Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK licence after Brexit

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

So the EU says no?
    Aha but the EU would want ALL EU countries to be treated the same. Ireland and the UK could have a bilateral agreement.

This is the difference between an agreement and expecting bilateral recognition.

The UK is expecting that the EU and Schengen member states offer the same as what they implement in the UK.

This is not an agreement, this is like going to your mates house and expecting to stay whenever you like because you offered him to stay at yours whenever he liked.

That's not an agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

redcup342 wrote: »
    This is the difference between an agreement and expecting bilateral recognition.

The UK is expecting that the EU and Schengen member states offer the same as what they implement in the UK.

This is not an agreement, this is like going to your mates house and expecting to stay whenever you like because you offered him to stay at yours whenever he liked.

That's not an agreement.

It's the difference between two sovereign nations coming to a mutually agreeable solution versus a supranational power dictating something that not in Ireland's best interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭CiboC

Aha but the EU would want ALL EU countries to be treated the same. Ireland and the UK could have a bilateral agreement.

You seem to fundamentally not understand (or not want to understand) how the EU works, although I'm not surprised seeing as the UK didn't seem to want to acknowledge this fact during negotiations either.

the EU negotiates as a bloc for all members on a wide variety of topics and, in those topics, individual member states do not make seperate agreements.

CiboC wrote: »
    You seem to fundamentally not understand (or not want to understand) how the EU works, although I'm not surprised seeing as the UK didn't seem to want to acknowledge this fact during negotiations either.

the EU negotiates as a bloc for all members on a wide variety of topics and, in those topics, individual member states do not make seperate agreements.

I understand how it works. It removes national sovereignty and replaces it with nonsense bureaucracy. How's the vaccine rollout going?

CiboC wrote: »

Of course you can make seperate agreements in areas where you haven't signed an agreement already.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40790428

You do need an agreement though, that takes time (years) I don't see why Ireland would bother when everyone could just get an Irish Document if they live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I understand how it works. It removes national sovereignty and replaces it with nonsense bureaucracy. How's the vaccine rollout going?

How is the live shellfish trade going?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How is the live shellfish trade going?

Both of these are due 100% to the EU.

All this anti British sentiment is really cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

All this anti British sentiment is really cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Its impossible to argue with a brexiteer, your position is so absurd there is no chance of convincing your otherwise.

The EU signed a deal with the UK on behalf of its Citizens with the UK and the UK did the same.

UK is completely free to make its own agreements with whoever it wants, whether the other Country can agree to that is a differerent matter.

"We" didn't do anything, people in the UK Voted for this, we did not get a vote.

Although people didn't really know what they were voting for, but it is what it is.

People need to follow the rules now and thats all there is to it.

• Advertisement

Although people didn't really know what they were voting for, but it is what it is.

Ah so they are all ignorant unlike yourself?

Who makes the rules? Ever hear of a thing called democracy? We elect politicians who do things (ideally) in the interest of the population and we should vote them out if they do not.

We make the rules.

Ah so they are all ignorant unlike yourself?

Who makes the rules? Ever hear of a thing called democracy? We elect politicians who do things (ideally) in the interest of the population and we should vote them out if they do not.

We make the rules.

I think you just explained how the European Parliament works but your statement doesn't work for the UK as the Scottish Voted against Brexit and also wanted to have an Independence referendum but were told no by Westminister.

The UK does not seem very democratic

I think you just explained how the European Parliament works but your statement doesn't work for the UK as the Scottish Voted against Brexit and also wanted to have an Independence referendum but were told no by Westminister.

The UK does not seem very democratic

The unaccountable commission proposes laws.

The unaccountable commission proposes laws.

The commission plans and proposes a law and then it has to be passed by the European Parliament and the European Council.

I.E - People you directly voted for (The Parliament)
    and people your Country voted for (The National Government of the Individual member states)

The Commission is accoutable to the European Parliament.

