Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK licence after Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

bmr1984 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether we'll be able to keep a UK license and apply for an Irish one post-Brexit? I live here (technically) but work in London and I'd really like to keep my UK license as an official form of ID. If they leave the EU, we should in theory be allowed apply for a Learner Permit here right? The lessons, test etc would be annoying but I'd get over it.

Yes, my understanding is that you will be able to start again here in Ireland. Not an option I fancied so recently swopped my old paper UK licence for an Irish one. Wasn't prepared to take the chance of having to re-sit car, truck and bike tests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bmr1984 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether we'll be able to keep a UK license and apply for an Irish one post-Brexit? I live here (technically) but work in London and I'd really like to keep my UK license as an official form of ID. If they leave the EU, we should in theory be allowed apply for a Learner Permit here right? The lessons, test etc would be annoying but I'd get over it.

I would rather have EU license if possible.

Lessons and tests are not just annoying, but costly and could affect your job etc.

You can use your Irish license as an ID, too. I would swap it if I could rather than wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Its my understanding you have to surrender your UK licence to get a Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Its my understanding you have to surrender your UK licence to get a Irish one.

Only if you want to swap for one with the same classes etc. as far as I know. My understanding is that there is nothing stopping you sitting tests in both jurisdictions and holding separate licences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

C3PO wrote: »
    Only if you want to swap for one with the same classes etc. as far as I know. My understanding is that there is nothing stopping you sitting tests in both jurisdictions and holding separate licences?

You can't legally hold two EEA licences. If and when the UK exits the EU, the situation may change in regard to specifically holding a UK licence in combination with an EU licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

C3PO wrote: »

Each EU country is required to enact a law making it an offence to apply for a learner permit while concurrently holding a valid licence for the same class issued by another member state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bmr1984

Marcusm wrote: »
    Each EU country is required to enact a law making it an offence to apply for a learner permit while concurrently holding a valid licence for the same class issued by another member state.

But post-Brexit the UK won't be a member state. Maybe they'll be treated like a Recognised State and then one might be able to hold two licenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

Does anyone know what the latest position on this is now there's a deal? I'm resident in Ireland but there's a fair chance I'll be moving back to the UK for my work by the end of 2021, so don't really want to exchange my UK license if I can help it and I haven't been in Ireland for most of 2020 due to covid. Is my UK license not going to be recognised after 31st December so I need to apply by Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Does anyone know what the latest position on this is now there's a deal? I'm resident in Ireland but there's a fair chance I'll be moving back to the UK for my work by the end of 2021, so don't really want to exchange my UK license if I can help it and I haven't been in Ireland for most of 2020 due to covid. Is my UK license not going to be recognised after 31st December so I need to apply by Thursday?

My understanding of it is that if you are resident in Ireland (normally 180+ days in the year) or maybe if you’re paying taxes here your UK license needs to be exchanged. You can drive here on a UK license when visiting but in the event of you being involved in a collision there would certainly be some serious consequences coming your way. It might be a pain in the balls but I’d be doing it.
    Also, as you’ve left it so late ie. the transition period will end, you’d technically be without a license whilst the exchange process is ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 food eater of food

Just about to mail off my UK license for the swap. Can anyone tell me if I need to send both the card license and paper counterpart? Or is it just one of them?

Cheers in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Surely NI residents csn use their licence down here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Yes if they are visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

But it would still be a UK licence,if from NI but a resident in the Republic i would have thought the same would apply, if visiting it will fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

In light of the Brexit Agreement is it still a necessity to change over the driving licence or did the powers that be come to some sort of agreement?

sayno wrote: »
    In light of the Brexit Agreement is it still a necessity to change over the driving licence or did the powers that be come to some sort of agreement?

no word of any agreement, meaning UK license can't be used by an Irish resident after tommorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Just about to mail off my UK license for the swap. Can anyone tell me if I need to send both the card license and paper counterpart? Or is it just one of them?

Cheers in advance

youve to send both parts, the paper part holds the endorsements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Isambard wrote: »
    no word of any agreement, meaning UK license can't be used by an Irish resident after tommorrow

It's up to each EU nation state to allow, extend or reject UK licences (for residents) after tomorrow. For example, France has extended acceptance by a year, Sweden has fully allowed UK licences but Ireland has decided to invalidate UK licences after tomorrow.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    It's up to each EU nation state to allow, extend or reject UK licences (for residents) after tomorrow. For example, France has extended acceptance by a year, Sweden has fully allowed UK licences but Ireland has decided to invalidate UK licences after tomorrow.

Actually, 'invalidate' is the wrong word - I meant "not recognise" within Ireland. The UK license continues to remain a valid driving document for residents in many EU states after tomorrow.

Actually, 'invalidate' is the wrong word - I meant "not recognise" within Ireland. The UK license continues to remain a valid driving document for residents in many EU states after tomorrow.
    Sounds more like incompitance as opposed to a deliberate act to make UK (including NI) licences invalid.

What are they going to do, close the border roads for all NI vehicles on 1st Jan?

• Advertisement

Sounds more like incompitance as opposed to a deliberate act to make UK (including NI) licences invalid.

What are they going to do, close the border roads for all NI vehicles on 1st Jan?

Most people have a licence that matches their residency. Driving temporarily across the border will be unaffected.

This issue only effects EU resident UK licence holders. Conversely, for UK resident EU licence holders there is no change as the UK accepts all valid EU licences indefinitely.

which is different to what I said how?

UK license holders resident in Ireland were advised months ago to change their licences. Not sure how that makes Irish Officials incompetent. Visitors from the North are not affected, it's only Residents will have no valid license and thus I assume no Insurance.

Isambard wrote: »
    Visitors from the North are not affected, it's only Residents will have no valid license and thus I assume no Insurance.

it's different because I wasn't quoting you, iwhereas you were quoting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

They don't need to, it's only if you are resident in Ireland

Link to NDLS
    I live in Northern Ireland and hold a UK/NI licence but travel to work daily to the Republic of Ireland and drive a vehicle as part of my work in the Republic of Ireland. Can I continue to drive on my UK/NI licence after the UK has left the EU?
    Yes, as a resident of Northern Ireland, you can continue to make this journey to work and drive for your work duties in the Republic of Ireland on your UK/NI licence. International law covering driving licences provide for such journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

kaahooters wrote: »

Cheers in advance
    youve to send both parts, the paper part holds the endorsements.

Just the photocard will do. The paper counterpart was scrapped way back in 2015. All endorsements held centrally by DVLA on computer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes
    The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

https://www.thejournal.ie/uk-licence-exchange-ireland-2021-5313889-Dec2020/

Being able to exchange UK licences for Irish ones has just been extended past the 31 Dec 2020 deadline.

Good news for those yet to exchange their licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm curious to know if its just Ireland that will not recognise UK licences for those resident in Ireland, based on reports yesterday it would appear we are the only European country taking this approach. Are UK citizens living throughout Europe, (there must be 10"s of thousands) facing such rules. Indeed there' must be 1000"s of Irish citizens with UK licenses living throughout Europe, will they too be required to exchange licenses for those of countries they reside in?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if its just Ireland that will not recognise UK licences for those resident in Ireland, based on reports yesterday it would appear we are the only European country taking this approach. Are UK citizens living throughout Europe, (there must be 10"s of thousands) facing such rules.

UK licence-holders living in France have until 31-12-2021 to exchange them for a French/EU licence.

https://www.thejournal.ie/uk-licence-exchange-ireland-2021-5313889-Dec2020/

Being able to exchange UK licences for Irish ones has just been extended past the 31 Dec 2020 deadline.

Good news for those yet to exchange their licence.

except they can't legally drive in the meantime

"However, anyone living in Ireland who has not yet exchanged their UK licence will no longer have a valid licence to drive here after tonight’s deadline.

The UK licence will only be valid for exchange purposes and the department said “it is imperative that it be exchanged immediately” "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Are they purposely leaving out that international drivers license holders can drive on those licenses up until their 1 year anniversary of moving to the state. Or have we become extremely petty and blocked new residents from driving on UK licenses completely?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html#lce962
    Citizens Advice seems to be black and white that if you move here and hold a UK licence you can only exhange it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

User142 wrote: »
    Are they purposely leaving out that international drivers license holders can drive on those licenses up until their 1 year anniversary of moving to the state. Or have we become extremely petty and blocked new residents from driving on UK licenses completely?

It doesn't say that it says "If your licence was issued in a country that is not in the EU, EEA or the list of recognised states, and you hold a national driving licence and an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit".

