Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones spotted over Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Mebuntu wrote:
    RTE News at One. DAA rep said drone was spotted by pilots of aircraft taxying out for takeoff.

I don't believe a word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

jimbis wrote: »
    It would also drop that drone straight to the ground though. Worthy sacrifice if it was of malicious intent.

Worthy sacrifice alright but couldn’t see too many bird trainer/lovers being in that game!
    Maybe im totally wrong.
    What they need IMO is a drone pilot on standby with some monster drone that can take down another drone or at the very least lock onto it and follow it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

TCM wrote: »
    I don't believe a word of it.

https://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=eidw_twr_118600

Put in date 21st Feb. Feed - Dublin Tower. Time 11:30-12:00Z

Listen to the first couple of minutes for the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Homer

robbie1876 wrote: »

What I think he means is that while the pilot reports he thinks he sees a drone over runway 28 its just not possible to verify if it was actually a drone. There weren't multiple reports, and all pilots have phones that could have taken a picture/video of the drone surely? They are VERY small objects to spot from 50-100m away and while I don't doubt the pilot was making up the sighting I just think people are questioning the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

Homer wrote: »
    all pilots have phones that could have taken a picture/video of the drone surely

I'm not sure if it's entirely appropriate for a pilot on take-off or descent to start taking photos on their phones.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's entirely appropriate for a pilot on take-off or descent to start taking photos on their phones.

They were taxiing when reported the sighting but appreciate your concern ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Need to get a few of them golden eagles that are trained to take out drones.

And then pilots will get confused and start reporting eagles as drones, causing eagles to be launched and...

It would seem to be much simpler to have a centimetric radar that just scans for drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jon1981 wrote: »
    FFS, need to be harsh laws brought in against these idiots. As a frequent flyer I can imagine the frustrations of the passengers now.

And I mean harsh, like prison time. The financial cost of this type of disruption can easily run into millions.

It does need to be prison time. Not for the financial cost of disruption but for the serious potential to loss of life and property. With drones becoming more available and attainable and the same it seems with the number of brain dead fûcking dickheads in society I’m fearing its only a matter of time before one of these ‘hey look at me, look at what I can do’ dîckhead attention seekers causes some terrible event.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There weren't multiple reports, and all pilots have phones that could have taken a picture/video of the drone surely?

Impossible to get a picture of something that small on a phone camera unless it's very close by, you'd need an SLR with a long lens

I'd be very surprised if any airports are encouraging birds to live/nest in their vicinity, it's the last thing they want, anyone got actual proof of this from an industry source?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

all pilots have phones that could have taken a picture/video of the drone surely? They are VERY small objects to spot from 50-100m away

Which is it?

• Advertisement

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Which is it?

You might want to re read my post and then look up in the dictionary what a rhetorical question is. If you’re stuck drop me a PM and I’ll explain it to you. :rolleyes:

Impossible to get a picture of something that small on a phone camera unless it's very close by, you'd need an SLR with a long lens

That was my point. Equally hard for a pilot to see exactly what it was through a window at several hundred yards.

Plenty of SLRs with long lenses at the plane spotters area, and the airport police were over to that area pretty quickly once the incident kicked off. I'd be surprised if none of those spotters took the chance to take photos of a drone over Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

You might want to re read my post and then look up in the dictionary what a rhetorical question is. If you’re stuck drop me a PM and I’ll explain it to you. :rolleyes:

No need to act supercilious, we're all well aware what a rhetorical question is, but they're generally supposed to be used in service of your argument rather than to undercut it. Then again, you seem to be certain that the pilot falsified the report, unless you need to look up the definition of 'doubt'.
    ...while I don't doubt the pilot was making up the sighting...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

robbie1876 wrote: »

That lady in traffic controls kinda said it actually. "Gawd bless are eyesight" Size of a "dinner plate".
    Doubt there was any drone. More people would have seen it with the registration spotters always looking up. Someone needs get eye check.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

One genuine pilot is enough to take action but.... Drone at airport may have been false alarm
    A drone sighting that suspended flights at Dublin airport may have been a false alarm as gardaave been unable to find a second witness.

A Ryanair pilot reported seeing a drone over the runway on Thursday morning. “Just to let you know there’s something that looks like a drone just over runway 2-8,” he told air traffic control operators just before 11:30am. The pilot said that the drone was about 200ft above the ground when he spotted it from inside the cockpit.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/drone-at-airport-may-have-been-false-alarm-95bwrsfsh

I know there was some doubt that there were drones in the UK but they were seen by multiple professionals numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I still think it may have been a Kestrel they hover at a standstill with only tiny movements of their wings so it could easily have been that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Better safe than sorry.

I wonder would this fall under the remit of AAIU to investigate? No specific aircraft were involved in an 'incident' or 'occurrence' as such, but it would make for interesting reading to read their report. We may not know if there were other confirmed sightings on the airfield until such a report is produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Better safe than sorry.

Exactly, pilot reported something that might be a drone. Did the right thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

https://youtu.be/Q-MWLuww8bU ATC from Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

numbnutz wrote: »
    Drones should be treated like a controlled substance.The threat of disruption to aviation and passengers lives is just too great to ignore. Gatwick at Christmas Dubai last week and now this.Shoot them down and jail the perpetrators is the only solution.Registration of all drones with the IAA prior to sale to the public, a nightmare of bull**** paperwork and administration I know but this is what needs to be done.
    That said I hope it wasn't a police/firebrigade drone....doh!!

This ! ! ! ^ the consequence to misuse of drones is going to be mega catastrophic I fear. The regularity at which drones are in use AND coming into close proximity with aircraft is a worry . They are and can impact the industry financially or in terms of safety or both. I’m not for regulations or over regulation of anything but in the interest of safety as drones become more easy to obtain I’m thinking licensing to become mandatory or some such might be needed.

Advertisement