Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plummer terrier

• 21-02-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Do Plummer terriers speak/bark/ give tongue on scent when hunting/bushing. Or what’s the best breed of terrier for hunting over ground with the best chance of giving tongue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

sf1994 wrote: »
    Do Plummer terriers speak/bark/ give tongue on scent when hunting/bushing. Or what’s the best breed of terrier for hunting over ground with the best chance of giving tongue?

I don't have any experience with regard Plummers, but a few lads I know rate them as a very usefull breed. As reguards giving tongue, would you consider a teagle? Great nose, fairly tidy size wise, and usually give tongue too. Also jagd terrier can make a good bushing dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Most of the working breeds should give tongue, trouble is finding genuine 100% working stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sf1994

Eddie B wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with regard Plummers, but a few lads I know rate them as a very usefull breed. As reguards giving tongue, would you consider a teagle? Great nose, fairly tidy size wise, and usually give tongue too. Also jagd terrier can make a good bushing dog.

Yah heard good things about teagles but never had one. I have a barking springer bitch and I want to get couple more bushing type dogs. We work hounds regularly in big covers but want to try out something different for small covers along with my springer. Heard good things about Plummer’s but I never heard anyone saying they give tongue. Any breed of terrier would do as long as they gave a yap.

Most of the working breeds should give tongue, trouble is finding genuine 100% working stock.

Did you ever know of a Plummer giving tongue or in your opinion what’s the most likely terrier Breed to give tongue. Was talking to a lad and he said a parson Russell or border. I don’t want a very hard terrier either, I would be more into the bushing side of it.

Did you ever know of a Plummer giving tongue or in your opinion what’s the most likely terrier Breed to give tongue. Was talking to a lad and he said a parson Russell or border. I don’t want a very hard terrier either, I would be more into the bushing side of it.

The best of dogs we had down tru the years were off rough coated parsons. The original plummers would be exactly what your looking for. There's actually beagle blood in them so they should in theory give great tongue. But it's hard get a right one. Im in the process of importing a jagd terrier at the moment so fingers crossed he ll work out

• Advertisement

The best of dogs we had down tru the years were off rough coated parsons. The original plummers would be exactly what your looking for. There's actually beagle blood in them so they should in theory give great tongue. But it's hard get a right one. Im in the process of importing a jagd terrier at the moment so fingers crossed he ll work out

Friend of mine imported one years ago. Excellent in cover and only gave tongue on fox. If the dog gave tongue on a fox drive, expect a fox to bolt. He was on the big side too, so couldn't fit in most earths, which most lads would prefer these days.

If ye hear of any parson/border/Plummer terrier pups under 5 months that might be suitable pm me.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Friend of mine imported one years ago. Excellent in cover and only gave tongue on fox. If the dog gave tongue on a fox drive, expect a fox to bolt. He was on the big side too, so couldn't fit in most earths, which most lads would prefer these days.

Ya that’s that’s the type of dog I’m hoping for, sure we ll see what happens.
    This is a picture of him at 12 weeks, he looks fairly strong

Ya that’s that’s the type of dog I’m hoping for, sure we ll see what happens.
    This is a picture of him at 12 weeks, he looks fairly strong

That is a fine pup. Hope he works out for you. Pity there isn't more posts on here reguarding terrier, lurcher work, bushing etc. Must be plenty lads out there involved in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

We had a wide haired fox terrier here that was one of the best we ever had. Bark as soon as she came on a fox and no stop till the fox stoped.

• Advertisement

Benny mcc wrote: »
    We had a wide haired fox terrier here that was one of the best we ever had. Bark as soon as she came on a fox and no stop till the fox stoped.

Wire haired

Yea I think this was said earlier, but I'll make it a little more clearer. When it comes to dogs giving tongue, you really need to find decent breeding. You can buy a pup of any breed, but you will have no idea if it'll give tongue or not once old enough to hunt. Some dogs naturally do, and some just won't. What you really need to look for is someone who is working and breeding decent dogs for bushing. Quality dogs that have good hunting and baying instinct. You have the best chance of getting a bayer from good stock.

Wire haired

I hear about terriers they don’t stay gone as long as hounds when they put out a fox, would ya reckon this to be the truth? I have of experience of hounds staying going a while.

I hear about terriers they don’t stay gone as long as hounds when they put out a fox, would ya reckon this to be the truth? I have of experience of hounds staying going a while.
    We find every dog is different and what's more different are the owners of the dogs. All the lads we hunt with will tell us different ways of working a dog but I think it's luck

Luck in like what Eddie said you can have a great dog and a pup of same dog can often turn out useless

Luck in like what Eddie said you can have a great dog and a pup of same dog can often turn out useless

Ya had them in hounds

Yea very true reguarding luck. You can get a cracking dog out of average parents, and get a useless one out of excellent parents. But you obviously up your chances of getting what you want, if you seek good breeding from someone who is actively working their dogs on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have a quarter Plummer three quarter Jack Russel that is working well but he wouldn't be much good for your needs. He's a great dog to wind game but doesn't make a sound above ground. In ground he'll sound alright but only if he can't get on in a tight corner. His father and grandfather were the same, no sounding above ground and mixing it in a burrow until dug to.

I've been keeping terriers a while now and brought him in to freshen things up, he's just over two years old and was bred by a friend of mine who like myself breeds just for digging.

I crossed him with my 3 year old 7/8ths Patterdale bitch who's line I have for a long while, have to say I've been very lucky so far and every pup I ever bred has worked, but they are bred for underground work and I like them a tidy size.

Like EddieB said, a Teagal without a doubt is the best bet for what you want.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I have a quarter Plummer three quarter Jack Russel that is working well but he wouldn't be much good for your needs. He's a great dog to wind game but doesn't make a sound above ground. In ground he'll sound alright but only if he can't get on in a tight corner. His father and grandfather were the same, no sounding above ground and mixing it in a burrow until dug to.

I've been keeping terriers a while now and brought him in to freshen things up, he's just over two years old and was bred by a friend of mine who like myself breeds just for digging.

I crossed him with my 3 year old 7/8ths Patterdale bitch who's line I have for a long while, have to say I've been very lucky so far and every pup I ever bred has worked, but they are bred for underground work and I like them a tidy size.

Like EddieB said, a Teagal without a doubt is the best bet for what you want.

I was reading about them being a good bush dog but never heard anything about them giving tongue. So ya I think a teagle would suit what I’m after or possibly a parson/border off barking parents.(might be hard found but I’ll keep an eye out) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 midland_pat

I second what Benny said! I got a wired haired fox terrier who took to foxing like nothing I’ve ever seen! He would take into a ditch barking and a couple of seconds later you could bet your house on a fox bolting! The only issue was getting him to switch off! Once he honed in he was locked into it and if the fox went running so would he! If you keep your eyes peeled on Done deal you should be able to spot a genuine seller of working strain.

Another option could be patterdale terrier? Strong dog and good for work.

• Advertisement

I second what Benny said! I got a wired haired fox terrier who took to foxing like nothing I’ve ever seen! He would take into a ditch barking and a couple of seconds later you could bet your house on a fox bolting! The only issue was getting him to switch off! Once he honed in he was locked into it and if the fox went running so would he! If you keep your eyes peeled on Done deal you should be able to spot a genuine seller of working strain.

Another option could be patterdale terrier? Strong dog and good for work.

Thanks for your reply, yah possibly a fox terrier. But want a dog more for bushing than underground so a patterdale might be a bit hard. Just something you could move from small cover to small cover with.

Advertisement