Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mobo, Ram, CPU - which one isn't working

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Inviere

If using a GPU, have you configured the bios not to use on board graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Just a quick reply to confirm the RAM is working in this machine

Inviere wrote: »
    If using a GPU, have you configured the bios not to use on board graphics?

Not even getting that far, no POST whatsoever! Tried with and without GPU and even on an older VGA monitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You may need a BIOS update for the motherboard to run a 2nd gen Ryzen

Just saw that the Ryzen requires a discrete GPU, so I'm currently going to check that out. (but I had the card plugged in on first boot!)
    gigabyte Radeon HD 4670

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You may need a BIOS update for the motherboard to run a 2nd gen Ryzen

you might have something there, found on Reddit --> Does your board's serial number start with SN17? If so then it's not updated.

Next, need to figure out how to update the bios without a working CPU :(

Quick Edit: Might be able to get a loaner from AMD tech support
    Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit

AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) a AMD AM4 A-series processor including thermal solution for short term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for qualified users that have made a valid purchase of a 2nd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and are affected by this specific boot up issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I seen on adverts recently someone offering a service to update Ryzen motherboards for a small fee may be quicker than waiting for AMD to send out kit.

I seen on adverts recently someone offering a service to update Ryzen motherboards for a small fee may be quicker than waiting for AMD to send out kit.

Saw that, or similar at least, but its up in Dublin €20 for a loan and by the time I factor in driving or p&p it'll be cheaper for me to buy an A6 for €38 ext vat and sell it after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

If you ordered off amazon ask for a replacement motherboard, they will ship it and give you a free post return label for the other one with about 2 months to send it back. No harm in trying another MoBo to see if that is the problem. I heard the likelihood of a faulty CPU is very low.

I started a thread here recently with a very similar issue and it was a faulty motherboard (or one I fried myself) in the end.

killanena wrote: »
    If you ordered off amazon ask for a replacement motherboard, they will ship it and give you a free post return label for the other one with about 2 months to send it back. No harm in trying another MoBo to see if that is the problem. I heard the likelihood of a faulty CPU is very low.

I started a thread here recently with a very similar issue and it was a faulty motherboard (or one I fried myself) in the end.
    Thanks, but I left it on the long finger too long and I've missed the returns window. But LuTze was right, once I was pointed in the right direction I found loads of similar problems. So I just have to get an older am4 CPU and flash an update.
    I've opened a ticket with AMD and I need -->
    Before approving your request, I would like to verify that you have tried to contact your motherboard manufacturer or their local authorized service provider, and they have established that your motherboard requires a BIOS update, and were not able to help you perform that update.

Please provide a summary or copy of your communication with the motherboard manufacturer to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

AMD is in position to be able to provide a short-term loan of a Boot kit, such that you can Flash the BIOS yourself.
    To qualify for this service, AMD will require a picture of your

Processor (note: a picture of the retail box is not sufficient), that clearly shows the Model number and Serial number plus a copy of your purchase invoice.

Please can you also provide details of your motherboard and a copy of your purchase invoice.
    Seems like a pain, contacting gigabyte too, wiping the thermal paste off etc
    I'm asking around to see if any mates have one I could borrow, or failing that I'll buy an A6 and sell it on if I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Not be easier to just sell it on and buy a new board? Sounds like a lot of hassle tbh.

Advertisement