Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Kevin O'Byrne - his situation probably depends on the development of Barron and Clarke.
    Dave Kilcoyne - One of the most important to retain.
    Liam O'Connor - Release. Development hindered by injuries, Loughman's recent form probably makes him surplus.
    Jeremy Loughman - Keep
    Stephen Archer - Keep, but with a view to developing Knox to take his spot.
    Brian Scott - Release
    Ciaran Parker - Release
    Billy Holland - Release. He's been a brilliant player but it's time to move on if he's not outright retiring anyway.
    Sean O'Connor - No idea, his situation depends on others.
    Darren O'Shea - Release
    Arno Botha - Release
    Conor Oliver - Release, pity about his injuries.
    Jack O'Sullivan - Keep, he looks great.

Jack Stafford - Release, four scrumhalves are already signed up.
    Sam Arnold - Release
    Dan Goggin - Keep
    Alex McHenry - No idea, his situation depends on others.
    Andrew Conway - See Kilcoyne!
    Liam Coombes - Keep
    Alan Tynan - Release, based on his lack of appearances.

Don’t see any problem with keeping seam O’Connor, boomer, Arnold and McHenry along with tynan, yeah they may not be starting or high quality players at the minute but if you look at how leinster have managed to keep the likes of Keenan, connors and the two O’Brien’s.. it’s fair to say them investments or faith in them has paid off in the long run and I think the lads mentioned above could turn out similarly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

All of 7 points separating 1st from 6th in Munster's conference.

It's 11 separating Leinster from Ulster in their one. 33 points between 1st and 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Kevin O'Byrne - his situation probably depends on the development of Barron and Clarke.
    Liam O'Connor - Release. Development hindered by injuries, Loughman's recent form probably makes him surplus.
    Jeremy Loughman - Keep
    Brian Scott - Release
    Ciaran Parker - Release
    Billy Holland - Release. He's been a brilliant player but it's time to move on if he's not outright retiring anyway.
    Darren O'Shea - Release
    Arno Botha - Release

Sam Arnold - Release
    Dan Goggin - Keep
    Liam Coombes - Keep

Release Holland? Are you mad? Like bent at Leinster totally undervalued in some quarters.

Those front 5 forwards keep you top of the league during the Nov international window and 6 nation's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Release Holland? Are you mad? Like bent at Leinster totally undervalued in some quarters.

Those front 5 forwards keep you top of the league during the Nov international window and 6 nation's

Munster are linked with RG Snyman. So somebody must be leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Sean O Connor is not getting a look in! He could develop at Connacht or Ulster?
    Arnold should be retained, he is a good player, when healthy.
    Conway must be retained! Bump him up to a central contract.
    Darren O Shea, is just not very good! He will be released.
    Holland could be signed for fairly short money?
    Loughman should be retained. Archer also!
    Liam O Connor should also be retained. He's a good prospect!
    Botha will be released. Time for O Sullivan to step up!
    Conor Oliver will be released. Could be picked up by another province.
    I don't see too many released. 4 or 5 maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

FrannoFan wrote: »

Holland is fantastic. If Snyman signs however then is there a need for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I thought Holland said it was his last season? Or maybe I just imagined that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Jeremy Loughman - Keep
    Brian Scott - Release
    Ciaran Parker - Release
    Darren O'Shea - Release
    Arno Botha - Release

Sam Arnold - Release
    Dan Goggin - Keep
    Liam Coombes - Keep

Kevin O'Byrne - Keep, probably 2nd choice hooker now
    Dave Kilcoyne - Keep
    Liam O'Connor - Probably 4th choice, I'd like to keep, but understand if not
    Jeremy Loughman - Keep
    Stephen Archer - Keep
    Brian Scott - Release
    Ciaran Parker - Release
    Billy Holland - Keep on a one year contract,
    Sean O'Connor - Release
    Darren O'Shea - Release
    Arno Botha - Release, time for Coombes and Jack O'Sullivan
    Conor Oliver - Release
    Jack O'Sullivan - Keep

Jack Stafford - unsure
    Sam Arnold - unsure
    Dan Goggin - unsure
    Alex McHenry - unsure
    Andrew Conway - Keep
    Liam Coombes - Keep
    Alan Tynan - unsure

Carbery to start next week so in Ravenhill. Maybe Munster could finally break their duck, that ground has become a graveyard for the usual second string we (are forced) to send. Since Murray, Earls and Conway (RTTP aside) didn't play against Connacht, I imagine they will be available. 3 weeks off seems excessive bar injury. Kleyn, Stander and Farrell played in Galway so they definitely won't be available.

