Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He has def played for UCC this season. I watched them play Queens. He was in that game i’m 99% sure. They also mentioned him on the AIL podcast, the club scene one, as having played there this year. It was actually pretty funny. I think he bought the whole bus cans or something.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Soroka's been injured for the best part of two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ive not been impressed with killers fitness over the last 2 seasons, i hope he takes a page out of cian Healy book and uses his recovery to slim down and work on his gas tank. Cian healy made a change late in his career that gave him a new lease of life. Its something that could work for Killer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its great news that Jager doesnt appear to have any injury or problem past being knocked out the last day, a neck or head injury could easily have happened as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

You'd wonder is that Killer finished with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyone else think Jager looks like Michael Fassbender, if he were to bulk up for a role as a Batman baddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

anyone know if the 6N lottery took place yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I thought he had more of a Deliverance vibe about him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Strange the way this was done so quietly. Surely there'll have to be some sort of ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

That's crazy, I mean the way the citing was made public rather then he being cited and yes, like you, I think he will receive a ban.

• Advertisement

Does that imply Munster cited him rather than the independent citing officer?

I think it's one of those really unfortunate incidents you get - he's coming in from the side (slightly) but I think the way JOD extends himself to engage the other Connacht player coming in to the ruck leads to his right foot being kind of planted in that position and Ralston's full weight hitting at a rigid knee.

It's horrendous for JOD obviously, but I absolutely don't see intent or even a high degree of recklessness. The referee cited the injury to the player as a factor in showing Ralston a yellow.

Later in the game, Hodnett came in from the side at a ruck and hit down on Hansen, dislocating his shoulder, and as far as I know, the incident didn't even receive a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

I agree with you , reckless play by Ralston. No excuses, Deserves a long ban.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you are clearing out a ruck would you target a knee?

For me its completely reckless. A person jackaling is likely to have their foot planted and hence targeting the knee is likely to result in an injury.

If their foot isn't planted then likely you don't clear them out so your clear out is ineffective.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think he "targets the knee" - I think he missed the contact on JOD further up (shoulder/chest) and came through on the knee.

Side entry and poorly timed , but not deliberate or malicious at all..

Only the player will know for sure what he targetted but like a high hit, the responsibility lies with the player to ensure his actions don't cause injury to another player. What isn't in doubt is that he had one hand on JOD foot, hit that leg as he made contact and because the planted foot was pinned there was no give.

We can wait and see how the citing goes but I'd be shocked if he doesn't receive a ban.

I get that.

As a Munster fan I'm going to have quite a biased view.

I see him coming in from the side (barely), driving downwards so never really cleaning out, and hitting a player direct to the knee with the shoulder. If he hit him higher like you said then its likely to the head/neck due to JOD body position and still dangerous.

It was always likely to cause an injury and I don't see a real clear out there. I don't think he meant to injure the player, but I do think he went in to make a big hit on a prone player. It's exactly the type of clean outs that need to be removed from the game.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure that the clubs can no longer cite anyone (and the provinces would have done so between each other anyway). It's all down to the independent citing commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

On the injury front, the availability of Oli Jager, Fineen Wycherley, Alex Nankivell, Niall Scannell, Peter O’Mahony, Joey Carbery and Patrick Campbell will be determined later in the week.

There is a positive update for Eoghan Clarke as he has completed the return to play protocols and is available for the weekend.

Oli Jager is continuing the return to play protocols.

Fineen Wycherley and Peter O’Mahony (both shoulder) are increasing their training exposure this week.

Alex Nankivell (ankle), Niall Scannell (groin), Joey Carbery (wrist) and Patrick Campbell (shoulder) all return to training this week.

Jack O’Donoghue’s need for surgery on a knee injury will be determined following a surgical consultation this week.

With his eye issue slow to recover and set to keep him out of action for the coming months, Jean Kleyn has undergone surgery on an ongoing knee issue and will not return to play this season.

There is good news for Mike Haley (hip) and Cian Hurley (ankle/achilles) as they will return to training in the coming weeks.

RG Snyman (chest/shoulder) is continuing to rehab and is due a return to action in March.

Continuing to rehab: Jack O’Donoghue (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (shoulder), Diarmuid Barron (foot), Edwin Edogbo (achilles), Jean Kleyn (eye/knee), Jack Daly (ankle), Liam Coombes (shoulder), RG Snyman (chest/shoulder), Roman Salanoa (knee), Mike Haley (hip), Cian Hurley (ankle/achilles). https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2024/01/08/squad-update-preparations-continue-for-toulon/#post

Huge news on Kleyn, shame really to be without two RWC winners. Hopefully RGS will be available to us before end of season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Kleyn :'(

• Advertisement

Balls on the Kleyn news, but in general it's a good update. That's a lot of players coming back into training.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whatever the eye injury is it must be pretty significant if they've decided that he might as well have a knee surgery that keeps him out of the season while he's at it.

Horrible luck for the guy (and the team).

Between Kleyn , RGS and Edogbo that's a lot of heft unavailable in the Second Row for Munster , leaves them seriously short of the bulk you need in the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Coombes will probably have to play second row for most of the rest of the season. Hard to see Gleeson being left go to the 20's and you'd imagine O'Connell will have to be pulled too, even though GR doesn't seem too keen to play him.

Agree on Coombes but the knock-on impact is that Coombes is far less involved around the park and less of a carrying option.

That has been clearly evident in the games thus far where he has played in the row.

With JOD now out - Who will play at 8 ?

Bit too soon I think for Gleeson to be relied on to start all the time so perhaps Kendellen?

Finding the right balance of players to ensure that you have viable Lineout options as well as carrying options will be a big challenge I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think it's a filthy hit. He should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'm not seeing it as targeting the knee either to be honest. To me it looks like he's trying to get there before JOD is in a strong position. If he had been a bit closer he'd have arrived with more control and could have gotten to JOD while he was on one leg and off balance. Might still have been a bit of a side entry, but wouldn't have been as clear cut and you might get away with it.

As it played out he was too far away and came in too fast. A bit like the red for Tom Curry in the WC or Freddie Stewart against Ireland in the 6N. I don't think either were malicious, but they were coming in too fast to adjust to what happened in front of them so they're responsible.

Shame, it never really worked out for him. Injury destroyed him.

I admit I'm biased as a munster fan but I'm sure that also applies to you the other way.

If he had a bit closer he'd have arrived with more control.

But because he wasn't he hit JOD direct to a planted leg, from the side, coming in at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clearouts should just be got rid of. Whether intentional or not they're just too dangerous and the injuries resulting from them are often career-threatening.

Advertisement