Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of an Era - Reggie Retiring

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190221005804/en/

Retires April 15th with Doug Bowser taking over

Awww, he was great fun, pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sligeach will be delighted. :o

I always liked Reggie though. Good luck to him.

Just hope he isn't heading off to one of the other two (or three - Google!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »

Maybe he'll take a place next to Romero, down in Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I liked Reggie I must say. He's said some cringworthy stuff over the years as well as some genuinely funny stuff and some absolute top class PR spin getting all types of fan boys riled up.

Hope he enjoys his retirement anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At 57, it could just be early retirement and not moving to somewhere else.

Surely Nintendo knew they were in for a lot of playing on Doug's surname when they picked him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wait, Bowser is taking over Nintendo???

Hard not to get a bit emotional during that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Reggie was great, had a real enjoyable presentation style and was hugely respected in the industry. I think people mistakenly just see him as the face of interviews, directs etc but he of course was doing 90% of his job out of public eye. You only have to look at the huge jobs he had before Nintendo, jobs that weren't about him being in front of the screen. It also seemed like whatever wacky, mad thing they asked him to do for sake of presentation he did. I, for one, will definitely miss him on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Reggie will always be a legend, always was fond of him, he will be missed.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Good riddance I say. He was nothing more than a string puppet for NOJ and a bull$h1t merchant. I don't wish him any ill will, but whatever.

I think you're in the minority, my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Puppet you say?

cfa.gif

Only Miyamoto left :( And he's 66...

I think you're in the minority, my friend.

Perhaps. I'm not bothered though. Iwata was great, Miyamoto too though probably past it, I respect absolutely. They shaped my childhood and beyond. Legends! Why would anyone care for Reggie? What does he do? He wouldn't jump without asking NOJ how high. "Taking names and kicking ass", a load of b0110x. Maybe he does good work behind the scenes, but I definitely won't miss his public face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Reggie is a legend. I think so many video game fans (Nintendo and non-Nintendo alike) can relate to him. Wishing him a healthy retirement. Thanks for the memories, Reg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sligeach wrote: »
    Good riddance I say. He was nothing more than a string puppet for NOJ and a bull$h1t merchant. I don't wish him any ill will, but whatever.

Shocked that I actually agree with a post of yours. :D

But yeah, not one bit sad he's leaving, never liked his bs or the smug demeanour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Reggie was always a huge personality in presentations and he'll be missed! Great video above! Loved how many of the little things we all liked to laugh about that he'd done that he worked into that!

Reggie may go, but it'll be a long time before he's forgotten!

I found him to be a front-man, a caricature at times of what an industry spokesperson typically is, perhaps.

latest?cb=20070609171043
    reggie_wii_u.jpg

But I tell you what.

He was a refreshing change from the usual men in suits that we were used to.
    He was always performing to a script, of course he was but he did appear to have enthusiasm for Nintendo and it's products, and certainly engaged with most of the buying public, even when they were just the die-hard fans who never gave up on Nintendo.
    Over the decades of videogames and consoles, the scene has become defined not only by the iconic games and the iconic hardware, but also by the men and women that make it feel more than just a niche hobby in a teenagers bedroom, bringing it into the living room and office, as much a part of our lives as movies, music and books.

And Nintendo have had a great run of personalities who have entertained and promoted their products, with Reggie being one of them.
    So, hopefully Mr Bowser will retire from kidnapping Daisy, get his nephews to lay off taking over Mushroom Land castles and keeps for a little while, and keep bringing Nintendo goodness to my living room.... which, by a cruel twist of fate, will certainly involve further instances of Bowser kidnapping Daisy and getting his nephews to take over Mushroom Land castles and keeps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

My body is ready.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, hopefully Mr Bowser will retire from kidnapping Daisy, get his nephews to lay off taking over Mushroom Land castles and keeps for a little while, and keep bringing Nintendo goodness to my living room.... which, by a cruel twist of fate, will certainly involve further instances of Bowser kidnapping Daisy and getting his nephews to take over Mushroom Land castles and keeps...

It's Peach ��, not Daisy ��. I know you know. Just got them mixed up. :)

sligeach wrote: »
    It's Peach ��, not Daisy ��. I know you know. Just got them mixed up. :)

I like Daisy... Peach is nasty....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

I’ll miss the “my body is Reggie” memes for upcoming Ninty hardware announcements :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The farewell the man deserves...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Advertisement
Advertisement