Edit: A google tells me Munster won there in October 2016, I can't say I remember that game!

Botha will be back from suspension too. Missed his bulk vs Leinster

Niall Scannell and POM (injury premitting) should be available

KOB is being assessed for an ankle injury, with Marshall out too we are down to Scannell and Barron.

Holland is due a rest having played every minute of the last 4 games and is a likely starter vs Racing, so a possible 2nd row of Wycherley and DO'S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Thought Arnold was excellent last night. Good lines and excellent in defense.

Really think he should be kept.

Goggin no question in my mind keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Carbery to start next week so in Ravenhill. Maybe Munster could finally break their duck, that ground has become a graveyard for the usual second string we (are forced) to send. Since Murray, Earls and Conway (RTTP aside) didn't play against Connacht, I imagine they will be available. 3 weeks off seems excessive bar injury. Kleyn, Stander and Farrell played in Galway so they definitely won't be available.

Edit: A google tells me Munster won there in October 2016, I can't say I remember that game!

Should be two full strength sides going head to head...I hope so anyway. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Sean O Connor is not getting a look in! He could develop at Connacht or Ulster?
    Arnold should be retained, he is a good player, when healthy.
    Conway must be retained! Bump him up to a central contract.
    Darren O Shea, is just not very good! He will be released.
    Holland could be signed for fairly short money?
    Loughman should be retained. Archer also!
    Liam O Connor should also be retained. He's a good prospect!
    Botha will be released. Time for O Sullivan to step up!
    Conor Oliver will be released. Could be picked up by another province.
    I don't see too many released. 4 or 5 maybe.
    there will be fair few released. More than 4 or 5. A lot just aren't getting game time or good enough to be kept. Wht would you keep them?
    Sean O Connor wont go anywhere if not kept on by Munster. Connacht/Ulster dont need him.
    I wouldn't keep Arnold. Better use of other players and he has had so many injury breaks.
    Conway isnt going to get a central contract. He isnt anywhere near one of them especially when they aren't as widely used as they were in past.

there will be fair few released. More than 4 or 5. A lot just aren't getting game time or good enough to be kept. Wht would you keep them?
    Sean O Connor wont go anywhere if not kept on by Munster. Connacht/Ulster dont need him.
    I wouldn't keep Arnold. Better use of other players and he has had so many injury breaks.
    Conway isnt going to get a central contract. He isnt anywhere near one of them especially when they aren't as widely used as they were in past.

Arnold was in Irish camp this time last year there’s no way he’s being released he’s second choice 13 and that doesn’t chance regardless if DDA signs or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sam Arnold is a great player, he was excellent a few years ago, I remember a game v Toulon where he fronted up against Nonu and Bastereau, brave as a lion, he is what 23? fully irish capped. Because he gets a few injuries you want to release him? Loyal or what? Send him up to Galway if you are finished with him, would go great alongside Bundee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Arnold was in Irish camp this time last year there’s no way he’s being released he’s second choice 13 and that doesn’t chance regardless if DDA signs or not

Finances may dictate who stays/goes if there is TWO RWC winning boks signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Sam Arnold is a great player, he was excellent a few years ago, I remember a game v Toulon where he fronted up against Nonu and Bastereau, brave as a lion, he is what 23? fully irish capped. Because he gets a few injuries you want to release him? Loyal or what? Send him up to Galway if you are finished with him, would go great alongside Bundee.
    he has had few injuries there is some very good young guys in set up and if Munster are signing these Springboks then it makes lot of sense to get rid of him.

he has had few injuries there is some very good young guys in set up and if Munster are signing these Springboks then it makes lot of sense to get rid of him.

