Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool 24/2/2019 k/o 14.05 Sky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

FA Cup and League Cup are worthless

But teams do aim to wins these once they hit quarter final stage but aren't to bother if they go out ,

Europa league is basically as winning the championship in Europe,
    How can you celebrate it when the top teams are not even in it,
    Only celebration of wining it for United was really cause they didn't finish in the top 4 that year, but to celebrate the actually trophy is sad,

No sir.

What is sad is you coming in here trying to mock people that celebrate their team winning a trophy.

Good day to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

But teams do aim to wins these once they hit quarter final stage but aren't to bother if they go out ,

Europa league is basically as winning the championship in Europe,
    Only celebration of wining it for United was really cause they didn't finish in the top 4 that year, but to celebrate the actually trophy is sad,

:pac::pac::pac:

Jesus ya ye were gutted when ye win it in 2001 alright:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Versus the league or the the champions league, ultimately yes.

However United have been in a massive transitional period since (before even) the GOAT left so to see the team pick up all 3 of the lesser trophies while simultaneously being "The worst United team in a generation" is better than most other teams have managed.

We havnt been at the races in terms of the big two trophies but have won all of the ones we were involved in over the last 5 year's.

Winning everything that we could win at the level were were/are currently at is decent going, regardless of how many of our enemies poo poo the achievements.

One of the first mentions of cups was by jayo26 and
    jayo26 wrote: »
    So yeah klopp is safe enough just keep them up there doesn't even need to win a cup because they just get in the way.

Even though its quite clear cups arent seen as progression in big sides when the manager gets sacked when he wins one like in 2016. So i think ita cleae that from a managers pov your aswell off to focus on the big competitions rather than the smaller ones,cos tbey aint going to save you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

:pac::pac::pac:

Jesus ya ye were gutted when ye win it in 2001 alright:pac:

I wasn't fussed to be honest ,
    Wolves don't go around banging on about being championship winners ,
    In definition its the second division of Europe ,

No sir.

What is sad is you coming in here trying to mock people that celebrate their team winning a trophy.

Good day to you.

As I said I can see why teams celebrate the two cups in England,

But I can't for the life of me see why "BIG" clubs celebrate wining the Europa

Unless as I said if it gets you into the champions league when you haven't qualified from you league like it did for United,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I wasn't fussed to be honest ,
    Wolves don't go around banging on about being championship winners ,
    In definition its the second division of Europe ,

So your saying yer Uefa cups, FA Cups and league Cups are just waste of time really?

So your saying yer Uefa cups, FA Cups and league Cups are just waste of time really?

No not at all,
    I'm saying for " BIG "clubs its about the big two trophies ,

Actually a lot of people out the loss of grandeur of the FA cup down to United ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

No not at all,
    I'm saying for " BIG "clubs its about the big two trophies ,

Actually a lot of people out the loss of grandeur of the FA cup down to United ,

Maybe in Ireland they do, maybe even the English clubs & managers do too but I can assure the English fans of these football clubs don’t & barring Chelsea United & City they shouldn’t either considering with the exception of Leicester outside of them 3 clubs nobody’s getting a sniff of a league title. Yet.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Maybe in Ireland they do, maybe even the English clubs & managers do too but I can assure the English fans of these football clubs don’t & barring Chelsea United & City they shouldn’t either considering with the exception of Leicester outside of them 3 clubs nobody’s getting a sniff of a league title. Yet.

To be fair United have even been close since Fergie left ,
    Spurs have been close twice in recent years and still in the hunt this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think any fan of a team that hasnt won much in the decade should be willingly f**king cups out the window and playing down their worth.

That being said, if I was offered winning on Sunday and finishing 5th or getting another hammering from City and limp to 4th, I'd take 4th every time.

I'd also be absolutely delighted if Chelsea win the Europa this year, it was at the start of the season, the 2nd biggest trophy available to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

As I said I can see why teams celebrate the two cups in England,

But I can't for the life of me see why "BIG" clubs celebrate wining the Europa

Unless as I said if it gets you into the champions league when you haven't qualified from you league like it did for United,
    Did losing the europa league final scar you emotionally?

😢😢😢

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Did losing the europa league final scar you emotionally?

😢😢😢

It seems he didn't want to win it anyway.

