Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adoption Crate

• 21-02-2019 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I had a hogget with 2 lambs last Saturday morning. She did not take up wih one of the lambs so I put ewe in adoption crate and let her out yesterday evening Tuesday but she still rejected the lamb so I put her back in.

Is the adoption crate guaranteed to work and how long will I need to leave her in it

Any other tips I should be aware of

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Tomjim wrote: »
    I had a hogget with 2 lambs last Saturday morning. She did not take up wih one of the lambs so I put ewe in adoption crate and let her out yesterday evening Tuesday but she still rejected the lamb so I put her back in.

Is the adoption crate guaranteed to work and how long will I need to leave her in it

Only take the ewe out when she bauls for the lamb or as a fella here says when the two start talking to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No it's not guaranteed, often had them in 3 weeks and it still didn't work, We're fortunate in that the ewes are fed straw and meal and they're used to it going into the crate, but ewes can get sick and go dry in it if left too long.
    The ones rejecting their own are the worst,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Tomjim

If I put stockholm tar on both lambs would that help

If I put stockholm tar on both lambs would that help

If it was mine I'd wet adopt the rejected lamb on the next single that lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

I have stopped using the crate as i feel the stress of it for some ewes is too much to allow them to care about a lamb, using the bucket the last few years, see the attached link.

http://www.sheepnet.network/node/214

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Sami23

kk.man wrote: »
    Only take the ewe out when she bauls for the lamb or as a fella here says when the two start talking to each other.

Is it important that the Ewe can't see the lambs when she's in the crate or does that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sami23 wrote: »
    Is it important that the Ewe can't see the lambs when she's in the crate or does that matter?

The ewe must see the lamb imo to bond and adapt to the smell of the lamb and she needs a break from giving her milk to the lamb.
    I usually take them to her head at night and when I'm checking ewes during the night I put them in with her for a few minutes and then return to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Jimbo789

roosky wrote: »
    I have stopped using the crate as i feel the stress of it for some ewes is too much to allow them to care about a lamb, using the bucket the last few years, see the attached link.

http://www.sheepnet.network/node/214

If someone designed blinkers like for a horse would it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Jimbo789 wrote: »

Not a bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

Jimbo789 wrote: »

Thats what the bucket is doing and it doesnt effect her eating or drinking so works for me

• Advertisement

roosky wrote: »
    Thats what the bucket is doing and it doesnt effect her eating or drinking so works for me

The smell is more important, the bucket probably stops the ewe from smelling the tail of the lamb as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Sami23

Well I put one in the crate yesterday evening. She has a single so tried a triplet with her in pen last few days but had to hold her each time to give him a suck. When he wasn't trying to suck she didn't mind him being with her.
    Hopefully after few days she might take to him.
    Foster lamb was delighted anyway and he had a right good drink when he got his chance

Advertisement