holland (C); Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Jeremy Loughman, Fineen Wycherley, Arno Botha, Craig Casey, JJ Hanrahan, Sammy Arnold.

O'Sullivan starts and Casey is on the bench :D

Latest update. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/10/29/contract-news-squad-update/
    • JP Ferreira has extended his contract until 2022.
    • Rowntree started work yesterday.
    • Internationals back next week, but Carbery has to rehab the ankle injury that was 'managed' during the world cup.

Should Carbery even have traveled to Japan if he's still carrying the ankle injury and could now miss time with Munster?

Ah heor. You could have at least got past the QF if you're going to do that to us Ireland!
    "Rehab" hopefully means it's a few weeks at most. 23rd November and Racing 92 in Thomond Park is when they'll really need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Shortest injury list I've ever seen on a Munster email, just Calvin Nash! Joey will obviously go on that too next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

Full coaching contingent in place, really looking forward to this season. I don't expect silver wear, but I do expect / hope for more complete performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Hi guys was thinking of heading up for the ulster game from Cork next week and was wondering are there any buses put on specifically for munster fans? The regular buses go pretty frequently anyway but was just a thought. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi guys was thinking of heading up for the ulster game from Cork next week and was wondering are there any buses put on specifically for munster fans? The regular buses go pretty frequently anyway but was just a thought. Cheers.

If you're an MRSC member, then there's normally a bus put on. If not then you're stuck with public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

What do people think is Musters strongest backrow combination?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say POM and Stander start in most combinations.

So who takes the third spot?

If Cloete rediscovers his form from his first season here then for me its

6. POM, 7. Cloete and 8. Stander.

But JOD and Botha have made impressive starts to the season (I didn't see the Ospreys game so cant comment on that)

Would

6. JOD, 7. POM and 8. Stander work? are JOD and POM too similar type players to start together?

or

6. Stander 7. POM and 8. Botha. That would give the extra carrying option in the pack.

This is without mentioning TOD and possibly Beirne.

Plenty of options, a nice dilemma to have

I could be wrong, but with a combo of JOD, POM and Stander, I'd expect JOD to be in the 7 jersey. That's how they lined up against Saracens last year, for example. Tho JOD is definitely more of a 6 or 8. (Himself and Botha have both started the season very, very well).

It's one area we're pretty strong in, it might just end up being a horses for courses selection, but I'd expect Beirne to play the majority of his rugby in the 2nd row this season, as we're less well stocked there.

If he can get back to full fitness and put his injury troubles behind him tho, I'd nearly expect TOD to be our first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

aloooof wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but with a combo of JOD, POM and Stander, I'd expect JOD to be in the 7 jersey. That's how they lined up against Saracens last year, for example. Tho JOD is definitely more of a 6 or 8. (Himself and Botha have both started the season very, very well).

It's one area we're pretty strong in, it might just end up being a horses for courses selection, but I'd expect Beirne to play the majority of his rugby in the 2nd row this season, as we're less well stocked there.

If he can get back to full fitness and put his injury troubles behind him tho, I'd nearly expect TOD to be our first choice.

I'm not sure if it's an area we are very strong... we don´t have any out and out stars except for CJ. lots of good players though.
    POM wasn´t great this year at the world cup, except for the lineout work. I would have expected JOD and Conor Oliver to push on. Jack is a great player if he can knock it off with the penalties. Oliver when he first arrived was a massive annoyance to the opposition, and didn´t seem to have any fear for his own safety... but he has had his injuries.

Is Fineen seen as a back row or a second row? What about Sean OConnor?

I'm not sure if it's an area we are very strong... we don´t have any out and out stars except for CJ. lots of good players though.
    POM wasn´t great this year at the world cup, except for the lineout work. I would have expected JOD and Conor Oliver to push on. Jack is a great player if he can knock it off with the penalties. Oliver when he first arrived was a massive annoyance to the opposition, and didn´t seem to have any fear for his own safety... but he has had his injuries.

Is Fineen seen as a back row or a second row? What about Sean OConnor?

I think we're a lot stronger there than in the front or second rows, tbh.

JOD and Oliver have both had their injuries troubles to be fair to them; JOD had a long spell out after his injury in the Pro14 SF. Pre-season will have stood to him and hopefully now he can kick on.

I'd go with 6. JOD, 7. Cloete, 8. Stander or Botha with the other one on the bench for impact. POM needs a break or retraining or to go on loan somewhere, I don't know. He's been a great servant but his form has just been awful to average for so long now.

Cloete has got to sort his discipline. As it stands I'd opt for TOD at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm going WITH: 6 CJ/Beirne, 8 JoD/Botha, 7 ToD.
    Kleyn/Holland in the second row. Holland may be getting on but, he has become a real leader for Munster and I think they play better when he starts.

It's quite a big game for Cardiff. They are already eight points off the playoffs and their only win was a narrow one in SA over the Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Cloete has got to sort his discipline. As it stands I'd opt for TOD at 7.

Yes, he seems to get pinged a lot by refs, he's a terrific player but giving away penalties takes from his overall game.

Advertisement