To be fair United have even been close since Fergie left ,
    Spurs have been close twice in recent years and still in the hunt this year

Yeah but they’ve still got a league title in the last 10 years was my point. Any team gone over 10 years without a league title has no right to downplay cup competitions is my point, especially a manager who just has 3 domestic competitions won in his career & still waiting for a first trophy at Liverpool.

I just find it arrogant how Klopp has sent out weakened teams in both cups & got knocked out in the first game in both. The end justifies the means so if they win the league, it looks like a master stroke, if they end up trophyless he deserves the criticism he will get for another empty season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yeah but they’ve still got a league title in the last 10 years was my point. Any team gone over 10 years without a league title has no right to downplay cup competitions is my point, especially a manager who just has 3 domestic competitions won in his career & still waiting for a first trophy at Liverpool.

I just find it arrogant how Klopp has sent out weakened teams in both cups & got knocked out in the first game in both. The end justifies the means so if they win the league, it looks like a master stroke, if they end up trophyless he deserves the criticism he will get for another empty season.

TBF, one of the game was against Chelsea and we were actually playing well at that time, at the same time the game could have easily seen Liverpool win as they missed 2 sitters at 1-1 IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

2007fa.jpg

Your dead right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Finishing in the Top 4 is enough for any owners bar Man City and maybe Chelsea. United, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal managers are safe with CL football.

Too highlight my point.

Wenger - FA cups -sacked
    LVG - FA cup - sacked
    Mourinho - league cup and EL - sacked.
    Conte - fa cup - sacked

The level the others club would need to spend to be consistent PL challengers is huge and most owners are just going to be happy with Top 4.

Ole will absolutely get the job permanently if he secures 4th place. Its a business, providing trophies for the fans is secondary unfortunately.

I'm not trodding on Uniteds achievements, I wouldnt mind Liverpool having won them but the ultimately don't matter anymore.

The suggestion Klopp should be sacked if he doesnt win the league or CL is ridiculous, Liverpool are in an infinitely better position with him as manager, on the pitch and financially.

rob316 wrote: »

The suggestion Klopp should be sacked if he doesnt win the league or CL is ridiculous, Liverpool are in an infinitely better position with him as manager, on the pitch and financially.

Not really suggesting he should be sacked, more that he would be sacked if he went 4 years without a trophy at United City or Chelsea. There has to be a cut off point where you either as the manager say, I’ve got to win any trophy here this year or the board say, let’s start again with someone new.

Playing attractive football only works if you lift trophies, other wise it might as well be Big Sam in there if the end result is the same at the seasons end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Not really suggesting he should be sacked, more that he would be sacked if he went 4 years without a trophy at United City or Chelsea. There has to be a cut off point where you either as the manager say, I’ve got to win any trophy here this year or the board say, let’s start again with someone new.

Playing attractive football only works if you lift trophies, other wise it might as well be Big Sam in there if the end result is the same at the seasons end.

I presume you feel the same about Pochettino also at Spurs ?

Patience is all but gone for many modern day football fans it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

gstack166 wrote:

Id go further and say 5 years. United have no business pretending they are relevant to a title race right now. Havent won it in how long now? Times change quickly and before you know it your 15 years or 30 years without a title. Ask arsenal and liverpool fans.

ricero wrote: »
    I presume you feel the same about Pochettino also at Spurs ?

Patience is all but gone for many modern day football fans it seems

Course not! Once they both keep coming up empty handed I hope they stay there forever more.there comes a time when everyone’s time at a place is up if they don’t win trophies at a top 6 club is all in saying. Realistically if Liverpool don’t win a trophy this year how many more years can they back Klopp before they move on?

• Advertisement

gstack166 wrote:
    Course not! Once they both keep coming up empty handed I hope they stay there forever more.there comes a time when everyone’s time at a place is up if they don’t win trophies at a top 6 club is all in saying. Realistically if Liverpool don’t win a trophy this year how many more years can they back Klopp before they move on?

That is a ridiculous statement.

Liverpool should keep backing klopp as long as they look like they are evolving. When they stagnate then he should leave. Liverpool played the best stuff in europe last season and got to a champions league final. They won nothing but youd be an idiot to think they had a bad season. This year people said city would run away with it and nobody not even Liverpool had a slight chance. Yet they are going toe to toe with them. Sure they might not win but again you would be an absolute moron to think they had a bad season. Perspective is what separate the airchair fan with people who know what they are talking about.

Mr.H wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous statement.

