Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension price

Options
  • 20-02-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice
    We are getting an single storey extension which will be basic enough
    40sqm with a pitched roof,1 door leading to the back and two windows.
    We are in a mid terraced house so all materials with be brought through the house.
    1st quote we got was 30k with the 2nd coming next week
    Is 30k reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Don't take this the wrong way or view it as a post to make you wonder, but , in my opinion that is too cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Looking for advice
    We are getting an single storey extension which will be basic enough
    40sqm with a pitched roof,1 door leading to the back and two windows.
    We are in a mid terraced house so all materials with be brought through the house.
    1st quote we got was 30k with the 2nd coming next week
    Is 30k reasonable?

Seems very low. When I did mine a few years ago prices were 1 to 1.5k per sqm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We were looking for similar and one quote was over €70k. That included adding a toilet under the stairs and a utility room next to it.

That was a builder's finish too so would need to buy a kitchen on top of that.

Have to put it off for a while to save a bit more.

This is in Dublin. Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We were looking at quotes on a house we went sale agreed on for 40m2 and we were getting €60-€80k.

For extension that size I wouldn’t think you would get it done for less than €45-50k even with the basics and bare minimum. I could be wrong through it’s just from what we have been getting back from builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

It is just a basic extension
    3 walls and a roof,1 door+2 windows
    Walls plastered,spot lights and power points.
    We are in north Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We are in north Dublin

Still very very cheap.
    Either the builder has misquoted you or has misread the actual proposed size of the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

kceire wrote: »
    We are in north Dublin

Still very very cheap.
    Either the builder has misquoted you or has misread the actual proposed size of the extension.
    Just talked to the builder an he indeed did make an error.He said the actual size is 32m2 and not 40m2.
    Price is still 30k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just talked to the builder an he indeed did make an error.He said the actual size is 32m2 and not 40m2.
    Price is still 30k

32 Sq. M for 30k is still very cheap IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Im in the process of getting quotes and there not coming in anywhere near that. Could you PM me the builders details?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

Just got 2 quotes for 36sqm extension along same lines and was 90k and 104k!!! Before flooring and kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Got a 12m2 for 17k recently. Finished it cost 20k including tiles,kitchen,plastering and painting.
    If anybody wants the builders details PM me..people are being charged stupid money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Got a 12m2 for 17k recently. Finished it cost 20k including tiles,kitchen,plastering and painting.
    If anybody wants the builders details PM me..people are being charged stupid money.

Instead of us guessing if that is a good or bad price , can you give some details?Such as insulation level , one room or more ,windows/ doors type , vat inc. or exc. any certification provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashikinzz

Hi could you please DM me the builders details just got a quote of €100k for a 26Sqm extension. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ashikinzz wrote: »
    Hi could you please DM me the builders details just got a quote of €100k for a 26Sqm extension. Thanks

What were the other 2 quotes?

Btw the poster your asking, their Account seems to be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

touchwood wrote: »
    Just got 2 quotes for 36sqm extension along same lines and was 90k and 104k!!! Before flooring and kitchen.

This is in line with what I was quoted for a 40sqm in North Co Wicklow - mine included a large amount of steel work, and engineer's costs, as well and was to an above average finish

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Synney

Price is still 30k

Hi,
    Looking to do something of a similar size. Could you please DM me the builders details. Have you started the process?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Synney wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking to do something of a similar size. Could you please DM me the builders details. Have you started the process?
    Thanks.

Could you DM me also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Synney wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks.
    Could you DM me also?
    As it’s not far off a year later would it not be better to ask how the poster got on with the builder, what was the quality of work or finish, what the final price or what had the builder omitted from the original quote or any type or review first rather than asking for the contact details?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dudda wrote: »
    As it’s not far off a year later would it not be better to ask how the poster got on with the builder, what was the quality of work or finish, what the final price or what had the builder omitted from the original quote or any type or review first rather than asking for the contact details?

....and did they get certificates/opinions on compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 quality assured no1

Very interested to hear back on what everyone got in value for there price quoted. There is massive differences in some of the quotes. I don't know how some of the cheaper end are possible. They might have got an extension but i wouldn't imagine any steel work was done and opened up the whole place. Maybe I'm wrong but more details would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Looking at adding a bedroom at the rear of the house. Roughly 3.5m x 4m with 1 exterior door and 1 window. Based in Limerick. Roughly how much would I be looking at? And can anyone PM with reputable builders.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Remove if in the wrong thread and apologies in advance.

Years ago the parents added a two-storey extension onto the house, with the top floor used as their bedroom, en-suite, shower room and walk-in wardrobe, and the bottom floor lying vacant ever since. Was looking at the potential of converting it into a small apartment for myself and the missus.

I don't have the exact dimensions to hand (but can get them), but it's segmented into a front living space (for a kitchen/sitting room), bedroom to the back at one side and a shower/toilet at the other side of the back wall. A-rated windows on all three "new" walls. Exterior door. All the electric sockets etc are fitted but not connected. Plumbing not connected to toilet either.

The original exterior wall is still visible, so I imagine the whole area will have to cladded and insulated. Here's the kicker. There is a door connecting the original house to the un-used extension, that used to be something of a "man-cave" with a pool table, dart board but open plan otherwise that's roughly the same area in size as the extension. A stairs leading up to the main house runs along one of the walls. I was thinking that it should be possible to knock through the outer wall and add all this extra space, maybe extending the kitchen/sitting room and enlarging the bedroom. But my first goal is kitting out the extension.

The biggest obstacle first is clearing the space of clutter (both have taken on roles as "store-rooms") which will require a skip rental, but I wouldn't have a construction mind at all. As I see it there doesn't seem like there is much work to be done, apart from cladding and insulating the walls and connecting the power/plumbing. All decorative work will be done by us, and we can acquire the appliances over time.

What would the ball-park figure be in terms of costs? Based in north Wexford. I see it as far more sensible than investing in a mobile home while saving money to rent our own place. And could rent it out in future.

Advertisement