Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MRI result delays

• 21-02-2019 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all, hope this is the correct forum to post in.

I had an mri recently and was told the results would be available within 24 hours, and 48 hours at the latest. I rang my gp who advised me the results have been delayed but should be ready tomorrow.

Is this a bad sign? I presume if all good a report would be straightforward and quick. I may be overreacting, and need a spoon of cop-on!!

Thanks in advance.

*Edited to add it was a privately paid mri.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sabrewolfe

To be honest i'd be surprised if you got the result back that quickly just in general. The radiographer does the scan and then the radiologist will do up their report and send it to your GP, these usually get posted. Its usually only inpatient scans and urgent testing that gets prioritised to be done immediately.

I generally wouldn't worry. It can take a while for the Radiologist to do the report and then get around to calling your doctor, most radiologists wont leave a message about a scan but would rather talk to the doctor directly which isn't always possible due to clinic hours etc etc. If they cant get your doc they will just post the results to the gp surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lemonee_

Hi Sabrewolfe,

Okay, that makes it quite clearer to me. I didn’t understand the exact process with regard to the reports etc. I probably took the technician too literally regards to time! I got a little caught up with worry and forgot they have many patients etc. to deal with also.

Thank you for the quick reply and the reassuring words!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The results may be read in that time frame. but not passed on to your gp/consultant as quickly.Mine usually take a week at the very least and I have an exceptionally efficient neuro!

Advertisement