Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kevin O'Byrne
    Rhys Marshall
    Niall Scannell

James Cronin
    Dave Kilcoyne
    Liam O'Connor
    Jeremy Loughman

Stephen Archer
    John Ryan
    Keynan Knox

Tadhg Beirne
    Billy Holland
    Jean Kleyn
    Jed Holloway
    Darren O'Shea
    Fineen Wycherley

Arno Botha
    Chris Cloete
    Tommy O'Donnell
    Jack O'Donoghue
    Peter O'Mahony
    Jack O'Sullivan
    CJ Stander

Neil Cronin
    Alby Mathewson
    Nick McCarthy
    Conor Murray

Tyler Bleyendaal
    Joey Carbery
    JJ Hanrahan

Sam Arnold
    Shane Daly
    Chris Farrell
    Dan Goggin
    Rory Scannell

Andrew Conway
    Keith Earls
    Mike Haley
    Calvin Nash
    Darren Sweetnam
    Alex Wootton

https://www.epcrugby.com/club/munster-rugby/#statistics

There's a new rule for this season that five players can be swapped by Wednesday 13th November, to cover for any RWC injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The half back positions are definitely our weakest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shane Daly in a centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Can we call up Casey if and when Albys contract expires in November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Can we call up Casey if and when Albys contract expires in November?

Yeah he can be registered as a 'swap' player, and switched out any time before March I believe.

Daly to FB, Jacko to captain, new front row and a change of halfbacks

EISRXSNWkAAX6tt?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

phog wrote: »

Was hoping to see more of Craig Casey this week! He was a huge presence on the field when he came on last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »

lack of limerick players is a worry but great to see the starting pack with 5 who played all or nearly all their age grade in youths rugby set ups

Lot of changes and hopefully big performance as not long until Europe now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

lack of limerick players is a worry but great to see the starting pack with 5 who played all or nearly all their age grade in youths rugby set ups

Lot of changes and hopefully big performance as not long until Europe now

There are 2 Limerick players on the team. I'd say the bigger issue is that 11 of the 23 aren't from Munster.

And who's the 5th pack member who played youths rugby in Munster? JOD, DOS, KOB, Wycherley and ???? Because Knox arrived from SA two years ago aged 18, Loughman came from Leinster and the other two are from SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

There are 2 Limerick players on the team. I'd say the bigger issue is that 11 of the 23 aren't from Munster.

Of course you’d say this but not take note of the fact that last week 5 of the team aren’t born in ireland with 1 from leinster in Loughman. And then 6 the week before against the Cheetahs. Munster are producing high quality youth players again raised in Munster

And who's the 5th pack member who played youths rugby in Munster? JOD, DOS, KOB, Wycherley and ???? Because Knox arrived from SA two years ago aged 18, Loughman came from Leinster and the other two are from SA.
    I was including loughman as primarily having played youths rugby. I didn't say the 5 had played youths rugby in the province
    Yes the numbers not coming from the provinces own clubs is the issue but that is very much linked to limerick and lack of players coming from the city.

I was including loughman as primarily having played youths rugby. I didn't say the 5 had played youths rugby in the province
    Yes the numbers not coming from the provinces own clubs is the issue but that is very much linked to limerick and lack of players coming from the city.

why does it matter where they are coming from? rural areas e.g west cork and producing top talent at a rate of knots. Sweetnam Coombes Coombes Wycherley Wycherley James French Hodnett to name but a few. I think it’s brilliant to have different areas like West Cork and Waterford producing talent in addition to the usual Cork and Limerick areas of which there is still players coming through

jmn51927 wrote: »
    Of course you’d say this but not take note of the fact that last week 5 of the team aren’t born in ireland with 1 from leinster in Loughman. And then 6 the week before against the Cheetahs. Munster are producing high quality youth players again raised in Munster

Okaaaayyyy. Maybe try reading my post and the post I was responding to (And reading my username. It makes my rugby loyalties quite obvious).