If you have moved, then your visit is not temporary, even if it is in within 12 months. Now you could probably blag your way out of this, depending on you situation e.g. your job is on probation for the first 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm curious to know if its just Ireland that will not recognise UK licences for those resident in Ireland, based on reports yesterday it would appear we are the only European country taking this approach. Are UK citizens living throughout Europe, (there must be 10"s of thousands) facing such rules. Indeed there' must be 1000"s of Irish citizens with UK licenses living throughout Europe, will they too be required to exchange licenses for those of countries they reside in?

Its a mess in Spain as well and I would think a whole lot of EU countries will have similar systems in preparation.

https://www.thelocal.es/20201116/brexit-update-spain-introduces-new-process-for-british-driving-licence-swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

pawdee wrote: »
    Not if they can make a few bob from application fees and renewals every 10 (or is it 5 ?) years! It's not something I had to think about up to now. Anyway it looks like I better get my skates on.
    Did you get around to do this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

UK citizens who are resident in EU and EEA countries and who have up to now been driving on a UK licence will need to exchange it for a licence in their country of residence. It's up to national authorities to decide how long they have to do that, what the rules for doing it are (e.g. do they have to restest?), and what their status in the meantime is (e.g. can they drive on a UK licence in the meantime?). The rules will vary from country to country but, of course, an individual UK citizen only needs to check the rules for the country in which he resides.

Irish citizens who reside in other EU/EEA countries and who have up to now been driving on a UK licence are in the same situation - they need an EU/EEA licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

How long is it taking to process exchanges? I've been waiting for 7 weeks now and I need my license for an essential journey soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

How long is it taking to process exchanges? I've been waiting for 7 weeks now and I need my license for an essential journey soon.

Mine was really quick, but then I did it two years ago when it was originally advised to do so.

I done mine a couple of weeks ago. The lady told me to expect it to be at least 5 weeks as the old licence has to be validated by dvla first.

Do you not have a receipt with your new license number on it? I had to go into one of the centres as I wanted it put into my married name so the lady I saw photocopied my old licence and that’s attached to the receipt with my new IRE licence number should I be stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

A work colleague getting an Irish renewal had been told at least 5 weeks wait for licence so happening all over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

What’s to stop someone from just starting over and taking the irish test and getting a fresh irish licence while holding on to their UK one? Surely not illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

portcrap wrote: »
    What’s to stop someone from just starting over and taking the irish test and getting a fresh irish licence while holding on to their UK one? Surely not illegal?
    Not illegal, assuming they are resident in Ireland. But their UK licence may well have lapsed if they have ceased to be resident in the UK for long enough — simple possession of a licence document doesn't mean that the licence is still valid if one of the conditions of issue is no longer satisfied. In practice the invalidity of the licence document wouldn't be picked up on a casual inspection, but it might have implications for, e.g., the validity of any insurance that you might effect on the basis of the UK licence being in force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

@Portcrap - Absolutely nothing....except possibly the 12 mandatory lessons you need to take and the 1 yr waiting list for a test (not theory, the practical bit), according to Conor Faughnan (AA) this morning on Newstalk.

1 hr lesson = €40? - €480 for 12 lessons...?

Spiteful nonsense.

In fairness there was enough warning about it.

In fairness there was enough warning about it.

It's complete nonsense designed to inconvenience people just for the sake of it. I suppose anything that proves Brexit is a bad idea is worth it.

It's complete nonsense designed to inconvenience people just for the sake of it. I suppose anything that proves Brexit is a bad idea is worth it.

One of the benefits of the EU was driving licences were able to be used freely. I drove, here, on my Scottish licence for 18 years. I changed it over almost 2 years ago. The UK licences are now being treated the same way a licence would be treated from any other country not in the EU and with an exchange agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Spiteful nonsense.

How is it spiteful nonsense?

Why should someone with a UK Driving License get preference over someone with an Australian Driving license?

People had plenty of notice and this is a consequence of Brexit, Ireland or other EU Countries did not initiate anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭CiboC

It's complete nonsense designed to inconvenience people just for the sake of it.

No it's not.

It's the result of a decision to withdraw from an extremely complex relationship part of which involved the automatic recognition of qualifactions and official documentation issued by one state in another state.

• Advertisement

Don't let convenience get in the way of bureaucracy.

Advertisement