Liverpool should keep backing klopp as long as they look like they are evolving. When they stagnate then he should leave. Liverpool played the best stuff in europe last season and got to a champions league final. They won nothing but youd be an idiot to think they had a bad season. This year people said city would run away with it and nobody not even Liverpool had a slight chance. Yet they are going toe to toe with them. Sure they might not win but again you would be an absolute moron to think they had a bad season. Perspective is what separate the airchair fan with people who know what they are talking about.

I never once said they had a bad season last year or that they’re weren’t evolving either but you cannot keep pumping money into the team for this manager if the rewards don’t come with it. He’s been more than generously backed in the transfer market regardless of the money coming from the old chestnut about Sterling, Coutinho & Suarez sales, Klopp has only lost Coutinho as far as I’m aware of his big players since he arrived?

Everybody knew too that Liverpool would be the biggest challengers to City this year also, theyre not some dark horse that have sprung up out of nowhere like some like to proclaim, ante post odds of 4/1 to win the league proves that. I know that was the price because I’ve backed them each way knowing I would get my money back because the worst they were gong to finish was second, maybe the ‘airchair fan’ didnt cop onto it as much as those who know what they’re talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool since Rafa left 10 years ago have bounced around 6th and 7th with an anomaly of one title challenge and let's be honest before Klopp run exceptionally poor. There starting point has been much lower than that of city, United or Chelsea.

No shame losing to real in the cl and city in the league cup. Maybe there's a case he should of beaten Sevilla but they were a better side than Liverpool at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Liverpool since Rafa left 10 years ago have bounced around 6th and 7th with an anomaly of one title challenge and let's be honest before Klopp run exceptionally poor. There starting point has been much lower than that of city, United or Chelsea.

No shame losing to real in the cl and city in the league cup. Maybe there's a case he should of beaten Sevilla but they were a better side than Liverpool at the time.

Exactly.
    How come armchair fans with their imaginary bets can't see this?

gstack166 wrote:
    I never once said they had a bad season last year or that they’re weren’t evolving either but you cannot keep pumping money into the team for this manager if the rewards don’t come with it. He’s been more than generously backed in the transfer market regardless of the money coming from the old chestnut about Sterling, Coutinho & Suarez sales, Klopp has only lost Coutinho as far as I’m aware of his big players since he arrived?

So what exactly is your point? While everyone bores dearly of the net spend talk, he hasnt exactly spent a whole lot more than be brought in. So the whole stopping his backing is pie in the sky. So what will they do, give him less than the 20 million a season(plus player sales) to spend? I mean if your not suggesting sacking him then what are you suggesting? Because now your even saying liverpool havent had poor seasons yet your advocating an action to which you havent even decided on what it will be.

Liverpools run last season has generated far more prize money than all of uniteds prize money since fergie left. So if your claiming the owners are not getting good return on what they are spending then united might as well close shop now. While liverpool have spend big, united have not been covering their spree with player sales. They have pumped a a billion quid into a team who has a couple of trophies that their own fans slag off.

I for one would love it if we beat them...........

All jokes aside i would love an fa cup or league cup. I dont get the downplaying of them. Its purely done to negate other teams success.

Exactly.
    How come armchair fans with their imaginary bets can't see this?

Lol. Season ticket holder since 1998 here & ive no reason to lie about any bets.

Lol. Season ticket holder since 1998 here & ive no reason to lie about any bets.

Sound <SNIP> if you say so, I just had a <SNIP> feeling ya were fibbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Jesus Christ some absolute bellends follow football

Sound Gerry if you say so, I just had a nigGLiNg feeling ya were fibbing.

Aww, seeing as you’ve done your homework on me & my location then I don’t need to say anything, Cos you already know, don’t you. Bit creepy but funny too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Any decent betting man knows that to claim now to have put a bet on an outcome that now looks likely, at a time last year before the competition begun at 4/1 odds, is aftertiming. Aftertiming is poor form and bad etiquette.

The only way you can respectfully make that claim for is to either post a screenshot of your bet or link to a comment where you said an the time you were putting it on.

Either would do. To not post proof and just make the claim just isn't on to be fair. You can also withdraw the comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Jesus Christ some absolute bellends follow football

Still two days left till the match so they'll be plenty by both sides.
    Match thread open since yeaterday with the match on sunday will be nothing short of a mess up and people asking to be banned come monday.