I said not from Munster. I didn't make any mention of where they were or weren't born. And while we are now producing more players from the academy, there are still few international class players being produced.

jmn51927 wrote: »
    why does it matter where they are coming from? rural areas e.g west cork and producing top talent at a rate of knots. Sweetnam Coombes Coombes Wycherley Wycherley James French Hodnett to name but a few. I think it’s brilliant to have different areas like West Cork and Waterford producing talent in addition to the usual Cork and Limerick areas of which there is still players coming through
    because limerick is the second biggest area in the province and lack of players coming from clubs there at least compared to past successful sides isnt a good thing if you expect or hope Munster will challenge for trophies.

Okaaaayyyy. Maybe try reading my post and the post I was responding to (And reading my username. It makes my rugby loyalties quite obvious).

I said not from Munster. I didn't make any mention of where they were or weren't born. And while we are now producing more players from the academy, there are still few international class players being produced.
    I understand that but in addition to a valid point we must credit the work that is being done by the academy. We are very quick to want more but should appreciate how far we have come

because limerick is the second biggest area in the province and lack of players coming from clubs there at least compared to past successful sides isnt a good thing if you expect or hope Munster will challenge for trophies.

There was 11 players playing for Leinster from Kildare. Cycles of hotspots change over periods of time. It shouldn’t matter where they are coming from unless it was closer to 0. Still players coming through Limerick schools, Casey Healy and the likes

Limerick rugby has never been just about Limerick. There been players from Clare, North Tipp and North Kerry coming through the Limerick clubs for years. Foley, Quinlan, Galwey, JJ etc. These days you've got the likes of Dairmuid Barron, Jack Daly, Ben Healey and Alan Tynan coming up through the academy playing in Limerick. And Nash and Goggin have come though from Limerick in recent years.

Limerick rugby has never been just about Limerick. There been players from Clare, North Tipp and North Kerry coming through the Limerick clubs for years. Foley, Quinlan, Galwey, JJ etc. These days you've got the likes of Dairmuid Barron, Jack Daly, Ben Healey and Alan Tynan coming up through the academy playing in Limerick. And Nash and Goggin have come though from Limerick in recent years.
    and many from limerick would do well to remember that abot players from across tipperary, Kerry Clare did and do play in the city but my point still stands about limerick city and lack of players has to be a major concern considering number of clubs in the city
    Though Foley grew up in kill aloe. He cant be listed with others as every bit of rugby he played was in the city with munchins and shannon.

Coaching setup finally in place, be interesting to see how the lads returning for Irish Camp integrate back into a very changed set-up.

On the coaching ticket, delighted to see Felix get a world cup medal with SA, Rassie always had a high opinion of him. Fair play to Rassie and Jacques too, they brought SA from the doldrums to No1 in the world in two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Damian de Allende joining next season on a 2 year deal link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a great signing. Utterly ridiculous when we're supposed to be focusing on developing Irish talent. But still a great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Clegg wrote: »
    That's a great signing. Utterly ridiculous when we're supposed to be focusing on developing Irish talent. But still a great signing.

ya i'm all for developing our own talent, but it is a great signing. big south african centres has worked well for us in the past !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

That would be an incredible signing. One of the Boks standouts at the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

De Allende and Chris Farrell in midfield is fairly bosherific.

It doesn't at all mesh with the Larkham dual playmaker tactics, but when you have a chance to sign a player like that, you bring him in and worry about playing style later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

This! its not exactly an area we are struggling in either.

Saying that, first "marquee" player in quite some time.

He's a straight replacement for Botha in terms of being NIE.

What a signing if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Would be our only NIQ back with Alby leaving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The "he's blocking the development of xyz" argument. Fantastic.

p.s. It's great that Munster can attract such a player.

• Advertisement

He's a straight replacement for Botha in terms of being NIE.

What a signing if it's true.

We actually have spare NIE places this season. Only Botha and Cloete. Even even including Mathewson and Holloway who'll be gone in 4 week, we've and empty spot.

Advertisement