Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So you're dredging up comments from periods of POM's poor form from a few posters who only went one step beyond what you're comfortable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

A player who is in poor form gets it commented on hardly makes POM some kind of victim.

I specifically asked for posts when POM was in form and playing well and you provided absolutely zero.

If you think saying "Herpes is easier to be rid of than POM" is the same as commenting on his form, then I think it's fair to say we're not going to agree, chief.

Even still, that comment in particular was before the 2021 AI's. He had started the season brilliantly for Munster. He wasn't remotely close to poor form then.

I've provided plenty, you just don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

wasnt he originally meant to be touring and munster swapped him for crowley? maybe it was just a rumour

• Advertisement

Possibly so, can't say I heard that but could be true.

From what I recall, when it was announced, there was a nod towards the squad that played the Maori, but there was such a backlash from the Provinces, they seemed to go for another level down/younger group than originally intended.

But there was never anything official, so it's all hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pretty sure he gets one too.

Even if you want to look at it purely from a financial perspective, if his presence leads to a single win, moving Ireland up a single place in the 6N, you have a return on the investment of giving him an extra year in his contract.

And if you think POM's presence won't be so impactful, well, look at Munster last week vs Toulon, relative to the recent games without him.

Or better yet, ask a certain 50-cap international prop forward who is still getting the crap stains out of his drawers after he questioned his team mates...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Foxtrol has herpes everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

It would be nice if the thread wasn't hijacked at every opportunity for some one-upmanship.

It's probably easier get rid of herpes than trolls.

What a weak attempt to rewrite history. Absolutely no one at the time in that thread was speaking positively about POM's inclusion based on form or used it as a defense for his selection.

Here is your comment about POMs inclusion just a few posts later:

I wouldn't have him in the starting 15 either, but as Burkie said, I'm not going to lose sleep over it when there is plenty of players getting proper opportunities now.

Are you also part of the group of posters you were moaning about? Did it take you a few years to come to fully appreciate POMs 'brilliant form' coming off a Munster loss to the Ospreys and wins over SA sides without all their internationals?

That poster used hyperbolic language but hardly the evidence that POM is some sort of victim.

You've provided zero examples of what I asked, of that language used when POM is in form and playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The amount of pointless sniping here... Are ye all ageing scrum halves?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's no longer a discussion forum for a few posters more a place for endless point scoring and goading of posters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You've provided zero examples of what I asked, of that language used when POM is in form and playing well.

This is a bit pointless. By definition those complaining are going to think he is not in form and not playing well.

He definitely had a period of a season or two when I don't think he was contributing particularly well. He inevitably attracted criticism, some definitely over the top, because of the seeming inability of the coaches to drop him. A lot of it came in the form of pushing for Ruddock - who at times was definitely playing better. But I think it probably continued on a bit afterwards too even when he was playing well again. He is not a classic 6 which is part of the problem - it's rare to see him top, or frankly anywhere near the top, of the tackle count etc.

But no team is ever completely picked on form and even as irritating as I found it at the time, he has contributed by and large excellently.

I don’t really understand this argument - why else would you give him a central contract or any other contract if not based on what you think he’ll do over the course of that contract?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: If you think someone is a troll report it and we'll look at it when we can. If you find a discussion tedious, ignore it. Otherwise comment on posts and make your own points.

Let's leave the sniping in general there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

You'd have a case except the poster who is currently moaning about the negative comments at the time agreed that POM shouldn't have been selected. Now they're trying to gaslight us that he was in 'brilliant form' when not a single poster, including themselves, mentioned this form or tried to justify his selection based on it over the next several pages.

POM received criticism when he was selected while out of form but that is and always has been the same for all players. I understand why it might feel like he got it worse but from the 'evidence' presented to this point there was negativity when he was out of form.

