Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBI clearance

Options
  • 21-02-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm an American living in Ireland for 25yrs. I have residency and permission to work. Recently I was offered employment and had to get garda vetting.. No problem. But the company wants me to get clearance from America as well. I haven't lived or worked there in 25yrs! Does any one have any input on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Would your prospective employer accept a certificate of good character (aka 'no convictions') from the local police in the place you last lived in in US? What kind of a job is it that wants to dig into your past beyond 25 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

It might just be a part of their employment terms and conditions.

I'm Irish living in the US and they had it as a precondition for me here. I told them I could get a Garda clearance cert for the Irish stuff but then the CEO realized that he wouldn't know a garda clearance cert if he saw one anyway so they just let the issue go.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Yank67

It might just be a part of their employment terms and conditions.

I'm Irish living in the US and they had it as a precondition for me here. I told them I could get a Garda clearance cert for the Irish stuff but then the CEO realized that he wouldn't know a garda clearance cert if he saw one anyway so they just let the issue go.
    Similar thing happened to my son.. They wanted his high school diploma. He said he can get his leaving results from Ireland but they told him not to bother because they wouldn't know what they were looking at.

coylemj wrote: »
    Would your prospective employer accept a certificate of good character (aka 'no convictions') from the local police in the place you last lived in in US? What kind of a job is it that wants to dig into your past beyond 25 years ago?
    Hi. They made it clear that it had to be a garda vetting. All is good now. I was able to do it online for 18$. I just need to get finger printed and send it to the FBI in West Virginia. It's an office job in a center that helps children with disabilities. So I understand their concern. I just thought they were asking for the impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sj20111

Yank67 wrote: »
    I just need to get finger printed and send it to the FBI in West Virginia.

I'll have to ask for an FBI clearance soon myself. Would you mind sharing where you had your fingerprints done for the form you have to send off to W. Virginia?

• Advertisement

sj20111 wrote: »
    I'll have to ask for an FBI clearance soon myself. Would you mind sharing where you had your fingerprints done for the form you have to send off to W. Virginia?

Hi.. Here is the link I used.. you can do it online now. Except for the fingerprints. I downloaded and printed the official form and I'll bring it to my local barracks.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

I'll let you know what their system is, as soon as I go.

Advertisement