Or least thats how it works unless you read the Daily Express talking about bendy bananas etc. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The EU signed a deal with the UK on behalf of its Citizens with the UK and the UK did the same.

UK is completely free to make its own agreements with whoever it wants, whether the other Country can agree to that is a differerent matter.

"We" didn't do anything, people in the UK Voted for this, we did not get a vote.

Please stop this nonsense. Ireland and UK have freedom to negotiate their own deals if they don't violate the EU rules. Like free Common Travel Area (CTA). There is nothing, bar political will, that is stopping Ireland from allowing UK driving licenses here.

I am saying this from a position of finding Brexit one of the biggest mistakes and ****storms in modern Europe history.

grogi wrote: »
    Please stop this nonsense. Ireland and UK have freedom to negotiate their own deals if they don't violate the EU rules. Like free Common Travel Area (CTA). There is nothing, bar political will, that is stopping Ireland from allowing UK driving licenses here.

I am saying this from a position of finding Brexit one of the biggest mistakes and ****storms in modern Europe history.

Maybe the Brits realised they didn't want to be part of USSR 2.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No it's not.

I export - the sheer level of ignorance amongst even UK business people of how to get a truck of 'stuff' from UK into the EU is mind boggling.

I was involved in trying to sort out 2 loads last week for a UK Co that sent them by ferry to Germany, and they had NO - NONE - Customs Agent in Germany (EU) to receive, at all. They literally thought they could just roll off the ferry and toddle down the Autobahn.

Lolz, the good 'ol Zoll boys weren't long enlightening them.

I enquired about buying a car from a garage in NI yesterday and they literally have no idea about the VAT implications.

It's not our job to educate them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

grogi wrote: »

Of course they can agree their own rules, Ireland DID make an agreement to allow exchange after December 31st.

UK Driving licenses are allowed in Ireland for up to a year, if you live here you need to exchange it just like everyone else on the list.

I don't what the confusion is here ?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

I don't see what benefit recognising UK Driving licenses brings when Ireland doesn't even allow exchange of driving licenses from the US or Certain Canadian provinces.

UK just gets the same treatment as Australia and every other Third Country.

If you want to accept Foreign Licenses in Ireland then accept it for everyone or make a special agreement for the UK.

Of course they can agree their own rules, Ireland DID make an agreement to allow exchange after December 31st.

UK Driving licenses are allowed in Ireland for up to a year, if you live here you need to exchange it just like everyone else on the list.

I don't what the confusion is here ?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

I don't see what benefit recognising UK Driving licenses brings when Ireland doesn't even allow exchange of driving licenses from the US or Certain Canadian provinces.

UK just gets the same treatment as Australia and every other Third Country.

If you want to accept Foreign Licenses in Ireland then accept it for everyone or make a special agreement for the UK.

Do you think there are any geographical, historical or cultural reasons why Ireland's relationship with the UK might be different to the rest of Europe?

Do you think there are any geographical, historical or cultural reasons why Ireland's relationship with the UK might be different to the rest of Europe?

I think the Republic of Ireland being a sovereign state and not being part of the United Kingdom for over 100 years would be a valid answer to that question.

You come to Ireland you respects its laws and its rules, if you want an agreement then you can come and ask for it just like any other Sovereign Nation. (i.e. Make a deal, Take back control etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You've made your point already. We know.

• Advertisement

This thread is around driving license exchange and recognition.

I don't think that point of view is particularly relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt up to here.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

hognef wrote: »
    Is that over-70 rule new since Brexit, do you know? I'm not sure whether it would have been allowed while they were in the EU?

It's not new since 2013 anyway when I first looked at that website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Has anyone recently swapped a uk license for an Irish one recently, standard car and bike (no commercial)? Just looking for a guide on how long it is currently taking. NDLS office said 6 weeks, NDLS website says 3 months. Anyone been through the process recently??

