Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool 24/2/2019 k/o 14.05 Sky

• 21-02-2019 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

skysports-manchester-united-liverpool-super-sunday-sky-sports-live_3868613.jpg?20170112120705

Now that the cup competitions are done with for another few weeks it's time to focus on league business and the big one is Manchester United v Liverpool.There's more than bragging rights at stake here but let's get the show started early as everyone is focusing on this game.
    Let's hope with United's return to an attacking style after Jose's containment game we'll actually see some football on Sunday.

Despite a Champions League hiccup, it's been an otherwise dream start to managerial life for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United.

After accruing 25 points across his first nine Premier League games in charge, a draw or a win against Liverpool on Sunday would see Solskjaer set a record for most points picked up by a manager in their first 10 matches in the competition.

Though the Reds loom as tough opposition, United boast a distinct home ground advantage having won seven of their last nine league outings against Liverpool at Old Trafford.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

And who are you up for yourself? Hard to tell.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm going to leave it open.........for now.

Odds on this will be closed before K/O though, given how these threads usually go.

>>

<<

CumBayah...

Love can build a bridge...

Ebony and ivory, together in perfect harmony...

If these boyos can talk about the football for a while, maybe we can too...

Compliments - Wijnaldum has turned into quite the midfielder under Klopp. I honestly didn't think the player had that high a ceiling while watching him at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The real question here is can Ebbsy get through the weekend without a yellow or red card.

8 in 2018.

For what it's worth United are not on the same planet as Liverpool, their defence is weak and I expect mighty Mo to fill his boots. Mane will probably get a couple as well.

0-4

YNWA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Let's all try be friends and get along can't be that hard.

I think pool will win this coming straight after there long sun break and rest and dominating Bayern to a 0-0 draw they will be too fresh for a United team that's still adapting and playing games in 3 competions just hold their nerve and they go 3 points clear again into the home stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lets start with combined 11s that usually ends well

ebbsy wrote: »
    The real question here is can Ebbsy get through the weekend without a yellow or red card.

8 in 2018.

YNWA

Don't act a dick and I'm sure you will survive.

Bang on with your predictions too pool are favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

T
    For what it's worth United are not on the same planet as Liverpool,

Fair play. We were all wondering why ye lost yer last 3 European Finals and not won a trophy in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yes pool are clear favorites here

Should be looking to expose a poor United defence and strangle our attack minus lingard and martial. If our attack even half functions and gets past the best defender in the world in VVD they'll find it heard to beat the world's best keeper.

I'd expect the best attacking full backs in the premiership to keep ours pinned back in our half and the attacking trio of Salah, mane and fun Bobby to score at least one each capitalising on the pressure they'll put on a poor United defence.

0-4 to Liverpool for me and the solskjaer bubble to be well and truly burst

ebbsy wrote:
    For what it's worth United are not on the same planet as Liverpool,

Pretty sure we're all on planet Earth the last time I checked, but I might be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

8 in 2018.

For what it's worth United are not on the same planet as Liverpool, their defence is weak and I expect mighty Mo to fill his boots. Mane will probably get a couple as well.

0-4

YNWA

Considering Mighty Mo couldn't fill anything in the reverse fixture even though United were at their lowest ebb at that point, thats some wonderful optimism there sir. All going well it will have blown up massively in your face by around 16:00 or so on Sunday.

Biggest test thus far for Ole's United. Despite amusingly bullish posts like the above that would make one think Liverpool were some kind of behemoth, they have been stuttering and spluttering since December. Up to then they were averaging around 3 goals per game, in the last 8 or 9 games they have only scored more than two goals twice.

United have conceded 9 in 13 games so the defence isn't that porous, Liverpool have conceded 10 in the same period.

One thing that is certain, United wont set up as they did in the last game so I wouldn't bet against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

brinty wrote: »
    Yes pool are clear favorites here

Should be looking to expose a poor United defence and strangle our attack minus lingard and martial. If our attack even half functions and gets past the best defender in the world in VVD they'll find it heard to beat the world's best keeper.

I'd expect the best attacking full backs in the premiership to keep ours pinned back in our half and the attacking trio of Salah, mane and fun Bobby to score at least one each capitalising on the pressure they'll put on a poor United defence.

