Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike carrier for Ford Mondeo hatchback

Options
  • 20-02-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for a bike carrier for a Ford Mondeo hatchback. The shop I bought my bike from had nothing compatible and said I'd struggle to get something that doesn't require a towbar. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Don't really want to go to the expense of getting a towbar fitted. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Hi. I'm looking for a bike carrier for a Ford Mondeo hatchback. The shop I bought my bike from had nothing compatible and said I'd struggle to get something that doesn't require a towbar. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Don't really want to go to the expense of getting a towbar fitted. Thanks.

I am pretty sure a Saris rack will do the job - Saris bones 2 or 3, depending on number of bikes you wish to carry. Go to www.saris.com - also has compatibility checker for car types etc. etc. Excellent rack, I have been using the Saris bones for years without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Maidhci wrote: »
    I am pretty sure a Saris rack will do the job - Saris bones 2 or 3, depending on number of bikes you wish to carry. Go to www.saris.com - also has compatibility checker for car types etc. etc. Excellent rack, I have been using the Saris bones for years without any issue.

Thank. Yes, I think the Saris Bones will do the job. The Saris Bike Porter too maybe. Thanks for the tip.

If you go on to micksgarage.com you can put in your car reg and it tells you what fits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

How many bikes you carrying and how often? For years the Mondeo hatch's party piece has been bike-swallowing.
    We had a Skoda Octavia hatch and on a weekend down the country we could fit luggage for the family of 4 plus two full road bikes, all in the boot.

(Road bikes, wheels off - if you're an mtb'er or looking to get your Dawes Commuters in there, then you may forget it... :))

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

What year Mondeo?
    I have genuine roof bars and Halfords bike carrier x2.

Perfect as you have access to boot with bikes on roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the current Mondeo hatch has a fibreglass boot door which might affect things.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

rootsman wrote: »
    What year Mondeo?
    I have genuine roof bars and Halfords bike carrier x2.

Perfect as you have access to boot with bikes on roof!

It's a 2011 Mondeo. Older style. Think I'll go with the saris Bones 3. Only have to get one thing that way and it seems tidy enough for storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

It's a 2011 Mondeo. Older style. Think I'll go with the saris Bones 3. Only have to get one thing that way and it seems tidy enough for storing.

Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have the Bones 3 I use for a 2010 Focus. Officially there aren't any rear racks that will work with a Focus (it's got some sort of plastic spoiler thing at the top of the hatch with a light in which I think is the problem - the straps do put pressure on this; the Mondeo from what I can see doesn't have this but is otherwise similar in shape albeit bigger) and far as I remember Saris don't list the Focus as compatible. I got the Bones as I saw it recommended in a few places and I've never had a problem. I probably wouldn't want to load it (we've used it fully laden on the people mover), but for a road bike, even 2, it shouldn't be a problem. The feet where it rests against the bodywork/glass are big chunky rubber affairs, so should be protective so long as you're careful where the weight is going through

Advertisement