Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You'd have to say, both this season and last, the S&C coaches deserve credit for getting the best out of him at the right time of the season. Often previously much maligned, but he's been great the last 2 seasons.

POM, Murr and Earls were the obvious guys that you'd be delighted for with last year's win, but Archer well up there on that list for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

This was some achievement of Archer’s from that announcement:

“Archer started last season’s URC quarter-final, semi-final and final as Munster clinched the title, also playing back-to-back 80 minutes away to Stormers and Sharks in the final rounds of the regular season.”

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭letowski

Rumours were signing Thaakir Abrahams. Planet Rugby have an article on it anyway. I remember him playing against Leinster last season, scored a good try iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's mentioned on MFs too but not sure how reliable it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

As has Kinsella

https://x.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1795168587017023563?t=nLHXFCqz96Ts6nycB8Lz_g&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭nerd69

Good signening considering we cant reslly sign anyone elsewhere. Plenty of upside and youd trust the coaches to get the best out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Joey Carbery, John Hodnett and Peter O’Mahony as they all return to training this week.

Mike Haley is completing the return to play protocols and on track to return this week.

Antoine Frisch had a scan on a leg injury last week and his availability will be determined later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Frisch and Nankivell both being missing could be disastrous. Those guys are so critical to our attack.

Scannell and O'Brien have big boots to fill.

• Advertisement

Definitely, losing both Nankivell & Frisch for these run of games is disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Round 18 Match Officials Announcement

Munster v Ulster

Thomond Park, Limerick – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA & SA

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 86th league game)

AR 1: Robbie Jenkinson (IRFU)  AR 2: Andrew Fogarty (IRFU)

TMO: Andrew Brace (IRFU)

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/match-officials/round-18-match-officials-announcement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd say Frisch will be fine. From that statement it sounds like he went for a scan and it came back clear, so they're just giving him more recovery time.

I'd be concerned if we're without both Nankivell and Frisch for this one, even allowing for Rory Scanell's good form at the moment (much akin to this time last year). Hopefully still have enough to get the job done, but that's a step down in an area that's pretty crucial to us.

Okeke has signed for Coventry

https://x.com/CoventryRugby/status/1795440497168888041?t=aH1fIi1eCfWK3xQ1pan9XA&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Unfortunately can't make the Ulster game now but can resell 2 tickets through ticketmaster - seated, section 202, I'll list them for €75 for the 2, plus whatever service fees TM charge so will cost you around €90 in total. That's c. a tenner less than buying comparable seats direct from TM. PM if interested and I'll send you the ticketmaster secure link so you buy them direct

Edit: Just realised I probably am breaching the charter but can't see how to delete this so mods, do it whenever you can and apols

Post edited by spitonmedickie on

Thaakir Abrahams joins from Lyon on a two year deal.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2024/05/29/thaakir-abrahams-to-join-munster-on-two-year-deal/

I'll be honest, I don't think I'd ever heard of him before this week. Seems a strange place to use an NIQ spot, but what do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

By all accounts we are not allowed to sign a front row or a half-back and we already have an NIQ lock, we’re stacked in the back row, we already have an NIQ centre, so an NIQ wing/fullback was the best we could hope for.

From a few video clips he looks like a Cheslin Kolbe style player, and we will be glad of him if Nash is tied up with Ireland duty and we’ve lost Earls, Conway and Zebo so we probably have a deficit of top quality in the back three.

Campbell and Coombes have been injured a while and McCarthy is a bit green yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think it makes sense, we have a lot of back 3 players in a similar mould; good footballers who lack elite pace. Adding someone as quick as Abrahams has the potential to add a new dimension to our attack.

• Advertisement

It only makes sense because where wert most at need we're not allowed sign an NIQ. We've lost Zebo, Conway and Earls in the last year so we were a bit light there anyway but my guess is that if we had a NIQ in the front row we'd have managed with the backs.

He's supposed to be super fast so hopefully that will pay dividends but I hope his tracking is better than GvdH

GvdH

Exactly who I thought of as well when I heard he has top end pace.

Neil Treacy saying he'll be known around Limerick as Takkies 😂🤣

He had a cracking game against Leinster at the RDS back in October '22 (a wild game Leinster won 54-34). He scored two tries that day and looked like the fastest player on the pitch by miles. His second try that day was an absolute cracker.

He's very small but very quick and a good footballer. Was predominantly seen as a winger in SA, but seems to have played a good bit at FB for Lyon. He think he'll definitely bring another dimension to Munster's backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

how long does associate membership welcome pack arrive after you sign up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It won't be until start of next season so august/september

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

ok cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

URC fixtures out here. The games vs Ulster away and Leinster at home are still to be finalised. Only 1 Friday K.O in Thomond as far as I could see vs Ulster. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2024/05/30/munster-rugbys-2024-25-urc-fixtures-confirmed/

Leinster in Round 4 followed by the SA tour, I'd imagine the EI tour players will start being integrated back in from just before that onwards?

• Advertisement

I don't know why the MR editor can't do this, but here are the Munster fixtures only.

R1 Sat 21 Sep | Munster v Connacht – Thomond Park | 17:30 | RTÉ

R2 Sat 28 Sep | Zebre Parma v Munster | 15:00 | RTÉ

R3 Sat 5 Oct | Munster v Ospreys – Virgin Media Park | 19:35 | RTÉ

R4 Sat 12 Oct | Leinster v Munster | 17:45 | RTÉ

R5 Sat 19 Oct | DHL Stormers v Munster | 17:00| RTÉ

R6 Sat 16 Oct | Hollywoodbets Sharks v Munster | 15:00 | TG4

R7 Sat 20 Nov | Munster v Emirates Lions – Thomond Park | 19:35 | TG4

R8 TBC | Ulster v Munster | TG4

R9 TBC | Munster v Leinster - Thomond Park | TG4

R10 Sat 25 Jan | Dragons RFC v Munster | 19:35 | RTÉ

R11 Sat 14 Feb | Munster v Scarlets – Thomond Park | 17:15| RTÉ

R12 Fri 28 Feb | Munster v Edinburgh Rugby – Virgin Media Park | 19:35 | TG4

R13 Fri 21 Mar | Glasgow v Munster | 19:35 | RTE

R14 TBC | Connacht v Munster | TG4

R15 Sat 19 Apr | Munster v Vodacom Bulls – Thomond Park | 17:15 | RTÉ

R16 Fri 25 Apr | Cardiff Rugby v Munster | 19:35 | TG4

R17 Fri 9 May | Munster v Ulster – Thomond Park | 19:35 | RTÉ

R18 Fri 16 May | Munster v Benetton – Virgin Media Park | 20:00 | TG4

No dates for three interpros and the Leinster game looks to be on New Years rather than St Stephens Day.

Post edited by Cookiemunster on

Advertisement