Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool 24/2/2019 k/o 14.05 Sky

Comments

I like gimli

Great poster

Shame he's a Liverpool fan :P

Come on Utd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm sure you will find a rule to have it shut down if you don't like it Harry to just about everyone else they don't mind having it open.

Stop being mean jayo26

Poor harry will take it to heart and find a different rule to sort you out 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Stop being mean jayo26

Poor harry will take it to heart and find a different rule to sort you out 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I'm being nice will you stop making people thinking I'm being mean!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

This is a game where United could do with Mourinho's containment. If they opt for a more open and attacking game they'll be well beat, Liverpool will carve their defence open. Its a work in progress going up against a well oiled machine, and after the gaps PSG exposed, this may very well be a rout

This is a game where United could do with Mourinho's containment. If they opt for a more open and attacking game they'll be well beat, Liverpool will carve their defence open. Its a work in progress going up against a well oiled machine, and after the gaps PSG exposed, this may very well be a rout

Your dead right that well oiled machine is just so powerful they will overwhelm United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Your dead right that well oiled machine is just so powerful they will overwhelm United.

Like in December you mean?

Like in December you mean?

Yep exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

100% correct. If only we had the world's greatest player ever ever ever in Ronaldo playing we be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd be less confident if Mourinho was manager, he loves these games something as a pool fan I know all too well. I'll be hoping Ole does "go for it" as the front 3 will have a field day.

Like Pogba for United, firmino is the key player. If he plays well Liverpool play well

I'm predicting a tense 1-1 though.

• Advertisement

Yeah really fearing the pool front 3 now to be fair they have destroyed crystal palace, Brighton and Bournemouth in the last 2 months let's just hope they go easy on us and the ones that failed to win against City,wolves,Leicester, West Ham and Bayern show up.

I just heard that Salah has 1 goal in all games v Top 6 opposition so far this season. That bodes well for United...lump on for a Salah hat-trick.

I just heard that Salah has 1 goal in all games v Top 6 opposition so far this season. That bodes well for United...lump on for a Salah hat-trick.

It's only a matter of time sure he is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yeah really fearing the pool front 3 now to be fair they have destroyed crystal palace, Brighton and Bournemouth in the last 2 months let's just hope they go easy on us and the ones that failed to win against City,wolves,Leicester, West Ham and Bayern show up.

You posted in this thread 'don't act like a d1ck' it was sound advice imo.

You posted in this thread 'don't act like a d1ck' it was sound advice imo.

Care to explain? Should we just focus on the positives of the Liverpool team and ignore that they have been bang average against poor sides for two months?

If you think that what i post is been a dick there is no hope for ya!!! I would call been a dick calling out posters that don't post on a thread and calling them names that would be my idea of been a dick or been a dick would be calling players abusive names that could also be excessive.

Liverpool have the potential to blow United away I simply said I hope the version that's turned up for the majority games in the past two months turn up why would I not what that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Care to explain? Should we just focus on the positives of the Liverpool team and ignore that they have been bang average against poor sides for two months?

If you think that what i post is been a dick there is no hope for ya!!! I would call been a dick calling out posters that don't post on a thread and calling them names that would be my idea of been a dick or been a dick would be calling players abusive names that could also be excessive.

Liverpool have the potential to blow United away I simply said I hope the version that's turned up for the majority games in the past two months turn up why would I not what that!!!!

Your posts are dripping in sarcasm, poor attempts at being funny imo.

You can make a point about Liverpools shortcomings in a way that's not coming across as childish drivel.

• Advertisement

Your posts are dripping in sarcasm, poor attempts at being funny imo.

You can make a point about Liverpools shortcomings in a way that's not coming across as childish drivel.

That's the problem with text you can't quiet get a full meaning of a post by just reading text!! Eitherway sorry if you thought sarcasm was been a dick...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Correct, and that was a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bit but but lukaku can't do it against the big 6 is what we're always told isn't it...

gstack166 wrote:
    Correct, and that was a penalty.