0-4 to Liverpool for me and the solskjaer bubble to be will and truly burst

Bobby must be injured considering he parks in disabled spaces. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

going to be a cracker! good for the neutrals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

5star02707 wrote: »
    going to be a cracker! good for the neutrals

0-0 draw.. Advantage Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

5-0 united. Easy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

sky88 wrote: »
    Lets start with combined 11s that usually ends well

As a neutral:

DDG,
    Robertson, VVD, Bailly, Trent
    Gigi, Pogba, Herrara
    Rashford Salah Martial

astradave wrote:
    0-0 draw.. Advantage Liverpool

Do away goals count double?

gstack166 wrote:
    As a neutral:

Allison
    Robertson, VVD, Fabinho, Trent
    Gigi, Henderson,Milner
    Salah Bobby Mane/quote]

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

gstack166 wrote: »
    As a neutral:

DDG,
    Robertson, VVD, Bailly, Trent
    Gigi, Pogba, Herrara
    Rashford Salah Martial

Are you sure you are a neutral??

No way should Rashford or Herrara be in that team.

Mane all day long at least over Rashford & Herrara is very overrattedin my opinion. Bailly is a liability too.

The only three deserving United players on current form in the combined eleven would be DDG, Pogba & Martial

Are you sure you are a neutral??

No way should Rashford or Herrara be in that team.

Mane all day long at least over Rashford & Herrara is very overrattedin my opinion. Bailly is a liability too.

The only three deserving United players on current form in the combined eleven would be DDG, Pogba & Martial

I was picking on form. It’s all opinions! But, no way can you proclaim Martial to be in better form than Rashford atm.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Do away goals count double?

Has to be a wind up that call surely? Was told before Talksport have a calling list that they prepare people with to ring in with stupid statements such as that one & get paid for them?

They generate the money off sponsors and adverts off it through the clicks and views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I was picking on form. It’s all opinions! But, no way can you proclaim Martial to be in better form than Rashford atm.

If you were picking of form you'd have to pick Mane. He's been much better than Salah or Firmino over the past month anyway.

If you were picking of form you'd have to pick Mane. He's been much better than Salah or Firmino over the past month anyway.

Yeah that’s a fair point, can only imagine the replies if I left Salah our though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TAA hasn't played in 2 months due to injury that is great form. So switching sides him and Robbo is also a great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Should be a cracker. Allways a hostile one too. Tv company’s will have to kill the mics to stop the fans emotions spilling over on live TV. I said previously there a “José sized double decker bus” hole in our team and PSG exploited it fairly handily last week with defenders filling in across the middle of the pitch.. I expect Liverpool to do the same. If we ride out the initial flurry I see a 2-1 pool win. If they score early we could be in trouble tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah that’s a fair point, can only imagine the replies if I left Salah our though :D

Yeah can't really leave Salah out. Not been great lately but still joint top scorer in the league with Aguero.

TAA hasn't played in 2 months due to injury that is great form. So switching sides him and Robbo is also a great.

Unless he’s unable to walk, he gets in ahead of Young for me.

Unless he’s unable to walk, he gets in ahead of Young for me.

And he wasn't he was in a cast.

Also a bold choice playing him at Left Back a position he doesn't play ahead of the best left back in the league Robbo who
    you moved to Right Back.

I’m talking about for this Sunday.

• Advertisement

I’m talking about for this Sunday.

Oh backtrack away lad it alright.

Also a bold choice playing him at Left Back a position he doesn't play ahead of the best left back in the league Robbo who you moved to Right Back.

Pedantic pay and that is that..

Was pretty obvious he didn't mean to put them there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

2-0 united

Back to next year predictions i fear

Pogba to dominate

Oh backtrack away lad it alright.

Where was the back track. I stated unless he’s unable to walk he gets in the team for me. Seeing as he’s fit & will be in the squad for Sunday what have I to back track on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I have absolutely no idea how this will turn out. and that frightens the fúck out of me.

No Martial or Lingard is a big deal. i don't fear Sanchez and Lukaku's movement in the same way.

IMO, the key to the game is midfield. Utd will aim to turn it into a midfield battle, and trust that Pogba's dynamism can make the difference. Liverpool will trust that they can pen Utd through pressure down the sides and our wing backs, winning enough good second balls in midfield in order to set our front 3 going.

If you watch the Chelsea/Utd cup game - that is close to the template to how Ole will hope to beat Liverpool. Matic and Herrera keep things stable in front of the back 4, and hope that Pogba can create a moment.

Liverpool's biggest game of the season so far.
    Ole's biggest game so far - if Utd win this game, he'll get the Utd job IMO.

there will be goals. that is all I'm sure of. i'm going to say Liverpool eek out a 2-1, but I'm not confident at all. I'm going with that on the basis that we have VVD and I just don't trust that Utd back 4. but i'm ready to be made look foolish, and i make the prediction perfectly happy to accept a draw on Sunday if that's what we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mata on the false 9 with Lukaku and Rashford buzzing around him like the Chelsea game is the only way United have a chance. Though chucking Rashford on the left where he made a fool of TAA last season could be a good shout. Be interesting to see the setup and if Pogba can remain disciplined in such a big game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Liverpool May try to man mark pogba like PSG game
    No news on martial Lingard yet ??
    Mane seems to be playing best of front three for Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Michael Oliver to ruin a good match with another soft penalty for Salah.

I think one of Martial or Lingard will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Toobz wrote: »
    Michael Oliver to ruin a good match with another soft penalty for Salah.

I think one of Martial or Lingard will start.

That would be good though because that would mean that he would have to try even it up for the rest of the game and United would win out overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

2-0 united

Back to next year predictions i fear

Pogba to dominate

Even at his best I don't think Pogba dominates ,
    Like Chelsea the other week he gave a beautiful ball for the goal then scored but in between did sweet FA , he can certainly decide a game but I can't seem him dominating ,

I think 2-0 but not sure to who ,

1st goal in any game is big but in this is feel its massive ,
    If Liverpool get it the will feel unstoppable and I think United players will fear it will end up like PSG

If United get it there confidence will be sky high as recent results have show and the nerves of recent weeks will multiply in Liverpool

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Welcome to the thread, please choose from the following reply options:

1) I am a United fan, s***ting it but full of bravado that I will tailor to make look like I'm possibly not serious

2) I am a Liverpool fan, s***ting it but full of bravado that I will tailor to make look like I'm possibly not serious

3) I am a United or Liverpool fan, the sensible type, willing to cede that the other side are superior and may win (but I am also s***ting myself and hoping my team utterly destroy the other).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

spockety wrote: »

1) I am a United fan, s***ting it but full of bravado that I will tailor to make look like I'm possibly not serious

2) I am a Liverpool fan, s***ting it but full of bravado that I will tailor to make look like I'm possibly not serious

3) I am a United or Liverpool fan, the sensible type, willing to cede that the other side are superior and may win (but I am also s***ting myself and hoping my team utterly destroy the other).

Feck off with your talking sense here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

spockety wrote: »

Jurgen better bring sudocrem for the pool player's arses
    After united spank them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Fair play for opening the thread. You'll either be a villain or hero by the full time whistle.
    I'd genuinely take a draw if offered despite the fact it will hurt our title tilt. Of course if Liverpool can bounce one in off the bar in the 93rd minute for the win I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just call the game a cup final and hey presto it'll be a classic United from Monday will edge the match vs Liverpool from Tuesday isolate the threats and break down the defence to get this by 2-0

IN DDG WE TRUST

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Also a bold choice playing him at Left Back a position he doesn't play ahead of the best left back in the league Robbo who
    you moved to Right Back.

Maybe he's playing the inverted fullback formation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wasn't there some sort of rule about these threads - namely that no matter when they are opened they get closed until the day before the game?

Wasn't there some sort of rule about these threads - namely that no matter when they are opened they get closed until the day before the game?

I'm sure you will find a rule to have it shut down if you don't like it Harry to just about everyone else they don't mind having it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If its all above board and doesnt go down the pot with nit picking and name calling, I've no issue allowing it to remain open.

The real fun wont start until after the final whistle anyway, thats when its time to abandon ship.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The real fun wont start until after the final whistle anyway, thats when its time to abandon ship.

No idea what your talking about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Fair play for opening the thread. You'll either be a villain or hero by the full time whistle.
    I'd genuinely take a draw if offered despite the fact it will hurt our title tilt. Of course if Liverpool can bounce one in off the bar in the 93rd minute for the win I'll take it.

A great quote from a journo I thoroughly agree with:- there's no such thing as dropped points at Old Trafford unless we drop all 3. Any point earned there is a point gained. We've a horrible record there and against them in general, sign me up for the draw right now.

It'd be a point ahead of City level on games played. Sunday is just another game in a long line of games, nothing is won or lost this Sunday regardless of people on the either side try to make it out like that.

And here endeth my visits to this thread or any other thread until sometime way way after the game, unless Liverpool win :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement