Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Agreed - poor defending at the fringes of the ruck were the routes for 2 tries. Not sure NH would have gone away with no score from their visits to the 22, but twice they made a break at or close to the ruck and there was no defender to beat, 2 tries were the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

He looks an excellent player. Like his all around game tbh.

It's a shame he doesn't have any Irish heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Made a great rip and turnover as well in the 22. Carries well. Looks a great addition to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Beat 12 defenders but is a bosh merchant... hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As incredible as this may be for some, you can run directly at defenders and beat them when they fall off the tackle.

Mindblowing, I know.

The other player to beat 12 defenders at the weekend was the jinking, nimble footed 107kg Freddie Steward.

Nankivell is an excellent player. Saying he runs at people in his carrying isn't an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Bit of perspective, for the last 6 matches starting with Bayonne draw, munster have scored 105 pts and conceded 124 pts.

winning one and losing four of those matches.

As far as i am aware they were leading all but one of those games at 60 mins.

So is it fair to say they were playing good/ok winning rugby for 60 minutes , no ?

the fault was with the execution in the last 15/20 mins.

60 mins is the point where you introduce your replacements to give a boost to the team, especially in the forwards which is very attritional .

if the replacements were of a better caliber for one or three of those replacement (Barron, JOD & klyne for instance), would it be enough to win/draw the last 15-20 mins of those matches ?

Maybe/maybe not but it would have given Munster a better chance of keeping the good/ok rugby going as per the first 60 mins.

only a thought on a windy Monday afternoon.

This is a WhatsApp message I sent to a rugby group about the loss

Ask Christy, before kickoff, I said to him that the weather was to get worse around 7 and off course, we were playing into the wind & rain by then and as it happened we were also without POM & Ahern.

We really need one of Kleyn or RGS but they're out injured

Yeah, that's possible and feel free to colour my mind blown... but my memory of him this season isn't him running over fellas to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong but he uses footwork to evade/break the tackle or offload out of the tackle. A Danty or Aki battering ram type he ain't, for me anyways. I'm sure he does a bit of trucking up in traffic, nature of the position. I was at the game at the weekend so I can't say I was focused on him for this match in particular compared to the more birdseye view on TV.

He's been a great signing for us, an upgrade on Rory Scannell and Dan Goggin for sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He uses footwork to break tackles, not evade tackles. His power through the contact is one of the best in the game, If he was english they would be screaming for him to be included as they dont have any 12's

• Advertisement

Tbh, I think he evades tackles too but he knows he has the power to break one if needed

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah yeah of course, he will take the space if its offered to him, like any good centre, but in the main the defenders he beats are through the tackle rather than around. His leg drive and movement after contact to rid himself of a tackler is at an extremely high level. It is bundee-esque.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not a phrase I'm a particular fan of, but he seems to play above his size. Has looked a find, and a welcome break for him now I'd say, he has a lot of rugby in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think your second paragraph makes a very good point, combined with the wind it meant playing any sort of a territory game in the second half was almost impossible. having said that, if thats what the defence is showing, then the wider players have to take on some of the kicking responsibility (presuming the defence has moved up when it gets to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Poor Ahearn out of the Irish extended panel due to injury - disgusted for him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely - Hopefully he'll be well enough to join up with the squad later , although not sure if the "extended panel " guys like Ahern , Prendergast and Jaeger are involved once the 6N's fully kicks off.

Either way , big personal loss for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Just in case it's any use to anyone going to the Crusaders match, can finally book tickets for the Limerick-Cork train as of this afternoon. A few services have the low price tickets sold out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theyre doing works on line so bus transfers are in place along some of cork limerick line tgat weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Likely Ahern can't take any contact as he goes through the graduated RTP protocols. Fingers crossed for him. Hope he can link back up with the squad when they return from Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yes Mallow-Cork section. There's bus from/to Mallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 robfromkildimo

Does anyone here know when we’ll find out what day/time the Northampton game is on? Cheers👍🏼

According to Opta, Alex Nankivell has the most defenders beaten in the pool stages with 31.

Nearest players (Thaakir Abrahams, Romain Buros, Doris) all on 18.

I saw that tweet, very impressive by Nankivell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Why are you saying Munster needed a kicking game playing into a gale force wind? I think you're talking out your hoop to be honest.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yeah, you're free to think what you want, it's not exactly constructive or good quality engagement though.

Rowntree also came out and said he felt Munster "lost their way" and specifically said: "And then we were doing things that we had spoken about not doing with the ball, running when we meant to kick and kicking when we meant to run."

but maybe you think he's talking out of his hoop too?

Wouldn't be the first time some spoofer on the internet thought he knew best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MOD: Less of the personal insults. Lets nip this in the bud before it proceeds any further please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Totally agree, although I might head over to the "whatever province" thread and utterly make stuff up to suit my trolling agenda. as long as I am polite..

toodle oo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This whole POM thing is kind of crazy or at least how its covered. I’m basically going through all the rugby podcasts this morning.

It seems like it would never have been a smart move for Munster to offer him a contract (or offer him near his full value which amounts to the same thing) because he is a potential ireland captain. That’s a really important job with a lot of responsibility. That’s a clear liability from their pov.

It just seems like one of those situations where the value of POM is more for everyone else but them. If he goes to France, they don’t have to deal with him having a more important job for ireland. The IRFU would be paying him directly for his role for them. Whereas, Munster would presumably have to get close to the same number and deal with a guy who has all the responsibilities and central control of the irish captain. That isn’t a good deal.

I’m not sure if that’s the exact logic they followed but now they have got to this point, and he has been named captain… it would be def be foolish to give in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MOD: Do not respond to a mod instruction. If you've a problem with moderation then PM one of the mods.

Advertisement