I’m still waiting for my physical licence. I applied in person in the second week of January. Received a letter from them in mid February asking me to get a check code from DVLA. I emailed check code to them on 25th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

Applied for mine online on 30th December, sent license off a week later, got a text saying it was in progress on January 20th. Not heard anything since, so has been 9 weeks so far. I don;t understand why they didn't give a 6 month extension for using UK licenses if they are having issues with processing due to covid.

I’m still waiting for my physical licence. I applied in person in the second week of January. Received a letter from them in mid February asking me to get a check code from DVLA. I emailed check code to them on 25th Feb.
    Applied for mine online on 30th December, sent license off a week later, got a text saying it was in progress on January 20th. Not heard anything since, so has been 9 weeks so far. I don;t understand why they didn't give a 6 month extension for using UK licenses if they are having issues with processing due to covid.

Those waiting times are not promising. Out of interest, are you driving using the NDLS receipt? The NDLS website says that you can drive with it, however the wording on the receipt says "cannot be used in place of a Driving Licence /Learner Permit", suggesting that you cannot.

Duzzie wrote: »
    Those waiting times are not promising. Out of interest, are you driving using the NDLS receipt? The NDLS website says that you can drive with it, however the wording on the receipt says "cannot be used in place of a Driving Licence /Learner Permit", suggesting that you cannot.

I'm driving to the supermarket using the receipt but definitely am not going beyond my 5km without a license. I have an essential need to drive in the UK for a few weeks at the start of April and don;t know how I can do that without a license. If it takes much longer I may just reactivate my UK one.

I know they warned there would be a backlog if we didn;t exchange in time but some of us only recently moved to Ireland and didn;t know whether we would be living in the Uk or Ireland post brexit until the finalised the terms.

Yep I’m driving on my receipt which has my driving licence number on it. My old uk licence was photocopied by the ndls centre and attached to the receipt. She said to keep it in the car and if I was stopped just to show them that and it would be fine.

I’m a named driver on my husbands van insurance. It was renewed last month and I emailed them all docs including the receipt and uk licence. I said in email that I would forward copy of actual Irish licence once I received it. They never replied saying I wasn’t insured to drive so they must be accepting it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emergencylime

Eugh, i sent my UK license off Dec 22nd, and tracking said it was received 23rd. I haven’t even had a request for a DVLA check code yet...is that something everyone gets?

All I’ve had in the last 11 weeks is a text saying do not contact them due to delays.

I may need to drive at some point in the next few months so i’m hoping they’ll be able to get staff levels up again in April if restrictions are revised.

• Advertisement

FYI

A DVLA check code expires after 21 days. Mine will expire on 17th March.

The letter I received from ndls said to email or post the code to them but the letter didn’t have an email address on it. I was apprehensive about posting as I knew there were delays in an post. I used the contact section on the ndls site asking for email address. Then I forgot about it until I received the same letter again from ndls regarding dvla code.

I found the contact email myself online (info@ndls.ie), applied for check code then emailed details within 15 mins (also telling them when check code generated). I received an auto response.

Edit: I don’t know if it makes a difference with regards to check code if you have a Northern Ireland licence. My licence was issued from Swansea.

Eugh, i sent my UK license off Dec 22nd, and tracking said it was received 23rd. I haven’t even had a request for a DVLA check code yet...is that something everyone gets?

All I’ve had in the last 11 weeks is a text saying do not contact them due to delays.

I may need to drive at some point in the next few months so i’m hoping they’ll be able to get staff levels up again in April if restrictions are revised.

I am wondering if they only need the check code since 1st January, post brexit. Looks like they've decided you need an eyesight check now too, which wasn't on the list of things I was asked to send in. I am wondering if they apply these requirements to applications submitted in 2020.

I'm going back to the Uk for a couple of months in 2 weeks, so if there's no movement this week I'm going to get a new license from dvla and potentially start this again once I come back. I don't understand why they can;t communicate any update on how long the process is taking. There are some great things about Ireland but the service levels of some of the government agencies are dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I am wondering if they only need the check code since 1st January, post brexit. Looks like they've decided you need an eyesight check now too, which wasn't on the list of things I was asked to send in. I am wondering if they apply these requirements to applications submitted in 2020.

I'm going back to the Uk for a couple of months in 2 weeks, so if there's no movement this week I'm going to get a new license from dvla and potentially start this again once I come back. I don't understand why they can;t communicate any update on how long the process is taking. There are some great things about Ireland but the service levels of some of the government agencies are dreadful.

The eye test requirement has always been there, you must have over looked it. (No pun intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I’m just glad I did mine 2 years ago rather than leaving it too late.

The eye test requirement has always been there, you must have over looked it. (No pun intended)
    I never required the eye test when I transferred the licence a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I never required the eye test when I transferred the licence a couple of years ago.

I did. I’m almost 100% positive it’s a requirement for all first time permit/licence holders in the state

Edit: “Fully completed eyesight report is required from 1 Jan 2021 unless application is accompanied by a medical report”

I think that’s just been updated in terms of the date but I definitely had an eye test to exchange my own

I did. I’m almost 100% positive it’s a requirement for all first time permit/licence holders in the state
    Yes for 1st time drivers and exchanges from outside the EU, but not for exchanges of licences with other EU members.
    Edit; maybe the rules have changed and now apply for all exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

MrsD swapped her licence around November 2020 and wasn't asked for one.

Me neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 emergencylime

I'm happy to report that I got an email today saying my application was successful and being processed.

No requirement for DVLA check code or eye test as they received my application before Jan 1st.

They say to allow 3 weeks for delivery, so roll on April and I can go buy a hooptie!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MotoTourist

Duckjob wrote: »
    MrsD swapped her licence around November 2020 and wasn't asked for one.

The eye sight test was not required for swapping a uk license for Irish before 1st Jan 21.

Post Brexit it became a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MotoTourist

I'm happy to report that I got an email today saying my application was successful and being processed.

No requirement for DVLA check code or eye test as they received my application before Jan 1st.

They say to allow 3 weeks for delivery, so roll on April and I can go buy a hooptie!

I had a face to face appointment 5th Jan 21 to swap my uk license and the Irish one arrived in about 12 days iirc.

I had to provide either an eye test for car only, or a medical report if for trucks too. I chose the latter. The doctor didn't check my eyesight, I simply confirmed I don't need glasses.

An eye test would have shown up any deficiency in vision but I inadvertently avoided that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Just received a text that my licence has been dispatched and should be with me in a few days. I applied at the end of February. l wasn't asked for a DVLA check code, which surprised me. 2 months is still far to long though.

Just received a text that my licence has been dispatched and should be with me in a few days. I applied at the end of February. l wasn't asked for a DVLA check code, which surprised me. 2 months is still far to long though.

Mine was done in a week or less.

Went to centre and handed documents over, piece of cake.

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Mine was done in a week or less.

Went to centre and handed documents over, piece of cake.
    I did the same, took all my documents to my local NDLS office. They had told me that it could take up to 6 weeks but it took longer for some reason. I was never asked for any additional information so they had all that they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

trying to get my NI licence transferred before the end of the year, specsavers require me to have another eye test, my last one was less than a year ago, in order to sign the form. Did anyone manage to get it signed without the need for a test? Or go to their Drs? I could understand if I was saying that I didn't need glasses and this needs confirmed but openly admitting to wearing glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Why do they make things so complicated. My partner holds a UK licence and while on holiday in Croatia to hire a car, was requested to have an International Driving Licence/Permit, I think the licence was issued in Girbraltar! So I hired the car using my Irish Licence (I also had an IDP from a US Trip, which I kinda waved at them).

Dunno if this is post-brexit which they seemed to indicate it was, since i know a UK Licence from the North was accepted by a guy we met there!

I think it is cutting off your nose to spite your face for EU countries not to fully acknowledge UK driving licences, or make it more hassle for them to hire cars etc. since they would just lose business.

Advertisement