Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

And that should tell you they haven’t got the squad depth to win either competition. And tbh even when their bok internationals have been available they haven’t been convincing either. It was great today in the hot conditions against a Munster team fixated on shooting themselves in the foot constantly but in the URC away to any of the top 4 they will lose and whoever they play in the next round in Europe they will lose to also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Or, it should tell you, when they have their internationals available in the knock-out rounds, they have the players to trouble any team.

It was possibly closer to a Springboks team today than the average Sharks URC team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

World class prop and tight head …..massive hole at 10 if joey dosnt regain form and Crowley still raw and likely to be on international duty ….need a solid back row second row cover too ……our problems get highlighted every year come knock out this year is no different …..lucky enough to see some great Munster days but we’re a long way off it at the minute

management team need time as there picking up the pieces from van gran era

In theory yes but in reality as history has shown that alone doesn’t win you competitions. It can get you to the L16 & QF but you need a strong overall squad to go all the way and I’m telling you that Sharks will be exposed soon enough.

Second row anyways, I think we’re pretty well stocked. Snyman, Beirne, Kleyn, Edogbo and Ahern.

Front-row has been the main problem going back 5-6 years now.

• Advertisement

That was a better and worse performance than the score suggested. Lapses in concentration cost Munster today and gave some very easy scores away. At the same time Sharks took the foot off the gas in the latter stages when the game was out of sight.

Wouldn't rule out either Salanoa or Knox yet. Salanoa isn't getting pulled into Ireland camp this early in his development for the craic of it.

Was impressed with Crowley today, despite the result that's a good game for him developmentally.

Back row struggled but realistically the entire pack were second to a degree in contact generally but particular at the breakdown. The back 5 are too Underpowered against an outfit like the Sharks and the team just don't have the attacking structure yet to mitigate. For all the talk of Coombes, I honestly think he's Munster's Rhys Ruddock, honest hard working player but just lacking those last few inches to make it as an international. An absolute dog, but like Kleyn (and despite his assist today) I think his hands and overall athleticism are shy of the mark.

I don't know. Sharks looks they've an extra gear and Munster pushed Toulouse awful close earlier in the season. Don't know how Leinster would have fared down there today to be honest, the killed Munster's ball and would do similar to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not having a go but I think that’s a lazy assessment of Coombs and is throwing Munster cliches at him rather than looking at his actual performances. To be honest it’s the lack of the “dog” that is the issue with him, he has no problem flinging a 40 yard pass, timing an offload perfectly or bursting through two tackles when Munster are humming and he feels like he has a point to prove, the problem is that he has tendency to disappear for long periods of games when his team is under the cosh.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

It will be Leinster v. Sharks in the semi and what a contest that will be. I think the Sharks will push them close as they pushed close at home earlier in the season minus their Springboks. I’m still going for a Leinster win, all the negativity in certain sections and the questionable policies doesn’t and shouldn’t detract from this organisation. It’s set up for a Leinster Heineken win this season with the final in the Aviva.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Knox and Salonoa are decent young props and really look like with another 50 games under their belts they could well be decent finished product props.

Breaking is a new prop is usually a painful process (some special talents don't have that problem [Healy, Porter, Furlong] but the majority do).

Munster are struggling because they have to break in 2 tight head props at the same time and their 3rd choice loosehead is at the same stage of development (and has featured 15 times this season due to injuries to Loughman and Kilcoyne).

Just specifically on the point about Coombes hands, I really disagree and tbh, and wouldn’t be far off snotboogie’s view.

He’s thrown some brilliant assists / passes this season, like today, the try for Liam Coombes in the Aviva and for that try in Toulouse, just off the top of my head. That’s before mentioning his offloading. I’m not sure Rhys Ruddock has anywhere near that level of handling.

• Advertisement

One positive that was noticeable today was Snyman’s ability to get his hands free for an offload. Could be huge for us to keep the tempo up that we’ll need against teams with the bulk of the Sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Thought Hodnett was off the pace physically today, did some good stuff in the loose but didn't have the impact needed in the tight exchanges.

The pack actually looked under powered today, and when they came out at halftime they looked shattered, lots for Rowntree to fix and a few lads need to be sidelined next year.

Beirne would have made a difference today, don't think he would have turned the game though.

Sharks won’t get within 20 points of Leinster at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster have been taken to the cleaners at the breakdown in consecutive games and it has led to losses on both games. I don't know if it's a coaching issue or a personnel one but either way the backrow needs to be far more involved than they have been.

People said similar about the Bulls last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yup, really have been blown away, similar to what was happening at the start of the season, that was turned around so hopefully it can be again.

Was pleased with RG even though he tried to force it a bit, Beirne and RG in the same side next season could be amazing.

You aren't having a go - you're just disagreeing which is fine. I think a Coombes that's a bit quicker off the mark, off the ground and has a better range of passes and timing off both sides is a regular Irish international. I think he's shown up well in arm wrestles plenty of times and I don't think it's a lack of effort in these games, but when Munster are on the back foot he doesn't have the scramble and when contact isn't on his terms he (and a lot of the Munster pack) are technically second best too often, leading to fast opposition ball and compounding the issues for a pack that isn't mobile enough. You can be big and somewhat immobile pack or a mobile and not overly heavy pack but if you're neither then you have a problem. I rate Hodnett, Combes and POM individually but I don't think it's a balanced backrow. You would need a David Wallace style player at openside for that to work imo.

I don't think he has top class pace for an 8 so having a bit more variety in his game before contact would go a long way - but he's reminiscent of Stander in that while he can pass, it's not a strength of his game nor does he create any doubt for defenders. Stander to be fair rounded out his game before he retired, hopefully Coombes can do the same.

Pitch being in terrible condition was the main issue for the first Sharks try today, Frisch not at fault at all for the turf disintegrating beneath him, but everything after that was pressure and power. Can't fault the effort, just too many players not at the required level and a few underperformances and lapses in concentration.

Sharks look very much like a championship team.

Don't agree at all - they look like a team that are switching on when it counts and a lot of those players will be looking to hit form at the right time for the tri-nations.

Leinster got a lesson last year from the SA teams, am hoping it was learned.

I think Standers handling occasionally got unfair criticism, but I’d still rate Coombe’s as much, much better.

For me, I think the area Coombes suffers in comparison to CJ is his tackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Hate seeing posters saying certain players should be sacked. I know this is just frustration during a match, but players deserve better. Archer, in particular, is a great servant to Munster rugby, and approaching the highest number of appearances (just behind DO’C I think). So, he must be doing and has been doing something right through all those coaches. Coaches are another matter and Leamy needs to up his game, but even then, calling for sackings is a bit OTT.

Also, maybe everyone has too high an expectation of Munster rugby. They haven’t won the Heineken cup since 08 and you could argue they were lucky to get two. Leinster hadn’t , by their own admission, got their act together by then. The French teams, especially away from home, couldn’t be arsed by and large. All changed now, of course. I think Munster have reached their level. Getting out of the pool stages, and competitive, but unlikely to win, the URC. That’s it. Good, honest players, trying their best every game. The other teams have got stronger.

is that good enough? No idea. Don’t know the ins and outs of finance in Munster to judge. But, I can’t see it changing any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I don't think he's the right guy for the job to be honest...not looking good for him

They had the bulk of their Springboks last week when they were comfortably beaten by a decidedly average Scarlets side.

And one game does not a season make. They have the players to trouble any team.

Yeah they obviously do, especially at home.

Id imagine they’ll be somewhat frustrated themselves today with a lot of their defending too.

Hendrikse looked to have dislocated his shoulder so is presumably done for a while. If Etzebeth is out for (presumably) Toulouse next week it would be probably insurmountable.

They’ll benefit from continuity of selection from now to the end of the season. I posted this earlier:

Etzebeth has started 3 URC games all season. Mapimpi has started 4. Kolisi has started 2. Mbonami 3. Ox Nche 4. Am 3. And so on.

Etzebeth injury obviously a big loss if he misses any games, but the rest could double their URC starts between now and the end of the knock-out stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,265 ✭✭✭✭phog

I didn't see the game yet, I didn't think we'd win down there today but I also didn't expect us to concede 50 points. Scoring 35 points away from home is excellent but worthless when you concede 50, defence is now an issue that needs to be resolved before our next trip to SA.

Even the 35 scored was flattering tbh, phog, 21 of those scored when the game was essentially over…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I still haven't seen the game either.

Florugby.tv, more than once, have completely sh*t the bed on getting replays up on their site.

And you got that based on what, One game. They have the look of a side who can win a game against a side with no breakdown. Thrr we y still aren’t a great side and as soon as they go north that will be exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Loughman looks like the coming player for Ireland at loosehead, and there's Ryan returning next season at tighthead (albeit he can't have too long left at the very top). Two good players there.

Advertisement