Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Actions from both sides escalated the situation, like what always in similar instances when they boil over, be it on the rugby pitch, a playground, or a pub.

Everyone involved feels at that point in time that they were only responding to the actions of the others and they all have an argument. Given JODs laughing I would be surprised if he didn't do something purposefully to annoy the Northampton lads to start the whole thing and he was delighted to get the reaction - which is all part of the game that I and many wouldnt like to see go away.

Everyone is constantly walking the line in trying to annoy the other players and then they walk the line with their reactions.

Happy to agree to disagree, I just don't know how you see that as 'thuggery' and worthy of multiple reds and yellows and keep watching the sport, when all of that and far worse is relatively common place.

Happy to agree to disagree, I just don't know how you see that as 'thuggery' and worthy of multiple reds and yellows and keep watching the sport, when all of that and far worse is relatively common place.

What would you consider thuggery to be on a rugby pitch then, if not Ribbans pushing John Ryan down into the turf with his forearm across the guy's neck isn't?

By all means, go ahead there and produce a few examples from the multiple games played this weekend of that exact same thing happening a few times a game so if it's such a "commonplace" occurrence?

For my last time on this - I understand it was a scrap, I understand they happen, I understand players will push and shove and grab each other by the scruff of their shirt etc, this sort of stuff I would argue is relatively commonplace, but what goes beyond it is two guys holding one guy on the ground with a forearm across his throat, or another guy putting his hands into the same guy's face multiple times.

That stuff most definitely isn't "part of the game".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leinster will surely be resting Ringrose, so with Henshaw still out, I could see their midfield being Ngatai and either Frawley or Osbourne. I'd be happy enough with Crowley-Frisch taking that on, tbh.

Has to be the slowest 'dive down' on a player in history? The hyperbole here 🤣

As I stated already, I haven't seen where his arms are as they are blocked by the arm of the other players. I've already said I agree it is a red if there is any evidence of that.

As for communication from Ryan, did you watch the match with the volume down? Players scream about every minor things and nothing was mentioned to the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I thought there was a certain gouge on a Munster player. Very surprised it wasn't looked at.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lads s/he's thriving on the reaction s/he's getting.

You can almost here their excitement on the ref mic

No evidence to back up your hyperbolic claims so you resort to that.

Shows how far the boards has fallen when that is the quality of posting from a mod because they cant back up their own claims.

As I've said, he definitely left himself open to potentially being done for it.

Can see how it was missed/let go though, slow motion makes it look worse and he was being held by Ryan and was pushing away without visibility of where his hand was.

Will be interesting to see if he is cited.

I just hate the idea that your brave voyage into this shadowland of unbridled hyperbole might go unrewarded. So if you at least leave with some degree of grammatical improvement, your efforts won't entirely be in vain.

• Advertisement

Thriving on what?

I said people were going over the top on claims of how bad the instances were, with evidence to back up my point of view and asked others for theirs.

I've accepted some of the Northampton players could have been carded further but similarly some Munster players were lucky.

Not sure how it is that provocative.

Will also avoid spell/grammar checking you here like the mod did to me.

Great win. But that melee left a bad taste. Thought there could have been two reds.

Citation. Not expecting it, although one should be. Ref over all I thought was decent.

I'm usually wrong, but accidentally or not, I thought it was a no brainer red.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think that’s enough bickering. Move on.

If it was a no brainer red or if there is a complaint from Munster then he'll be cited (unless the latter isn't the case anymore due to a rule change).

If not, then the ref, the TMO, and those citing didn't agree with what seems to be the common opinion here. Similar thing with the Ribbans and whether he is cited and punished or not.

As I've said already, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong via a punishment through citing or additional evidence being provided of claims made here by some posters, though none has been forthcoming from my requests thus far.

Apologies to all those I offended by not fully agreeing with the full extreme of their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

A quote from Reeves and Mortimer from many years ago.

'You wouldn't let it lie would you'

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn’t see the mod warning prior to posting this, but for the avoidance of doubt, do not post on this topic again.