I'd normally just say claims POM was the victim of some sort of campaign worse than other players wasn't accurate and move on but the poster in question has a long history of demanding receipts to back up statements of posters so I'd presumed they'd have theirs at the ready. I'm good to leave it there as no point in trying to get blood from a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

What is the background to the reference to the 50cap prop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

A lot of sense being spoken here. Hugely likely POM will start away in France. It would be too much leadership to lose in a tough away game against one of the top teams in the world with him and Sexton both gone. However I also expect as the 6N goes on that the no.6 shirt begins to transition to Baird / Prendergast. At best POM will get 1 more year on a CC. Otherwise it'll be up to us in Munster to pony up the cash to keep him. There's 2 good years left in him for Munster, injury allowing. My fear is the rumours that he and Wig don't see eye to eye. If a CC isn't forthcoming he way well decide to make the big coin in France as a retirement package. Any intelligent human would do so.

Edit: If POM goes and we get Dillane in his stead then it won't be the end of the world. We'd lose POMs leadership qualities and gain Dillane's athleticism. My hope is that POM stays and Dillane comes anyway as an RG replacement. Would be great to get an Irish and Munster man back.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd heard O'Mahony was retiring last season but the IRFU persuaded him to stay on to the end of the RWC and that got negotiated out to the end of this season, too much wear and tear on his body and was fed up with it. Unless the IRFU make him an offer he can't turn down I think he will retire from rugby at the end of this season. Can't blame him, and not everyone would want to move their family to France etc for a year or two. I'd assume he has already made his money, and the only team he'd be willing to put his body through more damage for would be Munster and of course Ireland.

It's interesting how many Leinster posters have materialised in this thread the past few days hopping on about how Munster should have sorted this out etc, when this goes beyond the budget they'd have. And blaming the private backers that put funds together to sign foreign talent is more of it.

• Advertisement

There's an obvious difference between being out of the 15 and being dropped from the squad entirely. But again, you just want to attack me rather than engage in the argument:

• What a weak attempt to rewrite history.
    • Are you also part of the group of posters you were moaning about? 
    • Did it take you a few years to come to fully appreciate POMs 'brilliant form'
    • Now they're trying to gaslight us
    • I'm good to leave it there as no point in trying to get blood from a stone.

But if you really want evidence of me saying POM was playing brilliant around then, here goes:

20th Oct '21:

POM has started the season brilliantly. Even when he plays well, you argue he shouldn’t be included.

12th Oct '21:

And POM has started this season brilliantly

20th Oct '21:

With Connors out so you'd imagine we're likely to see POM or Timoney start at least one of the games at 7.

2nd Oct '21:

Thought POM was outstanding; saved a try, 2 line out steals, a jackal turnover, superb on our lineout, good hands out wide when we were struggling for territory.

8th Nov '21:

You mention form; [POM's] been in brilliant form for Munster this season.

So what you're saying here...

Now they're trying to gaslight us that he was in 'brilliant form' when not a single poster, including themselves, mentioned this form

...isn't remotely true.

Because of the influence he brings to camp, outside of just minutes on the field.

Like I said, those things can be intangible and difficult to quantify. But we know they are things Farrell values. And fwiw, I'd still have him starting at 6 this 6N.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Is that a rumour coming from somewhere or are we just getting my hopes up?

The 'Leinster supporters' pointing out this is Munster's issue are saying so in response to assertions from Munster fans who are once again attempting to blame this issue on the IRFU / big bad David Nucifora bogeyman again.

I had similarly heard about the issues with POM's contract pre RWC, that there was a significant stand off, so this turn of events here shouldn't be that surprising.

Munster fans can argue funding this "goes beyond the budget they have" absolutely, but that's a choice Munster are making. There has been a theme in recent years of Munster having to move on from valued players for budgetary reasons, including guys like James Cronin & John Ryan, but over the same time frame Munster have signed a lot of players. That's a choice and a budget allocation decision Munster make.

No one is blaming the private backers either for this - but it's probably a legitimate query too. Why are private backers prepared to make cash available for Springbok signings but not for legendary homegrown players?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

POM to be made ireland captain !!!

that puts paid to the last few pages here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Surely he gets a new contract soon after being named captain. Unless it's a thank you for your service reward for this Six Nations and he leaves in the summer.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nah, no way hes named captain for 6 months.

id imagine a min 1 year CC extension to bring him to the end of the 25 season and then he'll retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Yeah my brother said similar. Minimum one year and possibly captains the Lions before leaving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement