Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - date I passed test or date on licence

Options
  • 20-02-2019 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I waited over a year to get my full license after passing test. For insurance I always used the date of my test for calculating the number of years. Recently switched insurance and they say its the date on my driving license. As a result they are increasing the premium. Are they correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Their rules, why should you dictate how they calculate your premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

When I last renewed my premium the company sent me renewal quotes, then after asking me for my eircode decided to increase my premium by over 50 Euro.

I told them they had just lost a customer and went with another company. (The other company was about the same as the revised renewal, I didn't have much time for shopping as it was almost due)

Why on earth would you wait a year before getting your licence??

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Here listen your asking them to make sense of your time on the road. Mine started off 1200 then to 900 then down to 650 then for the beginning of the recession they lost all their money and wanted me to pay 1200 even though I never so much as tapped a car. They tried to blame it on other drivers was why my premium went up changed providers and all were in the exact same price range so had to downgrade to fire and theft for 650 it then came out that Quinn direct were gamblers and basically gambled away our money we put in escrow with them should anything happen on the road. I have learned to largely ignore NCB as it stands little to nothing to deciding your premium but rather how the business performance is running that quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

When you were getting your original insurance policy were you asked what date you passed your driving test( highly unlikely) or asked how long you had your license?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's how long you have had a full licence so having passed doesn't mean from that date as you don't have the licence until applied for which you state you left it a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 doug82

Thanks for replies. I recall my driving instructor telling me to contact insurance company as soon as I passed to get a reduction. That’s why I always thought that was the key date. Good to know for future

• Registered Users Posts: 43 doug82

coylemj wrote: »
    Their rules, why should you dictate how they calculate your premium?

I’m hardly dictating. Obviously it’s their rule. Just wanted to see if that was the general consensus or specific to this company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

This goes for all insurance companies too OP.
    It is usually worded as date you got your full license if I recall correctly.
    This means the date you got the license, not the certificate of competency.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 UrbanVixen

As soon as I passed my driving test I sent a copy of the pass document to the motor insurers as renewal was approaching. They took that as good enough on condition that I sent them a copy of the licence as soon as I got it.

Is there any danger here of misrepresentation if you tell an insurance company that you are driving for X period of time on a fully licensed basis where you have not yet applied for or received the full licence document ?
    [Assuming that you have the test and have the relevant pass document.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

doug82 wrote: »
    I waited over a year to get my full license after passing test.

Why would you wait over a year to get your full licence?
    It means you could still only drive accompanied by fully licenced driver for that year, seems like madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

I got my licence 6 months after passing and AXA refunded me from the date on the certificate of competency. Good sum of money too.

Advertisement