I’d be happy enough with that too. And if we had any defensive phases like we did yesterday, the crowd will be going bananas.

Beginning to look forward to this one, which I wouldn’t have said after the Dragons game.

Anyone else get the feeling yesterday that the attack seemed to take two very different approaches, in different phases of the first half. Early, it was very much on the ground, trying to exploit space out wide. Then in the latter half, Joey went far more to the air, predominantly down Nash's wing. Nice little shake-n-bake to mix it up. Idea might be to use the wide game initially to draw more defenders from the backfield up to the defensive line, then switch it up to hurt the isolated backs in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

When is John Ryan actually leaving us? Marked improvement in the scrum since he came back, we seem to be winning more penalties (no actual evidence mind, just what it appears to me)

• Advertisement

He's solid. Not too much around the park. Good lifter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Northampton were utterly dire, so, while i'm glad that Munster won, I'm confused by the positive tone of the today's reporting (or maybe disappointed by its dishonesty). I still have no idea why N'hampton weren't awarded a penalty try for Casey's insane tackle on Ramm in the air, haven't seen such a blatant PT in years. The ref looked lost for the fifty minutes I half watched (missed the ruckus), and I can well believe that he got calls wrong which cost Munster as well, it was a joke.

Did he not get a try recently? He's no Dan Sheehan or Porter in the loose but he's industrious. I think he's ahead of any others at the club currently still. Does the nuts and bolts very well. Would love to have seen him kept on, Salanoa and Knox still have a bit to go to overtake him.

I think Archer is done, great servant but he'll be a v Zebre type player until he finishes now.

Casey's one was a PT, no idea how it wasn't and haven't heard anyone else say otherwise. Their player lands a different way and it's a red.

That melee, I thought the ref handled it very poorly. Contact near the eye needed to be looked at further, two players holding John Ryan down looked dodgy and a pretty poor clearout by one of them launching himself into the group onto the ground. I'd have to watch it back but it didn't seem like they looked at it for very long.

Positive tone is because up until that we played quite well and our defence under the kosh was excellent. We spent most of the second half without our full complement of players. Even if NH were dire, I think a better team would have punished us but you can't fault them for effort.

I thought I heard one of the commentators saying we've the third best defence for tries conceded in the URC. There's a raft of stats on the URC website that have us missing nearly the most tackles, winning fewest turnovers, 11th and 12th for penalties conceded and scrum penalties conceded... I think as the season progresses you'll see all those improve as our form up to end-October was dire. We're a different team now in the past 6 weeks as things start to gel.

Toulouse was a big test, Leinster will be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I think Salanoa had quietly been emerging well in the background. I don't know if he will be the long term THP starter, but he has been doing well off the bench. He can scrummage and carry well. He is a good sub to bring on.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Munster kept them out, which was a meaningful psychological achievement, but were stuck in defense due to their own indiscipline - how many penalties did they concede on the trot in the last half an hour?

Anyway, I agree that things are looking up for Munster. I don't think this squad will win silverware for now, but with a couple of breakthroughs/smart acquisitions up front you will be competitive. In young players like Crowley, Hodnett, Edogbo, Ahern, Nash, Kendellen, the upside is massive and I look forward to Munster again producing an important slice of the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

Feels like a big game for Joey on Stephen's day. I'd say it's probably his best spell for form since his first season with us before he got the first of his injuries (that effectively kept him out for 2 years). Would love to see him putting in a quality shift.

Coombes as well you'd imagine will want to have a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not every team munster beat are bad teams, or play badly

Northhampton were a mid table Premiership side playing at home with a full strength selection (injuries aside)

They are the 2nd best attacking team in the premiership, and couldn't score a try against Munster.

(allthough I think they should have gotten that PT for Casey's intervention)

Munsters defense shut down Saint's attacking structure.

A good defense can make an attacking team look bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ryan is solid player coming to the end of his playing career. A decision was made to back the newer generation of players in Knox and Salanoa

I'm ok with this

Advertisement