Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

They've been comfortable enough going with 2 back-rows on the bench a couple of times too, so it also might end up being just Kleyn and McDonald, with Coombes providing the cover.

Very short there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think we were down to the bare bones a while back, its worse since

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

McDonald is a bit of a unit tbf, so I reckon as long as him and Coombes are there (whether the latter is at lock or 8), the maul defense will hopefully be in reasonable shape.

Would be great if Kleyn can be cleared to play though.

Assuming Hodnett and Loughmann are still rehabbing, that'd leave a likely pack of:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, McDonald, Kleyn, JOD, Kendellen, Coombes

Or if Kleyn is out, something like:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, McDonald, Coombes, JOD, Kendellen, Daly/O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Potentially enforced rest due to added playing time accumulated in Autumn Internationals: Tadhg Beirne, Peter O'Mahony

This isn't really accurate tbh.

POM didn't even play against Fiji and it was Munster's choice to play Beirne in every game since the tests.

If these guys are being rested, it's because Munster decided this was the game in which they'd be rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Team named:

Munster: Mike Haley; Shane Daly, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Keith Earls; Jack Crowley, Paddy Patterson; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Roman Salanoa; Jean Kleyn, Kiran McDonald; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Alex Kendellen, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Stephen Archer, Cian Hurley, Jack O’Sullivan, Conor Murray, Ben Healy, Patrick Campbell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Happy with that selection, plenty strong enough to put it up to Ulster and potentially get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Delighted to see Fekitoa back, it’s an exciting back line if we can get some go forward ball. Ulster have a very strong team named though, it will be a big ask.

I fear he is not going to get the run of games in a settled side that he might need to find his form and impress.

We have a habit of just expecting players like him to light up games without recognizing the disruption, lack of cohesion and new systems that are not always ideal.

Be good to see him score, it would help his confidence no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I think fekitoa and Frisch have the potential to be a cracking centre partnership. Power and a decent passing / offloading game

It looks a full strength ulster team playing at home. Tall order alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's a strong team, but missing Warwick, Herring, O'Toole, Al O'Connor, Timoney, Marcus Rea, Madigan and Lowry (not even really worth mentioning Addison at this point).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm primarily interested in the players' response to Monday night. When Rowntree was interviewed after the loss, he looked like someone who had just identified a relative at a morgue. It hurt him to his core. And I want to see (a) how he channels that emotional energy into getting a response out the players and (b) that the players are willing to go an extra few miles an hour, straight out of the gate, to help make right the wrong. That'll be a very promising sign that they are fully behind the project and have bought into his leadership. I am confident we'll see this, btw.

Is Carbery injured?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No mention in the squad update. Probably just being rested.

I believe he has played 5/5 in the current block of 9 games (where he can only play 7/9). Also a lot of those games were 80 minutes as Crowley was 10 cover and came on at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The rumour mill is a funny thing. I heard he could be back in the next 3-4 weeks.

Time will tell.

I'm happy for him to get as much time as needed. Imagine having him fit for the latter end of the season, game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

With crowley and carbery having jumped him in the pecking order you would hardly begrudge him the opportunity of regular first team starts and international possibilities.

The problem for munster is the lack of a 10 if crowley and carbery are in Irish camp which is likely, and thats not really going to sell the staying option to Healy is it, “come on ben, you are guaranteed to start a few games when joey and crowley are wearing green”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ben is just unlucky in that he signed two one year contracts and that he's renegotiating from a point where Carbery & Crowley are now ahead of him.

Munster have acknowledged they need him and have offered him a contract.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out for him.

Id love to see him stay or at the very least like to see him stay in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The replies to that tweet do not suggest that the Scots are particularly enthused about it.

Again, I just don't see how a move to Edinburgh benefits him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just wait til I get the hang of the ban feature. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

You probably are closer to this, but it didnt seem like those short contracts were the provinces choice but were Healy's decision. I just wonder does that lack of willingness to commit become a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Healy didnt seen to commit and so Munster kinda fell out of love with him. Couple that with Crowley emerging as a serious talent and the continued belief that Carbery is a quality starting 10 (I dont see it anymore). So now, we get to the stage that unless Munster are going to start giving him meaningful game time, he is right to move. The Ulster game is the perfect example. They are reinforcing the point that Healy is 3rd/4th choice. Hard to stick around in those circumstances, but possibly he brought it on himself.

The rumour at the time of the EI tour to SA was that Ben was the guy to go, Munster asked to keep him, Crowley was then selected to travel, Frawley got injured, Crowley got game time and grabbed his opportunity.

The rest is history.

And yes, those one year contracts were of Ben's doing but I doubt they've influenced Munster's view of him as a player.

Munster have what seems like the heir apparent and his back up to Sexton and giving them game time while trying to keep Ben happy isn't easy.

Remember, a lot of Crowley's game time since the EI tour has been at 15 or 12, so he was always going to get a start at 10 when Joey wasn't available. That's not really a reflection on Ben, it's just where we are right now.

Whatever about the fans, those that matter seem to want him.

I'd urge caution to Healy.

He is a tidy young player with potential but he is not an international level player yet.

If a Scottish team is offering a salary suitable for an international that's one thing but if he being offered a middling salary to get into the Scottish system for the future where he will be picking up a single warm up cap and playing URC for the next few years till he develops that's another.

Well some of the rumours are it's the national coach that's driving it.

What salary he'd on is another thing but if the national coach has any interest in him then that surely counts for more that less than 7 fans on Twitter

If he goes onto leave for Scotland I hope he is on an international level salary.

I could see the national coach liking the look at him for a few seasons down the road and him being told look you are in our plans.

You know Internationals get five figures a cap in appearance bonuses and success bonuses.

Well, reading between the lines, Munster have offered him as much as they/IRFU have allowed so it's up to him to weigh up what's best for himself and hopefully it works out for him.

I'm surprised the IRFU aren't looking to move him to another province to get more game time, mind you, maybe they have and he's thinking it's Munster or abroad. Which to me is a shame as no matter how good he becomes his value drops here in Ireland if he gets capped in Scotland

• Advertisement

A shocking first half from Munster, but have at least started the second half with a bit of life

Advertisement