Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying a dealer in the North for a car

• 21-02-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering whats peoples opinions on the best way of paying a garage for a car in the north currency wise? Is a bank transfer a good way of saving on exchange rates? Credit card? Bank Draft which is the best in regards the change in currency iv read paying by bank is the best but im unsure. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Have a look at www.transfermate.com

Good fx rates and really fast transfers. I've used them and they were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Have a look at www.transfermate.com

Good fx rates and really fast transfers. I've used them and they were excellent.

cool thanks will look into them this morning. Trying to see which my best options are and other peoples opinions first time buying in north so unsure of what way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

revoke12 wrote: »
    cool thanks will look into them this morning. Trying to see which my best options are and other peoples opinions first time buying in north so unsure of what way to go.

+1 for Transfermate. Used it recently and very easy to use....saved me a packet compared to used my debit card.....easily covered costs in getting the car over from the UK.

+1 for Transfermate. Used it recently and very easy to use....saved me a packet compared to used my debit card.....easily covered costs in getting the car over from the UK.

Great thanks i will read into it today. is it easy to transfer funds etc to the account and do you simply transfer then to the garage bank? will read into it in detail today just looking on a low down.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Great thanks i will read into it today. is it easy to transfer funds etc to the account and do you simply transfer then to the garage bank? will read into it in detail today just looking on a low down.

Yes, easy to transfer to......you may need to call into your bank to do transfer if over certain limits....but you just request a local transfer to transfermate and in my case it was there within 30 mins. Try then change it from euro to £ST. Then just a matter of adding the dealers bank details into Transfermate and request transfer. Went through with a couple of hours....transfers over the weekend dont go through until Monday so just something to bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

A bit of advise. I used transfermate but didnt transfer the full amount so that i could haggle over any last minute issues that didnt turn up in the report and pictures before i saw the car in person. I kept back 700 and got that from the bank and brought it with me. Worked out well because there was a small issue when i viewed the car i wasnt expecting and got another 150 off the car again with a bit of haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Currencyfair.com are also good check all companies rates and choose the best.

I used these last year for a UK purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anyone use Revolut? Is there a daily limit to their transfers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

toby2111 wrote: »
    Anyone use Revolut? Is there a daily limit to their transfers?

75k is the daily limit

75k is the daily limit

Cheers for that..... Hope to spend about one tenth of that!!
    So is revolut the best value option to use? Better exchange rates than those listed above?

• Advertisement

Cheers everyone - first time buying up north just wondering what does the garage need to give me etc to VRT down south i persume an invoice etc but is there any forms they need to fill out for me while im up there? Prob sounds like a silly question but im clueless to this as its my first time buying Eng reg.

Cheers everyone - first time buying up north just wondering what does the garage need to give me etc to VRT down south i persume an invoice etc but is there any forms they need to fill out for me while im up there? Prob sounds like a silly question but im clueless to this as its my first time buying Eng reg.

Invoice, and make sure you get the V5C off them. Similar to the way we send off the logbook when we sell a car down south, they send the V5C off to the DVLA as standard when a car is sold, but the issue is it requires a UK address, and can be troublesome if you don't have it when trying to register the car down south.

Invoice, and make sure you get the V5C off them. Similar to the way we send off the logbook when we sell a car down south, they send the V5C off to the DVLA as standard when a car is sold, but the issue is it requires a UK address, and can be troublesome if you don't have it when trying to register the car down south.

Great thanks for that. so basically just them 2 things i need so off the garage.

but the issue is it requires a UK address, and can be troublesome if you don't have it when trying to register the car down south.
    So how do people do this if they don't have a UK address to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You don't need a UK address. You take the v5c or whatever it's called with you. It's a different process for an export.

You insist that the dealer doesn't send off the V5C and bring it with you to the VRT centre. Fill out the V5C/4 and they can send that off to the DVLA to notify them the cars being exported. But it's extremely important to make sure you hold on to the V5C itself.

Ok, thanks.
    Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a dealer(or dealers) in the North who will source a car if I give them a few that I'm interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why pay a middle man to source a car for you that you have already identified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Arranging payment to the UK myself right now and went about setting up Transfermate. I had previously used CurrencyFair.

A real pain to set up Transfermate - I couldn't believe it. They requested a bank statement, 2 forms of Id and that I print, fill in my hand and scan an application form and send it back to them.

When I eventually went to send the money it was €200 more expensive than CurrencyFair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

You insist that the dealer doesn't send off the V5C and bring it with you to the VRT centre. Fill out the V5C/4 and they can send that off to the DVLA to notify them the cars being exported. But it's extremely important to make sure you hold on to the V5C itself.

Is this to say that the NCTS will send off the section on your behalf to the DVLA to ensure the car is classified as Exported in the UK?

• Advertisement

Is this to say that the NCTS will send off the section on your behalf to the DVLA to ensure the car is classified as Exported in the UK?

No, you/the seller send it off. This covers the seller to say the car is no longer in their possession and being used in the UK, as you're the one holding the V5C which hasn't been changed over.

The NCTS won't send it to the DVLA for you.

Advertisement