Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Number 137

I have. Both live and on TV. I presume you don't rate him and would be curious to know why? And not just some vague, general observation that could be made about any referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭50HX

Like you I have seen him live & tv & yes I don't rate him

I find him inconsistent with players offside & at ruck time, that's my view of him, I'm not trolling saying that nor am I goin to trall through footage of him with timeliness of games to reference for you.

In the same way there are players I wouldn't rate from watching as well.

There is a collective sigh when his name is appointed to matches unlike a lot of other refs.

It would be interesting to get a non irish perspective on him

Post edited by 50HX on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mod: if you've an issue with a mods decision taken it to PM. Do not take it up on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Lots of young looking NTS (or unannounced academy entrants) here. Anyone have some names? I recognise Stephen Kiely and Eanna McCarthy but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭letowski

Post edited by Podge_irl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There are about 10 Munster players away with the Ireland 20's for WC prep so probably opened a lot of spots for training.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ahern out for Ireland's tour to SA apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Considering he's played at 8 and 4 and been bench impact in recent games that's mad. He's a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Number 137

Fair enough. In his defence, offside is largely left to ARs and only the glaringly obvious will get picked up by referees. I also believe that a huge amount of perceived offside actually isn't. With regards to the ruck, there is a lot of grey there. I guess there can be two right answers sometimes and perhaps some referee interpretations wont be as well received as others. I think one reason why he may not be popular is because his communication style can be quite sharp. Nigel Owens for example wasn't a very technically good referee, but he could communicate his way out of trouble. I think the players actually really respect Frank Murphy, and that speaks volumes for me.

Always interesting to hear different perspectives on referees. We won't all agree and that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah glaringly obvious and offsides that are material to play will be called. And yeah a lot of perceived offside isn't at all. Totally agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,311 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rugby more than most sports plays to the referee. Once the ref is consistent, most players don't have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah he is fairly sharp with the tongue alright at times, like you said it prob garners him alot of respect from the players

Nigel Owens was a huge fan favourite I thought esp latter years of his career

I think a good ref is one who is not referred to post match

Post edited by 50HX on

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Have never had any issue with the general standard of Frank's refereeing. Like all refs he makes errors, but not more noticeably than other officials.

Everyone who steps onto a pitch will make errors. We seem to hold officials, particularly refs, to a higher standard than we apply to players.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Just had a look at ticket master this morning and looks like it will be a poor attendance friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya awful kick off time. Rules out a lot of families, people that work until 6 and travelling support from cork etc..

Lifted from Munsterfans to put Fridays possible attendance into perspective.

just for giggles looked back at attendances in playoffs last year.

Stormers attendances were phenomenal - 44K, 47k and 56k in QF, SF F

Ulster had 13k v Connacht, Leinster had 14k v Sharks, Glasgow had 7k vs us

Leinster Munster semi had 27k in Avivia

The previous year Bulls had 22k in their home QF v Sharks, Ulster had 10k vs us, Leinster had 9k in RDS vs Glasgow.
    Leinster had 11k for their semi v Bulls and Stormers had 30k for their semi and 31k for the final

In the context of those kind of numbers, and with Ospreys not exactly an enticing draw, and the short time plus an inconvenient Friday evening 15k would actually be a pretty decent turn out and would surpass all other QFs the past two years apart from Stormers (Capetown population 4.7 million) and Bulls

A number of changes for tomorrow. Frisch is back. Coombes and Hodnett start. Barron returns on the bench. The split is 5/3 with Tony Butler covering 10.

Munster: Simon Zebo; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Seán O’Brien, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; RG Snyman, Tadhg Beirne (C); Peter O’Mahony, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, John Ryan, Oli Jager, Jack O’Donoghue, Alex Kendellen, Conor Murray, Tony Butler, Mike Haley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Harsh on Clarke who’s been playing very well, but Barron definitely adds something.

Light on 2nd row cover with Kleyn, Edogbo and Ahern injured (is Fineen available?) so presumably Coombes covering there.

John Ryan continuing as a loosehead solution too, after he went well last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Interesting that Archer starts, Casey starts, Barron gets a chance to prove fitness, Ryan instead of Donnelly at loose-head prop, Haley gets a chance to prove fitness.
    All in all it's a good selection in terms of building towards the next round should we get there.
    It's a good enough team to win, Nankivell probably the one player that would make a difference.
    No lock cover on the bench interesting also, two back rows, so could be looking for Coombes to cover lock if injury there, or else O'Donoghue and Kendellen to come on for O'Mahony and Hodnett with 30 to go and hope Beirne, Snyman and Coombes last the full 80, that might be a bit risky, particularly if we don't want to flog Beirne or Snyman.
    Wonder if Fineen is injured, as would probably prefer to be less risky and start Fineen with Beirne and have Snyman to come on for impact. Maybe just O'Donoghue as back row cover then, rather than the 6-2 option.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah Friday evening when a significant amount of support travels from outside Limerick was aleays going to impact attendance. People might be hoping we win and go to the semi instead if on a better time. Its an election day too but not sure that would have big impact . And from a team POV our match was 1 of the 2 last games of weekend so a 6 day turnaround.

We've just had no luck with second row health this season. Bench looks a little light now, but at least we've experience in the front row.

I'm not sure I've seen any update on Fineen with regards an injury.

Recently, he hadn't quite hit the same form that he did this time last year (where he was great for us in the run-in - one super lineout steal on our 5m line late in the game comes to mind?) so might just be a selection call?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Hank the DJ

He was with the squad during the warm up last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Is Ruadhan Quinn injured/been injured for a large portion of the season?

It's been mentioned to me too that the Munster Hurling Final is on in Thurles in Sunday. Clare and Limerick fans may already have committed their funds to going to that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's listed with the A squad for the game against Ireland u20s.

Gameday, looking forward to this one 2nite now. You'd expect Ospreys to get after us at the breakdown, and we're short in the 2nd row department which has me a little worried - familiar theme this season, and was a huge factor in some of the results prior to our 10-game winning URC run.

But we should have enough to get over the line 2nite, hopefully. Facing into the pointy end of the season without Edogbo, Kleyn and Ahern is far from ideal tho…

We're much stronger than we were early season even with the new injuries. Outside of Butler, we've a strong bench again tonight. And I wouldn't worry about him coming on and playing with a full strength team around him.

Munster are 1/12 with the bookies and the handicap is -15.

• Advertisement

I agree, but we are dangerously thin in some position groups now, LHP, Lock, Out-half, center. An injury to one of the starters will make things difficult for the last two rounds.

Advertisement