Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden garden shed and fence in front garden.

Options
  • 21-02-2019 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all.

We have put up a 10ft x 6ft wooden shed in our front garden around 3ft from the front boundary. It is a large front garden so there is a lot more than what they ask to be left space wise. The shed height is only about 2.5 metres at it's highest. We have also erected wooden fences which are attached to the original cast iron fences at the front of the property that were originally there for a bit of privacy.

The house is a protected structure but this shed is about 20 ft away from the house itself. We got a letter through the door from Dublin City Council saying they were going to investigate as no planning was submitted for the shed or fences. I was under the impression a wooden shed is a temporary structure so was exempt. I also see on Dublin City Council website that "No structure you build should be constructed or placed forward of the front wall of the house." Is the front wall of the house the actual building wall or the boundry wall? We are not sure what the next steps are now or how to proceed?

Can anyone on here with your wealth of expertise please advise me on this matter. It would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KingBot wrote: »
    Hi all.

We have put up a 10ft x 6ft wooden shed in our front garden around 3ft from the front boundary. It is a large front garden so there is a lot more than what they ask to be left space wise. The shed height is only about 2.5 metres at it's highest. We have also erected wooden fences which are attached to the original cast iron fences at the front of the property that were originally there for a bit of privacy.

The house is a protected structure but this shed is about 20 ft away from the house itself. We got a letter through the door from Dublin City Council saying they were going to investigate as no planning was submitted for the shed or fences. I was under the impression a wooden shed is a temporary structure so was exempt. I also see on Dublin City Council website that "No structure you build should be constructed or placed forward of the front wall of the house." Is the front wall of the house the actual building wall or the boundry wall? We are not sure what the next steps are now or how to proceed?

Can anyone on here with your wealth of expertise please advise me on this matter. It would be very much appreciated.

A shed in the front garden most definitely needs planning permission.
    You will most likely be refused.

Then you bring in the stricter requirements of Protected Structures!

Quickest course of action and the cheapest is to remove them now. If DCC go into Enforcement Procedures, you will be liable for legal costs straight away.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

KingBot wrote: »
    Hi all.

1. "exempted development" does not apply to protected structures.... so you cannot claim exemption.

2. and it would most probably be refused planning there anyway, unless its completely unseen from anywhere

3. "temporary structure being exempt from planing" is a complete myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KingBot

Thanks for the help everyone. Seems we will have to take it down going by these responses. Appreciate the help.

Advertisement