Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd be curious as to the reaction of the league if the IRFU shuffled some players about. I wouldn't be against it, but could imagine some other clubs being annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think lads getting playing time is important. So what if a couple of Leinster players line out for Munster for a game or so? Munster are in need of 2nd rows and Leinster have a couple that are available short term.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I imagine the other clubs being apoplectic about it to be point of threatening the fabric of the URC itself. It would almost certainly cause the rules to change to stop any future attempt to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If players frequently move within-union on long-term deals (e.g., Henshaw to Leinster), why would it suddenly "threaten the fabric of the URC" for players to move within-union as short-term medical jokers?

Because every team faces short term injury problems at some point or another and do not have the resources of the national body just floating players between other teams to help them with it. There is already friction at Union owned teams competing with individually owned club teams.

A player moving when their contract is up is one thing, it happens across the game. The IRFU moving around players in-season to abet an injury problem at one squad is essentially just financial doping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Ali Price is on loan from Glasgow to Edinburgh, the world didn't cave in, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not buying this. All provinces are financially doped already by the IRFU in some form or another (central contracts, low interest loans, etc).

Which is no problem because the URC is an inherently (and uniquely) cooperative league, ran by the unions with a broadly defined mission to service national sides. Who are these individually-owned clubs causing friction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Ben Murphy went on loan to Munster before - there's been precedent

Mind since the Wasps affair, I think Munster have been insistent on using youth in such situations

I think Ian Nagle was loaned to Ulster from Leinster, after being loaned from Munster to Newcastle earlier in his career.

Dragons loan Max Clark and Josh Reynolds to URC rivals Cardiff

DRAGONS boss Dai Flanagan says it’s a win-win situation for two of his senior players to join rivals Cardiff on loan – and he believes Welsh clubs need to work closer together.

• Advertisement

Not inter union but inter URC loan here

Scrum-half Jantjies Signed On Loan

Scarlets have signed scrum half Herschel Jantjies on a short term loan for Saturday’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Cheetahs Rugby.

Jonathan Evans has suffered an ankle injury that is likely to keep him out for action up to six weeks leaving the Scarlets short of scrum half cover for the second of two games in South Africa.

Scarlets had to call on the expertise of former Scarlet Mike Phillips to cover the scrum half berth following an injury to Declan Smith and Aled and Gareth Davies in Wales camp.

Stormers halfback Herschel Jantjies has been signed on a short term loan for Saturday’s clash.

Head Coach Wayne Pivac said; “We’ve had to be creative and think outside the box with our halfbacks on this tour!”

For the season. Not for a couple matches in the middle of it. This is quite clearly a fundamentally different scenario.

While in the sub-academy and he didn't play.

Soroka and Deeny are both in the Leinster senior squad. In an absolute emergency they might be allowed move but only if it was for the rest of the season and even then I doubt it.

I would have thought the difference between players both a) moving for a season in advance and b) moving on loan between teams not owned by the same entity and the situation being discussed would be evident. Things are different as it is a Union run league indeed, but owning multiple teams in a league is generally not allowed precisely for this reason (among others).

Either the principle of loaning players from one club to another is allowed or it's not, the evidence, is that it's allowed, for both short term (Herschel Jantjies) and longer term (the other examples).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is loaning a good idea? I get that we need the experience but I also find it takes time for players to bed in and get used to each other. The last thing you want is players getting lost on the pitch

I never said it wasn't allowed.

If you want to conflate season long loans agreed before the season, emergency loans when a term is 15000km away and more generally agreements between separately owned clubs with the IRFU acting as if they have a 200 man squad to move around to get the best four teams out that is your business. But I would suggest the other teams in the URC would not see it the same way. They are fundamentally different scenarios.

The IRFU allowing Munster to essentially borrow some players for free due to injury issues would go down like a lead balloon across the league.

Anyway, Soroka is injured, which makes this whole thing even sillier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Wouldn’t Munster want more experienced players anyway?

The big beneficiaries of that would be leinster. Soroka and Deeny get senior playing time that probably wouldn’t be available and come back more experienced.

Munster would prob prefer someone like McDonald they got last year.

Ali Price's move was announced by Glasgow in November, the URC started in October.

I thought the club that received the loaned player would pay them, no idea why you're suggesting we'd get them for free.

The IRFU own all the teams at the end of the day and the IRFU pays all players in Ireland. Moving players for gametime for the season is a completely different scenario from moving players for a month to cover short term injury problems. If it happened there would just be a push to bring in rules around only playing for one URC team a season.

There is zero chance of a short term cover situation happening and teams would be (rightly) incredibly annoyed by it. I mean, there is a reason you can't do it in the EPCR

If they're moving, they're moving to cover injured players.

You're painting a picture that doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

Ali Price moved because he is no longer first choice at Glasgow. The idea of a temporary 1/2 month loan for injury cover is bonkers and the only comparable situation is the Jantijies one, and that is obviously still wildly different.

Anyway, I'll bet about a million quid this isn't going to happen so I'm happy to leave it.

You've moved the goalposts with every post since you initially said other clubs wouldn't stand for it, I've given you examples of other clubs actually doing it and you're still looking for a angle to rule it out.

Leinster loaned Nagle mid season, Ali Price was loaned mid season, Jantjies loaned for one game.

Was there any noise from other clubs for any of these or other examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

As was John Cooney and Conor Gilsenan who moved for injury cover mid season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Even if there is a precedent... I'd prefer to stick with our own squad and work through it than get a loan. Give the next cab off the rank a chance, surely there's someone at AIL across Munster who can plug a gap like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Me too, especially, if there's light at the end of the injury tunnel but I'm not against injury cover either.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Rustyman101

Any update on JODs injury he was sucking the gas quite heavily going off, didn't look good for him.

Oli will go through HIA protocols I assume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Wouldn’t need to go to AIL baring a lot more injuries. McSweeney, Ryan, Donnelly, Hadden, Clein, Foxe, Moore, O’Sullivan, Quinn, O’Connell and Okeke have all gone almost completely unused this season. At a minimum they all have Ireland 20’s experience and are on Munsters books. Maybe you’d be worried about throwing an academy player in the front row but back row and second row and across the backs we have enough cover within the current squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭StormForce13

Forgive the interruption, but looking at the list of injured players earlier in the thread, I see no sign of Keynan Knox. Is he still with Munster?

Advertisement