No problem Sheep, as I said previously, just wrap him up carefully and send him to Galway...... huge injury crisis here and a 23 year old international would do just grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Alistair Colossal Sonar

Did we ever get official confirmation on the two boks? Last I heard was advanced negotiations

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are poor connacht always the soft bed for provincial rejects?
    They should be setting their sights higher

Did we ever get official confirmation on the two boks? Last I heard was advanced negotiations

Nope, Munster confirmed they were in discussion but that's about it. If it's confirmed we would hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Eod100 wrote: »
    Nope, Munster confirmed they were in discussion but that's about it. If it's confirmed we would hear

They are signed but it won't be announced officially until their deals in Japan are ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

sydthebeat wrote: »

As opposed to who? Players who haven’t made it at Leinster are common at other provinces. Basic demographics.

sydthebeat wrote: »

No, that would include Munster and Ulster as well, do you want me to list the Leinster rejects in your squad horse? You should definitely be setting your sights higher, with the history of your great province, the amount of schools and clubs that you have. Mind you we do provide a home for some of the lads that you reject, so if (as lots are suggesting on your board here) you no longer want young Arnold, absolutely send him up. I would not class him as a reject at all. As I was pointing out, 23 years old, fully capped, no problem. He would be a player that the IRFU should not want to go abroad. I would class it as giving him a chance to play and improve our team, it is setting sights higher, he is a class young player. I only mentioned it as the majority of you do not seem to want him.

Thanks for letting us poor Connacht people share the same island as you, we are all mighty grateful

They are signed but it won't be announced officially until their deals in Japan are ending.

Isn't that the point though, that it's not official until it's been confirmed?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Isn't that the point though, that it's not official until it's been confirmed?

It hasn't been confirmed by the club, but the club took the unusual step of announcing on the website that they were in talks with the players.

Not sure I've seen that before

I’d agree if there was a 13 in the Munster academy ripping down trees but there isn’t.. reality is either scannell or goggin will have to go for DDA not Arnold especially with their ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    No, that would include Munster and Ulster as well, do you want me to list the Leinster rejects in your squad horse? You should definitely be setting your sights higher, with the history of your great province, the amount of schools and clubs that you have. Mind you we do provide a home for some of the lads that you reject, so if (as lots are suggesting on your board here) you no longer want young Arnold, absolutely send him up. I would not class him as a reject at all. As I was pointing out, 23 years old, fully capped, no problem. He would be a player that the IRFU should not want to go abroad. I would class it as giving him a chance to play and improve our team, it is setting sights higher, he is a class young player. I only mentioned it as the majority of you do not seem to want him.

Thanks for letting us poor Connacht people share the same island as you, we are all mighty grateful

Why are you assuming that poster was a Munster fan instead of a Leinster fan?

Also, I would think the majority of Munster supporters don't want to get rid of Arnold, he is a great prospect, just unlucky to be stuck behind Rory Scannell and Chris Farrell and has been injured a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Lucas44 wrote: »
    I’d agree if there was a 13 in the Munster academy ripping down trees but there isn’t.. reality is either scannell or goggin will have to go for DDA not Arnold especially with their ages

There’s Sean French. Comes in as a developing youngster with a lot of promise. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him feature in the coming seasons in the full first team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Jeremy Loughman - Keep
    Brian Scott - Release
    Ciaran Parker - Release
    Darren O'Shea - Release
    Arno Botha - Release

Sam Arnold - Release
    Dan Goggin - Keep
    Liam Coombes - Keep

Would think we'd need to keep one of Scott or Parker, and one of O'Shea or O'Connor even if signing Snyman, and would hope we'd keep Arnold and Goggin before keeping McHenry.

My guess is:
    Liam O'Connor will be released and not replaced
    Brian Scott will be replaced by Knox
    Billy Holland will be replaced by Snyman
    Arno Botha will be replaced by O'Sullivan
    Conor Oliver will be released and not replaced
    Jack Stafford will be released after Academy
    Alex McHenry will be released after Academy
    Alan Tynan will be released after Academy

So the squad might be smaller by 2 spots next season, now 43 senior players, next season 41 senior players.
    We badly need a tight-head prop for the Academy next season, in every other position there looks to be plenty of talent coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

There is no way that Liam O'Connor is being released at the end of the season barring a career ending injury.
    Darren O'Shea and Sammy Arnold are very much under pressure to hold their contracts. Holland is likely to be held onto to give some experience for international windows.
    Sean O'Connor and Conor Oliver also struggling to hold on.
    One of Parker or Scott likely to go as well.

Advertisement