Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

can't see that happening as Healy is already signing 1 year deals.....

And Flannery and Johnson left in the last couple of years...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Thus having both Byrnes, Frawley and Crowley all at the same province?

Not sure who that would help. Not Crowley anyway.

Crowley isn't going to Leinster.

You can have Carbery back if you want another 10

Yeah that was stupid. We won that lineout. He effectively penalised Munster for a Connacht infringement

• Advertisement

The Connacht scrum was boring in for the entire game. It was basically the only thing they did well for the entire game, managing to play the ref and disrupt the Munster scrum.

It actually led to one of the Munster tries when prendergast slipped and Casey broke down his channel. Prendergast was driving so crooked that when he got up he was facing the wrong way

Surprised the two head contacts in direct succession that led to POM going off and failing his HIA weren't reviewed. Looked like red cards to me

And the one a few seconds before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Byrne Jr is perennially injured.

Frawley is in a similar situation to Crowley in that his provincial coaches appear to prefer him in a different position to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I doubt Crowley is preferred at 15. Haley was injured and its a 6-2 split. He covers both spots in that arrangement.

I wouldnt be surprised if crowley starts 10 next week.

It’s tough to put him right in above carbery as carbery is on big money and signed until 2024. Personally though, I’d do that.

It’s not at all analogous to Frawley. Leinster coaches obviously prefer him at 12. Most of his appearances at 10 were years ago. Crowley has mostly played 10 for munster. When he has played 15 its usually because he had to off the bench.

He’s 22 and right behind carbery at munster and ireland. It would be madness to move him to leinster and awful for irish rugby. Scooping up the best 10 prospect in years right after sexton leaves would be a kick in the teeth for munster.

• Advertisement

Its not one selection. Crowley was picked for ulster in front of healy as well. Its a trend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is a huge leap; they’re not remotely similar.

Crowley’s provincial coaches have been in place and had him available for 5 games.

Frawleys have been there for more seasons.

That's true. I suppose Crowley is in a better position now, getting minutes at 15. As opposed to last season when he couldn't get a game at all.

He’s playing games at 15 out of necessity with injuries elsewhere.

But if you’d like to have a wager, with the proceeds going to charity, on where he’ll start more games this season, I’d be happy to take the 10 side of that.

I'm not looking for a wager. What you're saying is pure speculation. We don't know where he'll play more games this season. I'm just going on the evidence we have thus far. Haley being injured doesn't mean Crowley must play 15. They have other options like Zebo, Daly, Campbell and Carbery. But Munster seem to like Crowley at 15 and prefer other players at 10. Maybe that will change, who knows.

You know he’s started one game at 10 and one at 15, this season.

You’re reading significantly more into one start than the other.

Yeah but against the Bulls and Connacht they've brought him on at 15 rather than 10. They could have shifted Carbery to 15 in both, but they clearly prefer him at 10 to Crowley.

Against Leinster they had the option of moving him to 10 as Campbell was on the bench. But they opted against it and gave Carbery the full 80 at 10.

All I'm saying is the Munster coaches don't seem too pushed to give him games at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Another way of saying that is they choose minimal disruption off the bench and choose the direct swap rather than shifting the team around.

Preferring Crowley at 15 to Carbery doesn’t mean they prefer Crowley at 15 than 10.

Didn't see this game live but watched it back today, after reading some of the comments and reports of the game. I don't really get the frustration with the referee - I thought he was a bit weak and indecisive (especially over the scrums in the 1H), but I didn't disagree with the big calls.

The Porch one was a clear yellow to me; he didn't just stand his ground, he put his hand out and tackled the guy. Similarly, Hodnett was clearly in the air when he's hit - it's a simple and obvious penalty.

I thought the decision to overturn the scrum penalty in the 1H because of the pushing and shoving was harsh, as he allowed a lot of niggle all day and after that without penalising it (example: Wycherley comes in and pushes Porch immediately after his hit on Carbery), but it wasn't that significant.

Both team's attacks looked relatively stagnant. It's been an issue for Connacht all season, and I think the Munster defence this year has been really really good. Casey impressed me again and I really like the look of Antoine Frisch. He's more physical than you'd expect, and has a lovely distribution game. Would be curious to see his top end speed, but he looks a good option for Ireland potentially in time.

Big bug bear of mine from a refereeing perspective on, and it happened against both sides: ref telling the scrum half to use it (when it clearly isn't yet out), and then allowing a player from the opposition to come around and play the scrum half. He was treating it the same as saying "ball is out" at a ruck, when it clearly isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The number if inches advanced by Connacht mauls once Edogbo was on the pitch.

God, exactly this. I’ve never heard a more nonsense argument. Coming on for an injured 15 doesn’t mean the coaching staff thinks you are a 15. What guff.

Plus when you consider their respective performances at 15 this season (Carbery was awful against Connacht in the Sportsground) it’s no great surprise.

I’d be shocked if he starts more games at 15 this season than 10.

You could set your clock by it at this stage…

The ref didn't get it wrong though. You're allowed to jump to catch a high pass. You're not allowed to tackle a player in the air

Crowley played 15 because Haley went off for a HIA and we had a 6-2 split on the bench.

If Haley didn't get injured Crowley probably would have come on for Carbery in the 4th quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some of the seagulls on this thread are rinse and repeat every f**king game, the sooner mammy switches off their internet on the the better.

Back to the game. I thought we had Connacht on the ropes for a lot of that game, ref was piss poor to both sides, he missed so much that it was annoying watching the game with him in charge. The intercept and their last try put a huge gloss on the game and gifted them a LBP, one they really didn't deserve.

Overall we have to be happy with a BP win, it was badly needed after our defeat in Galway.

I think Hodnet and Casey were outstanding in this game. Frisch was also incredibly impressive.

Salanoa added to his repitoire

Carbery was solid but not amazing

Beirne is always brilliant

Nash had a great game too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd agree with all your points and add that there was a lot of poor play from Munster that still needs to be ironed out, scrums not effective, lineouts missed but it is a massive improvement on the first 3 games of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Is first paragraph needed? Wouldnt that just attract more....

Ref is relatively new to the level. was poor but communication didnt help things at times but it says a lot that all you focus on is the negative and complain. it was a derby interpro and it was 5 points badly needed and ultimately thats the only thing that mattered.

Advertisement