Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose bush removal from hedgerow

Options
  • 21-02-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

All around my property the hedgerow has been intertwined with long thorny stalks that grow at a ferocious rate, I am nearly 100 percent that these are actually from a rose bush from the previous owner.

Also elsewhere on the property, thorny stalks have grown up into several apple trees and have been a real pain to remove.

My issue is that the roots/base of these plants arn't easily accessible as they are in the hedgerow or deep in the ditch on the otherside (Farmland) is it possible to inject these plants specifically with herbicide or other product (As I see can be done with knotweed) so as to not kill the hedgerow or other plants around it and due to the access issue???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are really more likely brambles, but it doesn't matter, if you don't want them then treat them. There are two ways of dealing with them.

Cut back the brambles (either leave them there or pull them out of the hedgerow). Wait until there is good vigorous new growth from the stumps and pull them out away from the hedgerow, force them to grow in an accessible way. When there is a good bit of new, full size leaf paint them with systemic weedkiller (you can get a thing with a sponge applicator) or make a solution in a bucket and gather (loosely tie) bunches of the new shoots in bundles and dip into the bucket. Put on a plastic bag to dry. If you put the treated shoots on other foliage while they are wet they will kill it. Leave for 2 to 3 weeks - be patient, you will not see any destruction for at least that long, they may even look healthier. You may have to repeat the next season.

Edit, obviously wear rubber gloves, be careful with the solution and keep kids and animals away for a few hours. Dispose of remaining solution safely.

Or do not cut the brambles, just pull existing brambles out of the hedge and wait for them to leaf. The first way is actually easier.

Either way its a bit early yet to do the treatment, but you can be preparing. A small splash of weedkiller on mature bark isn't usually a problem, you need to be treating the leaves.

Advertisement