Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

The "he's blocking the development of xyz" argument. Fantastic.

p.s. It's great that Munster can attract such a player.

I presume Rassie would have been a great benefit in this case !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We actually have spare NIE places this season. Only Botha and Cloete. Even even including Mathewson and Holloway who'll be gone in 4 week, we've and empty spot.

Just like speed, it's a limit, not a target... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Centre is the position in which Ireland least need more players to come through, and this is a huge coup for Munster. The first marquee signing for Munster in ages?

Good news all round, delighted

Edit : not great news for R Scannell obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,176 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The "he's blocking the development of xyz" argument. Fantastic.

p.s. It's great that Munster can attract such a player.

It's a relevant argument to make though. Munster have Scannell, Farrell, Goggin,French and Arnold. That's a lot of young centres who now won't get gametime. I'm of the view that if you can get in someone better, that's what you should do. But in light of Ireland's struggles at 12 this season, with Aki playing poorly and Henshaw injured for so long, it would make sense to give the younger Irish qualifies centres as much time as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's a huge signing, if true. Biggest name in quite awhile. Makes me wonder if maybe there was something to the Handre Pollard rumour from awhile back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Cloete will be Irish qualified next season, so surely we could hold on to Botha and De Allende together as our only NIQ's, assuming Holloway and Mathewson will be finishing up with Munster at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

According to Cian Tracey were are signing RG Snyman too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

yerrahbah wrote: »

Holland will be retiring presumably but I would have thought the second row is well stocked with Beirne, Kleyn and Wycherley.

yerrahbah wrote: »

Something tells me Three Red Kings will get serious value out of this if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Fantastic signing of some real top drawer international talent.

Having said that I feel that it is the forwards where we need to improve to live with the top 3 or 4 teams in europe. If we want to beat Saracens, Leinster, Racing (not so much this year perhaps) etc we need something more upfront.

We have really solid forwards but I would argue we have no truly world class forwards at the moment, POM and CJ are probably the closest and if Kilcoyne continues the way he is going he could be up there some day but at the moment how do we stack up beside Saracens pack with Itoje, Vunipola x2, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Holland will be retiring presumably but I would have thought the second row is well stocked with Beirne, Kleyn and Wycherley.

Is that well stocked? Beirne is better at 6 Kleyn looked very average on the international stage and Wycherly has bags of potential but can't do everything. Snyman would bring a proper enforcer to the pack which is needed

randomrb wrote: »
    Is that well stocked? Beirne is better at 6 Kleyn looked very average on the international stage and Wycherly has bags of potential but can't do everything. Snyman would bring a proper enforcer to the pack which is needed

Kleyn is that enforcer already I think.

I suppose we want to break the SF curse so let's do it!

randomrb wrote: »
    Fantastic signing of some real top drawer international talent.

Having said that I feel that it is the forwards where we need to improve to live with the top 3 or 4 teams in europe. If we want to beat Saracens, Leinster, Racing (not so much this year perhaps) etc we need something more upfront.

We have really solid forwards but I would argue we have no truly world class forwards at the moment, POM and CJ are probably the closest and if Kilcoyne continues the way he is going he could be up there some day but at the moment how do we stack up beside Saracens pack with Itoje, Vunipola x2, etc

Think you also have to factor in the possibility that PoM may be on the decline too. He was decent against NZ, I thought. Otherwise his performances in 2019 haven't been good. He was never a great carrier, but he's even less effective now. Getting two brutes in would cover over the cracks. Would also take a load off Stander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That is a MASSIVE signing if true, De Allende is probably the best inside centre in the world at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Two big signings for us, great news

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Cracking news. Will be fun to watch Snyman in our pack.

Didn’t think we would be strengthening in the centres anyway but what a great signing. Maybe a little similar to what we have but certainly of higher proven quality.

Agent Felix is really working wonders. PSDT now please or bring Oosthuizen back to his Irish roots!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Waht????!! No way!!! Faf who? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Well, this is some un-expected news.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Don’t mind the argument about locating the training base in Limerick or Cork, you can add Pretoria to the list for consideration.

That said, it’s no harm expanding the number of SA teams in the PRO14 to 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Great news. Any chance of Rassie bringing SA to Thomond for a game?

tototoe wrote: »
    Great news. Any chance of Rassie bringing SA to Thomond for a game?
    SA playing Ireland November next year. Another mid week Munster game would be pretty special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

SA playing Ireland November next year. Another mid week Munster game would be pretty special.

That's my thinking. T'would be savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

With the signing of Synman will that mean moving Beirne into the back row?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    With the signing of Synman will that mean moving Beirne into the back row?

Snyman is a tighthead lock so I imagine he will compete with Kleyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

It's likely with the news that Sammy Arnold will be relocated, possibly back up to Ulster?

Any of this actually confirmed yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Whitters22 wrote: »
    It's likely with the news that Sammy Arnold will be relocated, possibly back up to Ulster?

None of this is happening until next season, so nobody is going anywhere yet.
    Any of this actually confirmed yet?

No, but multiple sources are reporting it.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/11/05/player-update-6/

- DDA and Snyman not signed just yet.
    - Wootton following RTTP
    - Sweetnam suffered hamstring injury
    - Carbery and Parker unavailable
    - Majority of internationals to feature vs Ulster

• Advertisement

- DDA and Snyman not signed just yet.

Is it just me or is it unusual that they'd even mention this, until they deals are complete?

Advertisement