Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Great win in bad conditions, very consistent performance and great to see to get the tbp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Agreed Denis Leamy is having a great year in coaching the defense. Munster have the second best defense in league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

And gave a pen for sealing off. Fair play. It’s one of the most ignored penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Add a few decent players and we'll be motoring

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

5 losses and 2 wins prior to the SA game.

5 wins and 2 losses after. (And those losses, one score losses to Toulouse and Leinster).

Pretty massive turning point in our season.

Yeah really seemed to give the team momentum and belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This was the crucial moment in that game. If Buckley got YC'd, Munster would have been down to 13 at the next scrum as we had no more hookers left

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah.

New world rugby guidelines came in this week. One of the instructions was that the TMO shouldn't interrupt play unless there was a clear and obvious error by the referee that matters (I'm reading that as if the TMO isn't sure if its a card or not they shut up).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Oh. I did see the ref ask the TMO to look at potential head contact, but then left the play continue anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Very happy with that performance

Extremely encouraging from a team playing in those conditions with a lot of rotation and disruption early on.

Munster were relentless in both attack and defence and we made that pay on the scoreboard in the 2nd half when the Lions were out on their feet, the space opened up.

I hope Kleyn went off as a tactical decision rather than an injury. That guy is in the Munster hall of fame and we desperately need him to stay fit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think that was part of the speed up the game. The TMO can look at something without stopping the game for 2 or 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Great performance in many respects but still some aspects missing from our attack which can be down to conditions and some new combinations, players coming back.

Their breakdown pilar defense was terrible for a lot of the game, led to 2 trys and there were a few more opportunities to attack there that were not taken.

Leamy must be smiling tonight, his work is paying dividends.

What was missing is the decisive run at times, the half break with a good support runner, we are still at times passing for the sake of it without fixing a defender and just going through the motions.

Healy a few times during the game goes quiet and hes not controlling things, not organising the attack, identifying opportunity or threats and just shovels the ball out.

I cant for the life of me see why leinster wanted nick mccarthy back instead of keeping patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fantastic result in what was a fairly miserable night. Aside from the scrum I think we had the upper hand everywhere else though I reckon ref got a few scrum calls wrong. Crazy that she penalised the last sealing off having ignored it a few times during the game.

I hope it's ok for a Munster fan to praise Ben on a Munster match thread without attracting seagulls but he was close to my motm.

One scrum penalty that went against us that I thought was harsh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Great result and the big thing was the handling of the ball by all Munster players in such condition, also you see the coaching coming through in the players which is what we all should want to see for the betterment of MunsTer. Onwards and upwards Hayley was great tonight again

On the decisive runs, add Casey, Crowley and Frisch into that backline and that becomes a proper threat, Coombes carries to open space, Casey whips it to Crowley and Frisch does some magic.

Thought Scannell had a solid enough game, didn't do an awful lot with the ball in hand but his defence was good, not enough to get him the start next week though.

Liam Coombes try reminded me of a guy (Pa Kelly, I think) who used to play Gaelic football with Limerick and a bit of rugby with Shannon, he'd pin back the ears and run. It was also a bit Iike Andrew Conway did in a Heineken Cup game in Thomond Park a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A very satisfying bit of business this evening.

Once again a very impressive crowd in Cork, braving some absolutely shocking weather.

Story of the night has to be Hodnett's carrying. In attack, I don't want to see him inside the 15m line. Ever. Just get the ball out to him and watch men desperately swipe at his disappearing shadow. Great awareness and hands too, always looking for offloads.

Main narrative going into the game was Healy, who was a bit meh in the first half, but came into it more as the weather improved in the second half. A comprehensive win, with him not really shining, is probably the perfect outcome, i.e., a good win, and nothing for the media to get too whipped up over regarding his departure. Hopefully they'll move on.

Usual suspects also mostly fired this evening - Coombes, Kleyn, Haley, Daly, JOD. Kendellen also had a very strong performance.

Massive shout out to the massive tight-head prop for Lions, <consults Google> Ntlabakanye. I counted at least 6 penalties attributable to him, including his jackal. Now, he was also almost certainly at fault for Patterson's try, but he's only 23. Slim him down a bit and who knows what the future might hold for him. May have just been the underpowered Munster scrum, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the Lions set pieces gong forward. Some man to put 65 minutes in as well. Did he fly economy?

And on that point, I'd hope Rowntree can use tonight as evidence that serious recruitment is needed in front-row depth. Shipping that many set piece penalties is a death sentence against even marginally better opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I doubt you’d be allowed two front row NIQs, so it might be hard to do too much reshuffling that is an actual major improvement .

Kelleher plus NIQ loosehead is a dream scenario i’d guess. Other than that, NIQ hooker plus ? IQ LHP seems realistic but i have no idea who that would be.

Edit: i will say that tonight’s front row plus edogbo with coombes in the back row prob has a better scrum showing. Even better with beirne in back row as well. I didnt see all of the game, but if your front row isnt dominant, you especially need that to come from the locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Coombes, Kleyn, Frisch and Haley have all really stepped up in the last few weeks.

Kleyn is quietly having the season of his life in the tight and the kick in the arse Coombes got has meant he's churned out massive performances. He can do it all, carries, lineout (offensive and defensive), jackals, nice hands.

Would love to see them rewarded with getting a look-in for 6N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Andy Farrell hasn't never seemed to be a fan of Coombes is the only issue. Maybe he lit a fire under him after his poor showing against the NZ XV in the autumn as he's been consistently excellent since. Certainly has the attributes to be 50 cap international if he gets his form right. The Irish back row is a very competitive place to be however. Maybe these few showings as a lock will help him, versatile players are always attractive come WC squad selection time.

That's a magnificent picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He redeemed his performance with a great score ( albeit it against some terrible defending but thats not his fault) what was probably most impressive was being able to make that run so late in an energy sapping game on your first outing in a good while.

His performance outside of that try was nothing to be writing home about, it showed his match sharpness was lacking and its hard to see him playing much in the next while.

For anyone that wasnt at the game or came late Zebo was the 24th man and judging by his sprints once the teams had completed their warn ups he will be available for next weekend.

Definitely, Liam was lacking some match sharpness but that try alone was worth the entrance fee.

Saw Zebo warming down and he looked ready for road again next week.

A few tough selection calls to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭theVersatile

6'8 second row Pa Kelly pinning the ears back running hahahahahah what a sight that would be.

Pa Ryan is the name you're reaching for a think, phog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Zebo has no place in a big match 23 at the moment. Nash, Daly are the starting wings for me. Wouldn't argue too much if earls was parachuted in ahead of one of them

Advertisement