Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning ahead for clothes

Options
  • 20-02-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I was wondering has anyone any advise. I am heading for 16 weeks and no sign of a bump yet. I have a trip away next week and a wedding in about 5 weeks but finding it so hard to know what size I will be and what clothes I will be able To wear. I was sure I would have a bump by the trip away next week but prob unlikely that it will be much at this stage so maybe will be able to wear my normal summer clothes. As for the wedding, do people just leave it last minute to dress for weddings when pregnant or what do u usually do? I think even in 5 weeks a maternity wear dress might be too baggy in the belly department. I like to buy online as its easier to find a bargain so I don’t want to leave it too late to buy clothes for the wedding! Thanks in advance for any tips

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's only around 20/21 weeks that I think you develop even a bit of a tummy on your first (generally) so I reckon you could definitely wear normal clothes to the wedding, but you might just have to chose carefully or go up a size. Like something that has a band under the bust, and a flowing skirt - style thing, or else a maxi dress of some sort, are probably your best bet. You might find a maternity dress that might suit, but I'd say you will find it easier to find a normal dress that would suit.

As for the trip away - try on your normal clothes now and if they fit now they will probably be ok for next week. Maybe stick to the looser ones to give you some growing space, but I don't think you would need a whole new wardrobe of maternity stuff. You could top it up by just buying some bits that are a size bigger than usual. Maybe just some maternity trousers/bottoms if you aren't already in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I had this problem on my first, but I was going away for 4 weeks. You’ll be grand in your normal clothes on hols I would think.

As for the wedding, an empire line or something will probably be fine. You might want to make sure that you have small a bit of space for bust growth though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Had no bump till 20 weeks on my first. Bigger bump at 13weeks on my 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

javagal wrote: »
    Had no bump till 20 weeks on my first. Bigger bump at 13weeks on my 3rd

This! I’m 20 weeks now, and I feel around 35!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

First pregnancy here and a proper bump only appeared for me around 22 weeks. Before that practically everything from my normal clothes still fit apart from a couple of dresses and my work trousers.

For the trip away - try on things that you'd like to bring to make sure they are actually comfortable. While I fit in some things, wearing them for a long day wouldn't have been that pleasant. I went on holidays at 13 weeks and found that I could fit into my shorts but they just weren't comfy anymore so went more for dresses.

As for the wedding - I agree with the others, an empire line might be your friend here. Also on the maternity clothes, I found that they weren't baggy at all on me but have just stretched to accommodate the growing bump. I probably could have worn them all earlier and looked fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement