Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

All the coaching staff are signed up until June 2022, so JVG won't be going anywhere until at least then unless he decides to leave himself.

And JVG himself picked Larkham and Rountree so he is most definitely not 'being given some time'

All coaching staff have a 6 month get out clause

Lam and Rassie used to their advantage. Leinster and Connacht used to theirs

So contracts really are only an indication of a period, I give it till end of next season, to see how it goes

Just saw this posted on reddit. 2:45 is when the altercation between the medic and the player began.

If you go back to the start you can see the rest of it blowing up.

Needless to say George is pretty furious. He's always been quite friendly with the Irish players - think he was at Jack McGrath's wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The internationals are being rested against Leinster, per IRFU dictat.

They really make a great effort to try to stop people caring about the Pro14. The annual trading of wins between the provinces over the festive period remains ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

This season was always going to be a tough one to judge the coaching ticket on. Larkham worked mostly with the younger lads and fringe players, while the players with Ireland missed pre-season. You can see everyone trying to work on this new game plan week by week, but there prob was more embracing of it in the earlier weeks in the season (lots of offloads and lots of knock ons, but trying these things). Look at the contrast between some of the plays Kevin O'Byrne was involved with in early games vs Scannell, for example. And Rowntree got involved after the World Cup.

We've definitely seen changes from last season - PO'M's try last week showed glimpses of it, we had the disallowed try, and even this week Conway was unlucky not to get into the corner, stopped by some great / last ditch defence (and some great skip passes or floated passes) have been thrown (someone mentioned Zebo trying those Hollywood passes against Leinster in RDS and sending them into touch, but the skillset is more there this year).

We do need to play smarter at times though. Munster of old used to take the points at the right times for the most part. We've had a few drawn games we could/should have won in recent years and it's a little baffling that we didn't take the 3 points on offer at the weekend. I can, however, see that if we get 5/7 it's harder for Sarries to deny us a LBP by just getting near our goals and taking a drop goal...but the logical decision is take the 3.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They really make a great effort to try to stop people caring about the Pro14. The annual trading of wins between the provinces over the festive period remains ridiculous.

As long as ye throw the game on Saturday we're all good up here, thanks!

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »

Yes not to worry.

The IRFU has booked a win for Connacht in that game.

Has Flannery talked at all about the circumstances he left Munster under?

Anytime I've seen him commentate or on a podcast and Munster comes up there seems to be a bit of bitterness / frustration on display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

Anytime I've seen him commentate or on a podcast and Munster comes up there seems to be a bit of bitterness / frustration on display.

I thought the opposite, he seems to talk really well about his time there, thats hes fully supportive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

From a Pro 14 POV you'd hope the internationals would play against Connacht, being in same conference and all.

From a Champions Cup POV, You'd want them to play against Ulster so that they arent rusty against Racing the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Backrow could be stretched over the interpros

Botha suspended for another 2 games
    Beirne injury looked quite serious
    POM could miss few weeks

Stander and JOD will probably need their minutes managed

Will need the likes of Cloete and Tommy O'Donnell to play quite a bit.

An opportunity for Conor Oliver too

Could play Holland or Whycherly at blindside

Might see Gavin Coombes or Jack O'Sulliavn make an appearance or two

Josser was the best player by a long shot on the park in the A game, he’s munsters long term no8 should see him get a lot more gametime over Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We're short in the backrow with the injuries and Botha's suspension, but even still I'd be surprised to see Holland start at 6. I wonder could we see something like 6. TOD 7. Cloete 8. O'Sullivan?

Anything I listened to I would have said he was very open about it and no bitterness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Anything I listened to I would have said he was very open about it and no bitterness

I would agree with that and he is also very honest about the shortcomings that existed then and now in the team, Its quite refreshing. I think that Munster simply needed more experience and a change of perspective in the coaches. You have to remember that with VG Fla and Felix you had a very young coaching ticket. The two guys will be much better of going and getting the experience elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I heard he had to leave because of POM.