Shhhhhhhhhhh
    You're not allowed make factually statements like that gstack
    Salah is up there with Messi and Ronaldo if not better than both of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

brinty wrote: »
    Shhhhhhhhhhh
    You're not allowed make factually statements like that gstack
    Salah is up there with Messi and Ronaldo if not better than both of them

Make of this what you will but Mohamed Salah this season:

Against big teams (PL top 6, PSG, Napoli and Bayern): 13 games, 2 goals

Against the rest: 22 games, 18 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

gstack166 wrote: »
    Make of this what you will but Mohamed Salah this season:

Against big teams (PL top 6, PSG, Napoli and Bayern): 13 games, 2 goals

Against the rest: 22 games, 18 goals

Blasphemy, when are we holding the thou shalt not speak about Salah referendum.

On a more serious note, I do believe a lot if this is 2nd season premier league adaption. Top teams are doubling up or sitting deeper to nullify him. However the tag teaming does provide a lot of space for Mane and Firminio to run into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On a more serious note, I do believe a lot if this is 2nd season premier league adaption. Top teams are doubling up or sitting deeper to nullify him. However the tag teaming does provide a lot of space for Mane and Firminio to run into

Yeah, it's no coincidence that in those challenging games against top PL and CL teams Mane and Firmino have 9 between them. Salah occupies other teams best defenders, and buys space and time for his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Second part - spot on. The amount of space Mane is being afforded this year seems more than last, and he's reaping the benefits (in terms of chances, if not always his finishing). Doesn't explain Firmino's dip in form though, unfortunately.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Second part - spot on. The amount of space Mane is being afforded this year seems more than last, and he's reaping the benefits (in terms of chances, if not always his finishing). Doesn't explain Firmino's dip in form though, unfortunately.

Don't you should say that because Mane has only scored two against the top clues also firminho scored 4 or 5.

Bobby has an almost 1 in 2 record against the top teams though - his 'dip' is more one of circumstance than form. Against lesser teams, he's been playing deeper as a link man, with Salah top and centre banging in the goals. In the big games, he's been the one taking most advantage of Salah being tied up.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Salah occupies other teams best defenders, and buys space and time for his teammates.

You'd never hear Ronaldo our Messi being defended using that line
    Or Harry Kane or Sergio Aguero

You'd never hear Ronaldo our Messi being defended using that line
    Or Harry Kane or Sergio Aguero

So....?

What's any of this got to do with any of them?

It's a fairly simple statement that when he doesn't score in big games, he does plenty of other work, and others (and the team as a whole) benefit from that. Why do you need to make it some sort of abstracted comparison?

Don't you should say that because Mane has only scored two against the top clues also firminho scored 4 or 5.

I did mention his finishing not being great - for the amount of chances he gets he should have a lot more goals.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Bobby has an almost 1 in 2 record against the top teams though - his 'dip' is more one of circumstance than form. Against lesser teams, he's been playing deeper as a link man, with Salah top and centre banging in the goals. In the big games, he's been the one taking most advantage of Salah being tied up.

He's not been bad, not saying that at all, just not really hitting the highs of last year, same as Salah, in fairness. If they do hit full speed for the run-in (hopefully), hold onto your hat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Toughest game to call in a long time.

1-1 or 1-0 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So....?

What's any of this got to do with any of them?

It's a fairly simple statement that when he doesn't score in big games, he does plenty of other work, and others (and the team as a whole) benefit from that. Why do you need to make it some sort of abstracted comparison?

The point he's making is that you'd be arguing against it if it was Kane/Aguero etc blanking in the big games but because it's Salah it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bit but but lukaku can't do it against the big 6 is what we're always told isn't it...

I have literally never heard anybody say that

The point he's making is that you'd be arguing against it if it was Kane/Aguero etc blanking in the big games but because it's Salah it's ok.

This exactly
    Fair play to Shano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Perhaps you don't know Rebel's style of posting. He's a fair, decent poster who calls a spade a spade, so probably wouldn't engage in that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Don't have the exact up-to-last-game records, but I'm fairly sure that since Salah started playing for Liverpool nobody in the PL has more goals against the top 6 than Salah.

Aguero might have bettered it since his back to back hattricks tho!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You've obviously never really discussed my with Rebel have you? He isn't into petty arguments like some are.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Don't have the exact up-to-last-game records, but I'm fairly sure that since Salah started playing for Liverpool nobody in the PL has more goals against the top 6 than Salah.

Aguero might have bettered it since his back to back hattricks tho!

Can't find his end of season stat for last season, but by early February he had 7 goals against the other top 6 sides. It's regressed this season obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can't find his end of season stat for last season, but by early February he had 7 goals against the other top 6 sides. It's regressed this season obviously.

Quite clear the top teams now have plans to stop Salah ,
    Thankfully Liverpool are not a one man team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Quite clear the top teams now have plans to stop Salah ,
    Thankfully Liverpool are not a one man team ,

Virgil says hi.

Kane and Aguero are out and out centre forwards and focal point of there teams attack Salah is not ,

Salah plays as right sided inside forward as often as he plays centre forward big difference

• Advertisement

Virgil says hi.

He didn't play against Bayern 6 in a row German champions our 4th choice CB and a midfielder played and they didn't have a single shot on target,

He makes us better without doubt but certainly not a one man team,

Like United if they miss De Gea or Pogba for instance ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Liverpool will envelop United in a cocoon of horror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Different pressures on both teams, Ole will know that he can’t be beaten comprehensively here or it will damage his chances of getting the gig, dare I say we could see a Mourinho-esque big game performance from United on Sunday.

Will probably see the pressure cracks in this Liverpool side in the next few months hopefully starting this weekend, being favourites for the league with 2.5 months to go will do that to you.

Klopp needs to win a trophy this season surely, I can see him being sacked before the end of the year if not, no manager with a trophy allergy will last this long at a club wanting to be in the top bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Klopp needs to win a trophy this season surely, I can see him being sacked before the end of the year if not, no manager with a trophy allergy will last this long at a club wanting to be in the top bracket.

No chance he'd be sacked, think you're way off on that but maybe you don't follow the situation at Liverpool closely enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ebbsy wrote: »
    Liverpool will envelop United in a cocoon of horror.

Are you saying united will be taken on a tour of jurgens dental work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

2-1 to United I reckon, it galls me to say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Different pressures on both teams, Ole will know that he can’t be beaten comprehensively here or it will damage his chances of getting the gig, dare I say we could see a Mourinho-esque big game performance from United on Sunday.

Will probably see the pressure cracks in this Liverpool side in the next few months hopefully starting this weekend, being favourites for the league with 2.5 months to go will do that to you.

Liverpool are not favourites.

4c1bb5cb934710852a5c6f94f0f59079.png

Liverpool were a Europa League club before Klopp took over.
    Made the CL once in the previous 7 seasons.

Finishing 2nd would still be big progress from last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When has a manager been sacked for improving a club?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Handy one for Liverpool. Similar to the PSG game last week and the home game from December, United will fail again under the pressure of playing a decent footballing side. 1-3 with Salah, Mane, Firmino scoring and Lukaku with a consolation

8-10 wrote: »
    No chance he'd be sacked, think you're way off on that but maybe you don't follow the situation at Liverpool closely enough
    Shows how out of touch United fans are,

Jurgen he has improved Liverpool every single season without fail since he took over,

I guess they can't remember how bad Liverpool have been since the Rafa days,

Champions league final in our first season back which no one seen coming,

Joint top in Feb this season which no one seen coming,

Fair enough no trophy yet but year on year improvement so far if it continues the trophies will come,

8-10 wrote: »

Your dead right as I said at start of season klopps job is safe as houses because Liverpool have different standards to the rest of top clubs.

Pool just want to be up there in the reckoning at the end of the season because of where they come from they won't say a manager needs to win the league or a cup to progress this club.

I think it's just a fear of dropping back to where they were before klopp took over and as we see a few posts up any argument against nor winning the league is based on reminding people oh we were a Europa league club without klopp.

So yeah klopp is safe enough just keep them up there doesn't even need to win a cup because they just get in the way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement