Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Might be 40000 people there so that really doesn't make much difference.

Approaching 35,000 at the moment apparently. Not bad to have close to half the attendance as away fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Of course the crowd makes a difference, if it didn't you wouldn't see home records like Munster's unbeaten since 2017 or something. Or something only 3 losses in the Heineken Cup at home since it began.

You don't see many teams with extended, long, unbeaten away streaks like that.

It's probably not quantifiable or measurable but crowds influence players and referees positively and negatively throughout games, usually in their own favour

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Looking to get a ticket to this but not much seats left online. Surely it isn't nearly sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Looking to get a ticket to this but not much seats left online. Surely it isn't nearly sold out?

Think Some sections haven't been opened for sales still

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Think Some sections haven't been opened for sales still
    When do you think they'll be opened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

When do you think they'll be opened?

Possibly not at all, possibly only for walk ups tomorrow.
    Either way the sections not opened (if there is still some not opened) will be worse then the ones already opened.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

leakyboots wrote:
    Of course the crowd makes a difference, if it didn't you wouldn't see home records like Munster's unbeaten since 2017 or something. Or something only 3 losses in the Heineken Cup at home since it began.

Home advantage is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just getting ready to board flight to Edinburgh. Looking forward to the weekend ahead as I’m staying till Sunday evening too. Great city and expecting a very good atmosphere once again.

I’d like to think we have a super open exciting game but I highly doubt it will happen. This is going to be a forward battle. Going to be a very tight game with only a score between the teams. I’m hopeful our greater experience will just squeeze us through to the next round.

Safe journey to everyone and see yee in the pub!!! SUAF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Three of us heading up on the train from Newcastle tomorrow morning. Expecting a sea of red inside Murrayfield tomorrow to cheer the lads on.

Safe travels everyone. See you in Edinburgh. SUAF!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Of the away quarter finalists I think we probably have the easiest opposition but that doesn't mean Edinburgh will be an easy task and anyone at the Aviva v Saracens will know a home crowd guarantees nothing.

The issues for me is how our key players performed during the 6Ns, play like that tomorrow and I think Edinburgh will win but if we play to our strengths and start from the kick-off then we can win.

I'm nervous but hopeful - the main thing for me is I want to see us put in a performance.

• Advertisement

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Goggin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Delighted for Jack O'Donoghue.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Goggin

Joey starts - hope he's fit and great to see Jacko get a starting place, he deserves it, worked his socks off to return from injury and has put in a few good performances since his return.

Safe travels to anyone headed over, should be a cracking game hopefully! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Munster's defence is their point of difference, but I'm still not sure they'd have much of a chance against Sarries. Would they be better off resting a few in the Heineken semi and focusing on the Pro12? That's probably a more realistic target, and finishing top of the conference could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Munster's defence is their point of difference, but I'm still not sure they'd have much of a chance against Sarries. Would they be better off resting a few in the Heineken semi and focusing on the Pro12? That's probably a more realistic target, and finishing top of the conference could make all the difference.

I see you're back from your ban with your usual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

I'm 100% with you on this. They should definitely not even bother with the cost of the flights to Coventry that weekend and save some money as well. They should send over the under 11s via ferry as it's during the Easter holidays and they need to be blooding more youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'm 100% with you on this. They should definitely not even bother with the cost of the flights to Coventry that weekend and save some money as well. They should send over the under 11s via ferry as it's during the Easter holidays and they need to be blooding more youngsters.

That's certainly true. The stats from the recent Demented Mole article are shocking https://dementedmole.com/2018/12/29/maintaining-a-lean-squad/

I wonder did Munster's attitude to bringing through young players contribute to Matt More deciding to head home to South Africa? He didn't want to be kicking his heels and waiting till he was 24 or 25 for a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

That's certainly true. The stats from the recent Demented Mole article are shocking https://dementedmole.com/2018/12/29/maintaining-a-lean-squad/

I wonder did Munster's attitude to bringing through young players contribute to Matt More deciding to head home to South Africa? He didn't want to be kicking his heels and waiting till he was 24 or 25 for a shot.

Oh great another Trolling Mole fan.

Great win on Saturday but at a cost - 3 players off injured before halftime, hopefully, today's squad update will have good news on them.

Straight back to Pro14 on Friday evening with an all important game v Cardiff in Cork, unfortunately our loss to Scarlets mean we now need to be targetting 5 pointers from here on and Cardiff are still in the hunt for a Top 3 place too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I guess Munster will heavily rotate for Friday night instead of the following week. Cardiff on the 4G pitch will be tricky but Benetton away is a tougher fixture, only Leinster and Ulster have won there in the league this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I guess Munster will heavily rotate for Friday night instead of the following week. Cardiff on the 4G pitch will be tricky but Benetton away is a tougher fixture, only Leinster and Ulster have won there in the league this season.

I don't think we can afford to rotate heavily if we want to overtake Glasgow. Some rotation will happen, but I'd expect strong sides for both games. With no summer tour this year, there's also more lee way to continue to play the internationals.

I don't think we can afford to rotate heavily if we want to overtake Glasgow. Some rotation will happen, but I'd expect strong sides for both games. With no summer tour this year, there's also more lee way to continue to play the internationals.

Well if Munster are forced to rotate, I'm much rather it happened in the Cardiff game. Benetton away is an ambush waiting to happen if Munster don't send close to the first choice 23.
    The good news is Glasgow's run in is tough. Ulster at home this weekend, Leinster away next. They then finish at home to Edinburgh who have already won in Glasgow around Christmas.

Well if Munster are forced to rotate, I'm much rather it happened in the Cardiff game. Benetton away is an ambush waiting to happen if Munster don't send close to the first choice 23.
    The good news is Glasgow's run in is tough. Ulster at home this weekend, Leinster away next. They then finish at home to Edinburgh who have already won in Glasgow around Christmas.

My point is that our run in is also tough and Cardiff are also good and if we send out the second string we could easily lose that match. We can't afford to rotate heavily.

Not much news in today update. Fingers crossed on Carbery.

Jack O’Donoghue failed a HIA and will follow the graded return to play protocols. Joey Carbery has a left hamstring injury and will be assessed further by the medical department today.

Following Saturday’s Champions Cup quarter-final win in Edinburgh, Munster Rugby’s Medical Department have issued the below update.

Jack O’Donoghue failed a HIA and will follow the graded return to play protocols. Joey Carbery has a left hamstring injury and will be assessed further by the medical department today.

The following players are progressing with rehabilitation: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg), Tommy O’Donnell (shoulder).

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/04/01/squad-update-pre-cardiff-blues/

I'd go for:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Archer, Kleyn, Holland, POM, Cloete, Botha;
    Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Conway, Scannell, Farrell, Sweetnam, Haley

Marshall, Loughman, Ryan, Wycherley, Stander, Murray, Johnston, Goggin

Injured: Scott, Cronin, TOD, JOD (tbc), Carbery (tbc)

Since Stander played 80 minutes against Zebre and Edinburgh I don't think he'll start this one.
    The injury list is remarkably short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Some.news about the development in Independent Park ( Musgrave )

Thanks to The Echo;

01.04.2019 20:58

An image of the proposed new facility at Musgrave Park.

Munster Rugby: Musgrave Park redevelopment will benefit all

Gráinne McGuinness

MUNSTER Rugby says a planned multi-million euro upgrade of facilities at Musgrave Park will be of benefit to the surrounding community as well as their own players.

Last month, Cork City Council granted planning permission to the IRFU Munster branch for a significant development at the Tramore Road stadium.

It will involve the construction of a substantial indoor training facility, which will contain a large synthetic pitch. The building will also house dressing rooms, treatment rooms and a 3,000 square foot weights rooms and gymnasium.

The plans include a new single-storey ticketing booth and increased parking for both cars and buses.

It is estimated the project will cost more than €2.5 million and Munster Rugby hopes to receive a grant from the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport to help fund it.

“We are shovel-ready, we are waiting for the grants to come out,” a Munster Rugby spokesperson told The Echo. “It will be a four to six month project from when we turn the sod.”

The stadium is already in use by numerous local groups and the new facilities will also be made available to the community.

“The development will allow us to provide our players and members with state-of-the-art facilities in the future,” acting CEO Philip Quinn wrote in the planning application. “We also make our facilities available to local schools and community groups as necessary and view ourselves as an inclusive organisation who plays a key role in the community as a whole.”

“We are trying to look after our up-and-coming Munster stars and are also looking to reach out to the community,” the spokesperson added. “We have various groups and fitness classes on the main pitch from Monday to Friday night and we want to build on that.”

The new development will be accessed from the existing entrances at Pearse Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster could lose the next 2.

SOB flew to Dubai yesterday. Guessing others will have a few days off too. Repeat of last year's game v Benetton on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Connacht would much rather ye didn't rotate for the Cardiff game, thank you very much! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/MRSC16/status/1113081628933476352

Lottery open tomorrow for SF tickets. MRSC members only.

Advertisement