It's highly likely I made that up.

randomrb wrote: »
    I would agree with that and he is also very honest about the shortcomings that existed then and now in the team, Its quite refreshing. I think that Munster simply needed more experience and a change of perspective in the coaches. You have to remember that with VG Fla and Felix you had a very young coaching ticket. The two guys will be much better of going and getting the experience elsewhere

You would know him and Felix are very good mates.

It is very interesting, especially the point he made about Conway and just practicing to become the best catcher of high ball and how he can add on 50k to wages by doing it(please note not exact figures)

The comments about 7-9 international players in your starting 15 to win the HC was very interesting as well. I can't remember the exact numbers. I think it was 9......he seems fairly set on that number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to The42 the Irish Internationals have to be given a rest period of two consecutive weeks over the InterPros - this probably means we send a stronger team to Galway and Belfast with a weakened team playing in Thomond Park.

Genuine question are you on a wind up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

phog wrote: »
    According to The42 the Irish Internationals have to be given a rest period of two consecutive weeks over the InterPros - this probably means we send a stronger team to Galway and Belfast with a weakened team playing in Thomond Park.

I think it's two weeks of no training or games, so the guys who travelled to Japan can only play one game of the three. It's either Galway or Belfast but not both, obviously could be a mix-and-match, but you would hardly want your front liners going into a European game without a warm-up in 3 weeks.

Tadhg Beirne wasn't named in Ireland's meetup. Not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Tadhg Beirne wasn't named in Ireland's meetup. Not a good sign.

I don't think you are going to see Beirne on a pitch anytime soon

phog wrote: »

Genuine question are you on a wind up?

No? Where did I say a word about Peter O'Mahony?

I thought Fla had been fairly critical of Munster on a few occasions but judging by what others have said I guess he's just trying to be an even critic.

• Advertisement

No? Where did I say a word about Peter O'Mahony?

Nicely played ;)
    I thought Fla had been fairly critical of Munster on a few occasions but judging by what others have said I guess he's just trying to be an even critic.

I'd listen to the podcast that he's on every other week or so, and would have seen him as a pundit a fair few times this season and I can't say I've heard him say anything too critical.

As an aside tho, I find him to be one of the better pundits, often learn something new from listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I think it's two weeks of no training or games, so the guys who travelled to Japan can only play one game of the three. It's either Galway or Belfast but not both, obviously could be a mix-and-match, but you would hardly want your front liners going into a European game without a warm-up in 3 weeks.

I can't find anything online (officially) about that. It's going to do more harm than good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Doesnt sound ideal for Beirne and Ryan.
    Following on from Saturday’s game against Saracens at Allianz Park it has been confirmed that Captain Peter O’Mahony, who was ruled out during the warm-up, sustained a low grade adductor injury.

Tadhg Beirne sustained an ankle fracture in the opening ten minutes and requires surgery.

John Ryan left the field of play after 24 minutes with a calf strain, and the prop will undergo his rehabilitation with the medical department.

Winger Andrew Conway departed for a HIA in the second half, and will follow return to play protocols.

On a positive front, props Dave Kilcoyne (calf) and Jeremy Loughman (ankle) will return to squad training this week.

There was also no new injuries to report following the ‘A’ Interprovincial against Leinster A.

Continuing to rehab: Rhys Marshall (knee), Tyler Bleyendaal (neck), Joey Carbery (ankle), Ciaran Parker (calf), Darren Sweetnam (hamstring). https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/12/16/squad-update-180/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Another week with no update on Tyler...
    Worrying times for him

At least we have our loosehead props back. I assume the rest period won't apply to Kilcoyne who needs games as soon as possible.

I wonder if Loughman hadn't gotten injured, would he have been in Ireland squad contention.

This is a massive game as an in-conference matchup. You'd expect a few unenforced changes only. If internationals need two weeks off, then perhaps the likes of Earls or Stander could be held off until the Ravenhill trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Doesn't make for good reading. Glad to see our looseheads coming back into action, though Loughman must be sickened at the timing of his injury and recovery coinciding with Killer's.

Need Joey's name to appear in the "return to squad training" paragraphs very soon.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Earls and POM on holiday with their families so they won't be featuring this weekend anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Earls and POM on holiday with their families so they won't be featuring this weekend anyway.

Think most of internationals are due to be rested alright

Advertisement