Any footballer can see liverpool's front three havent been on the same form as last season, but VVD and Allison have brought the form the back line so much so Lovren, who many a pool fan slated last year has looked well beside VVD. Anyone thinking klopp will get the sack in the near future is daft, he's growing the club again.

United in seriously good run of form, Ole's come in and reignited this team again. Has done incredibly well as an interim manager with such a seriously short space of time with the players within his appointment. Recognises players need to play for the badge again and had brought brilliant performances from Hererra, Lindelof, Matic, Lingard. These players were pretty much given up on or sidelined. Whatever he's doing there it's working.

If Spurs win the weekend, UTD beat Liverpool, then Spurs are rightly in it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say - "quote posts properly". Jesus it's fecking annoying :pac:[
    /QUOTE]

Like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

And if you look at Spanish firms they may have had Sevilla as favourites.

Bookies odds always tend to go to lessen the odds where most money is going, so in Spain you'd assume local money goes on the local team, thus shortening the odds on Sevilla in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How?

Like sure big teams celebrate draws at home but always after a comeback. United against Burnley recently, Chelsea against United earlier in the season. And of course the famous Liverpool West Brom game. But when has a top 6 team celebrated a 0-0 at home ever?????
    Liverpool Vs Man city. I know I did a little after the penalty miss

8-10 wrote: »
    Any decent betting man knows that to claim now to have put a bet on an outcome that now looks likely, at a time last year before the competition begun at 4/1 odds, is aftertiming. Aftertiming is poor form and bad etiquette.

The only way you can respectfully make that claim for is to either post a screenshot of your bet or link to a comment where you said an the time you were putting it on.

Either would do. To not post proof and just make the claim just isn't on to be fair. You can also withdraw the comment

Surprise surprise, no response from him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool Vs Man city. I know I did a little after the penalty miss

Yep I was happy with that result, we were lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DonalK1981 wrote: »

Like this?

Reported. You deserve a lifetime ban :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Gstack, if you think Liverpool were a good bet at 4/1 for the league at the start of the season you should reass value.

I looked at the odds myself and there were around 4/1 as I recall and I thought it was a terrible price.

Considering as everyone thought City would runaway with the league you were essentially backing an evens shot to finish 2nd.

Who pre season would have been challenging against Spurs Chelsea United for that position...

As another poster said you're essentially aftertiming which is poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Finishing in the Top 4 is enough for any owners bar Man City and maybe Chelsea. United, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal managers are safe with CL football.

Too highlight my point.

Wenger - FA cups -sacked
    LVG - FA cup - sacked
    Mourinho - league cup and EL - sacked.
    Conte - fa cup - sacked

The level the others club would need to spend to be consistent PL challengers is huge and most owners are just going to be happy with Top 4.

Ole will absolutely get the job permanently if he secures 4th place. Its a business, providing trophies for the fans is secondary unfortunately.

I'm not trodding on Uniteds achievements, I wouldnt mind Liverpool having won them but the ultimately don't matter anymore.

Rob, would you ever f**k off out of here with your sense - not the thread for it.

• Advertisement

So combined xi's....:pac:
    Ddg
    Taa lindelof vvd robertson
    Matic gini
    Pogba
    Salah rashford mane

On a side note,paul merson picked luke shaw over roberston :[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Manu will re be delighted with a draw here. Shows the complete demise of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Slattsy wrote: »
    Manu will re be delighted with a draw here. Shows the complete demise of the club.

They beat Liverpool in the same fixture last year on the way to finishing second. A draw is acceptable, a loss unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Slattsy wrote: »

Clapped toward the kop stand like a trophy win after a draw with west brom good lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

hkgSpF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Toobz wrote: »
    Clapped toward the kop stand like a trophy win after a draw with west brom good lad

Was a strange thing to do at the time for sure..

d22ontour wrote: »

A draw with west brom with that team was some result.
    Ibe....*shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

As long as he was emotional then its all good, emotions for some people are all that counts...

As long as he was emotional then its all good, emotions for some people are all that counts...

Where spending a billion quid on an fa cup is grand for others:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Context, as ever, is everything. He was applauding the fans who had stayed to the end, supporting the team (the draw came from a late equalizer too I think).

He’d publicly admonished the crowd the previous week for leaving early, saying the team needed them to stay to the bitter end and keep the atmosphere up.

This was a thank you for listening, and responding.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement